I guess it's a Grendel!

ducky

So I've been wanting to build a new rifle for awhile, and I thought it would be a 6 Creed. I'm online yesterday just crusing the web and run across this: 26" Bartline Savage pre-fit varmint contour with PT&G bolt head along with Savage Accustock with metal DBM. I have an unmolested .243 Win Stevens 200 in the safe so why not?

I've been trying to wean myself off Savage builds, but it's hard when they're basically an adult erector set. I still have a box full of parts like PT&G Acculug, SSS Comp trigger, and Stockade bolt handle + lift kit. However, this should clean me out, so I can finally move on from Savage.

What factory ammo should I test in my first Grendel? If it shoots well, I want to shorten the barrel. I'm kind of like flip a coin on 16.5" or 18", what is y'alls opinion on that? Anyone have a Savage Varmint cut to those lengths and can tell me what the barrel weighs? It'll be threaded 5/8X24 so it can be suppressed when I get my Omaga 300 out of jail as well.

I'm looking forward to trying this out on some white tsi deer from a blind and maybe a pronghorn doe this fall.

The Hornady 123 ELDM is what is shoot pretty good for most folks. The Hornady 123 SST is a different story. I have two ARs in 6.5 Grendel one with 20" BCA and the other 18" Oden Works barrels. Neither of them likes the 123 SST bullet weather it comes in factory ammo or numerous different hand loads. Factory shot around 2 to 2 1/2" and with best hand load 1 1/2". Both will shoot sub MOA with other bullets. With a bolt rifle you can load a bit hotter than for the ARs and be OK. I believe for ARs that an 18" barrel is about perfect for my usage. Mainly deer hunting and informal paper punching and plinking. I can get average 2500 to 2550 fps with 120 gr bullets and sub MOA accuracy with the 18". From what I gather from others that are running 16" ARs they are loosing about 55 fps off my 18" with same loads. With your bolt rifle you can probably get what I am getting out of 16" by loading hotter. There is a load of information over on the 6.5grendel.com site.

Thanks, I'll give the Hornady Black a go. I don't currently have alot of time to handload, and would rather spend time pulling the trigger. I'll be shooting factory for awhile

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts