I guess we don't hunt much in the south

HRstretch

Either that or we post everything in other sections. If work doesn't get in the way, I'm planning another trip to Dilley, Texas to take my Dad and, FIL and three BIL's pig hunting. Hope the trip will be successful, haven't had any hunters down there in a while so should be good.

I hunt Alabama for whitetail and Mississippi for ducks. Going on my first elk hunt this October and have fallen completely in love with the west. My entire family, since the early 1800's, has lived in the south - mostly AL, MS, and FL. My wife and I plan to move out west when we get the kids out of college in about 8-9 years

Hunting in the South

Although the Rocky Mountain States have my heart and I hunt elk and mule deer there, I live in Texas. I hunt Texas and Arkansas every year for whitetail deer, hogs, collard peccary, prairie dogs and coyote. Of course I will take a bobcat if he shows himself.:)

Born and raised in Texas and except for one Pheasant hunt in South Dakota, I have never hunted in another state. I envy others that have had that oppurtunity and resources to do so. Some day I will get to the mountains to see what its all about. Assuming that it will be affordable to the common man.

I guess I need to get a supplier or contractor to come up with this idea of an out of state hunt?

Man if your in Texas I wouldnt worry about hunting anywhere else:) I am over in MS and make a couple of trips to TX every year to hunt. I usually get a cow elk hunt in NM in every other year and a bull hunt at least every 4 years, and drew an oryx tag for white sands this year. I hunt northern VA a couple of weeks every year for whitetails. But, If I could only hunt one state other than my home state of MS it would be TX. There should be exotics running around everywhere so I wouldnt have to go to TX to get my axis meat:)

Eddybo, don't get me wrong, I love hunting Texas and all that it has to offer. I have hunted MuleDeer in the Pala Duro canyon in the pan handle, white tails in central Texas, hill country and south Texas and each place were unique to each part of this great state. I have killed a lot of hogs and one Axis spike and this is all with in my Texas border.

All I was saying is that hunting in big wide open public land in virtually non existent here in this great state. Except for the mule deer hunt most of my hunting has been from blinds. Walk and stalks are not the norm here and is becoming a lost art to many Texas hunters.

Partner I can feel your pain! I moved back to NC from a 35 yr hitch in Florida. Public land, I mean land where you don't have to do alot of duckin' has gottn' scarce! Nothing I love more than walking and glassing but even in NC you better have a thick wallet to hunt. Everything is leased! And I mean high -dollar leases! But I found a silver lining in the cloud here...most everyone is a dog hunter or has a hard time gettin' too far from the truck. I realised I had the woods on our meager hunting lease almost totally completely deserted except for just a couple of us who'll grab a climbing stand or a popup blind. Don't get me wrong, I'm almost 57 years old and I still love to hear a good race first thing in the morning but pretty soon I gotta slip off in the pines and sit over a nice clearcut....

I hunt a good bit here in central/south central MS. Mostly just whitetail and squirrel. Don't have too many rabbits or hogs around my area.

I venture off to other areas from time to time. I hardly ever hunt anything more than property I own. Every now and then I'll get invited to hunt somewhere else through work or something of the sort though. Been to Southwest Texas a couple times, and a couple places in MS.

Louisiana is a SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE...if you've got ten million $$$$$$ and own 5000 acres of timberland!!

If not.....forget hunting!!

North Alabama is the same, join a club with a lease or don't hunt. I was in a club for a few years, but the in fighting in the old guard finally got to be more than I could stomach. I miss the days when I could walk out the back door and go squirrel hunting.

My hunts these days are limited to a once a year trip somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.