I guess the 17 WSM is effective on big coyotes.

Ohlongarm

Savage B-mag 20 grain at 3000 fps hit this male chest dead center at 110 yard bait station,dropped instantly made a believer out of me was on the fence before, I bought the little rimfire entrance wound is virtually impossible to find,no exit.Shot placement once again.I've only shot one yote with this rifle,less than two weeks old.Look dead center scuffed his fur a little and found the tiniest hole dead on.
17.jpg

You've been piling them up lately . Good job . Have yet to get them to come into bait during the daylight for some reason for me. Got several pics of them coming in at night

You've been piling them up lately . Good job . Have yet to get them to come into bait during the daylight for some reason for me. Got several pics of them coming in at night
Coyotes from now till fall will move 24/7 hungry mouths to feed and travel great distances. May 1st will be all the baiting i'll do till late fall,now it's strictly calling.I pile minimally 60 to 100 a year,not meaning to denigrate the ones who only take a handful,I'm fortunate to be in a good spot and yotes are my passion.THX. I'm anxious to see if the 17 wsm will keep producing,this is the first thing I got with it.I've been pondering it for months now.

Which Bmag did you go with? Sporter or Heavy Barrel, synthetic or laminate stock, stainless vs blued, etc. I'm definitely interested as I do a lot of hunting in a rimfire only area. How is the accuracy?

Yeah I've got a buddy that kills generally 25-30 a year. He basically only hunts spring through the middle of October. I don't believe he baits them in he just uses calls. I know a couple years ago he called in and killed at one spot 4 in one setting a female and 3 young. All with a shotgun. Killed the female first then a pup stepped up next to her and the other 2 did the same thing. He says now till October is the best time to thin them down

Which Bmag did you go with? Sporter or Heavy Barrel, synthetic or laminate stock, stainless vs blued, etc. I'm definitely interested as I do a lot of hunting in a rimfire only area. How is the accuracy?
The sporter with black synthetic stock ,accuracy is decent for a $300 rifle,trigger is nice,have a 4X16 weaver grand slam on it,I won't miss much,i'm happy I got it.I may practice tomorrow weather permitting and post some groups,I haven't put 20 rounds through it,just enough to get it sighted in. I run it through Hornadys ballistic calculator ,sighted in at 50 yards,puts it 0.3 high @100 yds,0.7 high @150,and -3.5 at 200 yds.It obviously worked as the shot @ 110 was dead on.

How loud is the report of that WSM? I now need something with a bit more range/energy than a .17 HMR or .22 Mag., but "quieter" than my .22 Hornet (for groundhogs but maybe the occasional 'yote.)
Always heard these weren't very accurate, but just read a test of the newer Savage Varmint model (Boyd's laminated stock) and it was getting very decent groups (@ 50 yards.)

Last edited:
How loud is the report of that WSM? I now need something with a bit more range/energy than a .17 HMR or .22 Mag., but "quieter" than my .22 Hornet (for groundhogs but maybe the occasional 'yote.)
Always heard these weren't very accurate, but just read a test of the newer Savage Varmint model (Boyd's laminated stock) and it was getting very decent groups (@ 50 yards.)
About the same report as a 22 hornet,which is as quiet as it gets ,accuracy is decent enough for the intended purposes,as I get used to the rifle things can be done to improve its accuracy.But still not bad overall,it's not a target rifle,but a varmint rifle. One should be able to get 1 to 1 and a quarter moa at 100 yds with time and practice.

Oh, the 17 WSM is a very potent cartridge! I've killed a lot of groundhogs in Va. with it, and umteen prairie dogs. As for quiet, I shoot suppressed. The sonic boom is still there, but the "target", if you miss, won't know where it came from and will stick around. Accurate? Yes, but you will have to experiment with the 20 and 25 gr. bullets. Mine loves the 20 gr, and most shooters say the same. I have the Ruger, but want a Volquartsen semi! Savage makes a great rifle. You won't be disappointed in whichever one you buy. The WSM is to the HMR what a 22Mag. is to the 22 rimfire. Only more!

Oh, the 17 WSM is a very potent cartridge! I've killed a lot of groundhogs in Va. with it, and umteen prairie dogs. As for quiet, I shoot suppressed. The sonic boom is still there, but the "target", if you miss, won't know where it came from and will stick around. Accurate? Yes, but you will have to experiment with the 20 and 25 gr. bullets. Mine loves the 20 gr, and most shooters say the same. I have the Ruger, but want a Volquartsen semi! Savage makes a great rifle. You won't be disappointed in whichever one you buy. The WSM is to the HMR what a 22Mag. is to the 22 rimfire. Only more!

My issue with the 17 WSM I had was the factory ammo. Pretty much none of it worked in my Savage. I ended up selling it. The speed is nice, but I wasn't getting good accuracy at all. I bought that 17 HMR Semi that Savage made last year with the thumbhole stock. That thing shoots great compared to my WSM. I use those CCI 17 grainers specifically designed for the A17 and they shoot fast and accurate. Not saying the WSM is a bad cartridge, but my preference for accuracy has to go with the HMR from my experience. I never saw an HMR not shoot TBH.

That's surprising , that a Savage didn't shoot accurate. I have found some of the ammo to be lacking, but mostly because of grain wt. I think all of it is made either by CCI or Winchester. They all use Win. brass, Hornady bullets and are packaged in the same package. Everyone I know who has a Savage loves it.

Savage B-mag 20 grain at 3000 fps hit this male chest dead center at 110 yard bait station,dropped instantly made a believer out of me was on the fence before, I bought the little rimfire entrance wound is virtually impossible to find,no exit.Shot placement once again.I've only shot one yote with this rifle,less than two weeks old.Look dead center scuffed his fur a little and found the tiniest hole dead on.View attachment 186450

What part of Ohio do you coyote hunt ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.