I guess I'm officially back... .

WildRose

Well as some of you know the last 2-3 years have been tough on me physically with a total of 9 surgeries in 3 years, 7 in the last 30 months.

I was flat getting sick to death of hurting and sitting around the house when I wanted to be working, shooting, or hunting not to mention fed up with seeing most of what little money I was making all going for deductibles and co pays.

The last week of the season last year I was at least able to get out and feed the freezer but of course there were three more surgeries following that.

In October I finally got the first green light to go back to work and so three days later I joined Mario for an Elk Hunt in NM and just had a ball.

I got pretty excited about getting serious about deer hunting this year and have been doing my normal studying my favorite spots, getting to know the patterns etc and getting to know a few of the bucks.

Tonight I decided I'd get all the chores done early and get to my shooting position by 3:30-4:00 but of course I got hung up with customers and didn't even get out there to do chores until just after 5:00pm.

I'd already had to stop and glass 3 really nice bucks that were out in my neighbors fields which of course was part of the delay and then when I get to my gate I notice quite a few deer well over in the CRP; far enough away that I wasn't disturbing them any.

Well I see one of them that just stands out and put the glasses on him and he's the heaviest rack I've seen on a live deer. I was only using a 15x scope and looking pretty much straight into the setting sun so I couldn't really tell a whole lot more about him other than seeing that his total mass was just amazing!

I sit and watch them for about five minutes as he starts to walk off and decide I'll just drive on in and then put on a short stalk and see what happens.

Well I get a great show with a dozen does coming through and three little bucks, then two nice mature bucks but nothing worth getting too excited about. As I was driving in the heavy buck appeared to be off chasing a doe and I'd hoped he'd pop his head back up in range but apparently she took him for quite a run.

Well about the time I'm thinking of giving up and just carrying on with chores I see a buck that I think might be worth a second look so I put the scope on him. Of course by this time all I can see are his tines occasionally popping up just above the grass (lots of blue stem) but I never could get a good look at him.

As the sun is setting I lose him completely and go back to watching the does feed and a couple of more mature bucks come through with the does they are bedding but they were not shooters.

So far this is the perfect deer hunt. I get to watch a bunch of deer and scope a couple of really nice deer but I don't see anyone worth pulling the trigger.

Just as I'm packing up Mr. Tall Tines shows up again where I can actually get a good look at him and I start seriously considering pulling the trigger.

Not a real wide rack and I get a good profile look which shows me his main beams don't extend past his nose but man, his G2's look like they are at least 10" or more and he has long brow tines as well.

So I break out the range finder and just as I thought he was well past 500yds which wouldn't normally deter me but I wasn't shooting from a blind or stand with good support. All I had was a mesquite to lean against and I was having trouble really getting steady enough to be comfortable with a shot that long.

So the sun is fading and I'm trying to make up my mind and I range him a few more times and come up with 547yds. For me, just leaning against a tree that's a fair poke and Even though I had my long bipod there was just no way to shoot off of it or to even use it under the rear end bracing off of the tree because it put me so low I couldn't see anything but grass.

Finally I get fairly comfortable and flip off the safety thinking "If I can get steady for three full seconds I'll let one fly".

Well it happened and I see it's a solid hit which is confirmed by a really loud "Thawak" about a half second after I see him fold.

That has me feeling pretty darn good!

I put the scope on where I saw him last and don't see anything but dust and wire flopping like maybe he'd gone through the fence so I decide to just give it fiver or ten minutes and then drive over to see what I'd done.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me but had to snap a couple with the phone and text them to Mario. He text's back with one that looks almost like a twin to mine!

I'm then laughing thinking "Well we both had pretty good nights" as I'm driving over to finish up the chores for the night and thinking how lucky I am.

Six months ago I had a really bad break of my left Humerus right below the head and had it all put back together with a foot of steel and a box full of screws and yet here I am today able to load a buck by myself that weighs somewhere over 225lbs easily!

No, he's not the best buck of my life, and hopefully not the best one I'll shoot this year but he certainly means as much to me as any I've ever managed to be lucky enough to take.

I'm not smart enough to load pictures from my phone but maybe Mario can from his.

Glad to hear you got enough gumption to get out the bang sticks... And then to drag back some meat! Congrats on the buck and nice to hear you are feeling better. Hope there are lots of days in the near future for you to get some trigger time in!

Take care buddy.

-James

Quite a while back Wildrose I noticed your a bit of a night owl (like me). Pain keep you up?
I haven't slept on a normal schedule since I was about 16 when I had a full time job, part time job, played football, and chased girls in my spare time HA!

The way I've led my life pain is just one more thing to deal with. What's kept me up most of the last three years I think was more aggravation than pain. I will say though, the ankle reconstruction was the most painful thing I've ever gone through. Basically they had to repair or replace every tendon and ligament in my ankle then cut strips out of my calf and achilles tendon and drilled holes through my leg bones down to my foot bones to make two new ones!

It was hell but man was it worth it!!! Ten months after that surgery I was running around the mountains in NM at 9,500ft with Mario without the slightest bit of instability in the ankle and that was AMAZING!

I don't complain though, I earned all of those injuries doing things that mattered and/or loved and given a chance to relive my life I'd do it all over again.

Here's hoping for less aggravation in your future then.
You know I find the aggravation level drops dramatically when I'm able to get out and work dogs, do a little shooting every day and play with puppies.

Life is good when you aren't stuck in the house with nothing to do but type on this thing and keep your leg up!

Brother, I have no idea how I missed that you were down, I'm sorry for that. On the flip side it seems you're back to normal, i'm very glad to hear that.

What rifle/boolit did you harvest your deer with? & for god sake get those pictures up!

t

Wow Wildrose that many surgeries would be tough on anyone. It's nice to hear you're doing better and enjoying the outdoors and hunting again.

Look forward to seeing those pics and many more in the future.

Glad your feeling good! How did the break happen? Maybe there is a lesson in it. Dogs? What breed? Do you train and sell?
I'd had a biceps muscle reattached 3 weeks prior and then I got it torqued the wrong way. It was a pretty nasty green stick fracture but I have a good surgeon and it's healing really well. It must be or I'd have never horsed him into the back of the truck on my own.

I raise and train German Shorthaired Pointers. We've been had the breed since 1969. Folks seem to like them pretty well as we now have them on five continents. If you live in the US odds are there's at least one WildRose German Shorthair living within 250 of you.

Brother, I have no idea how I missed that you were down, I'm sorry for that. On the flip side it seems you're back to normal, i'm very glad to hear that.

What rifle/boolit did you harvest your deer with? & for god sake get those pictures up!

t
Winchester Extreme Weather 300wm. Shooting factory Hornady 180gr.

I wasn't real happy with the rifle when I first got it, too light. I don't mind recoil but the muzzle flip made it really uncontrollable.

I dug out every bit of material I could in the forearm and backfilled it with about 8oz of tungsten powder mixed with Devcon steel and then stuck one of the North West Precision Muzzle brakes on it and it's really a pleasure to shoot now.

Bullet placement was a little low and right of my intended POI but it puched both shoulders and destroyed the top of the heart leaving only about a 2" hole where it exited the rib cage so I was very happy with it.

The only problem I've had with Hornady's in the past is with the 165gr SST fired from the same rifle. It was only a 300-350yds shot and the SST just turned into a flying bomb even just going through the rib cage. It's a good bullet though for long range and behaves well once it slows down a bit.

Wow Wildrose that many surgeries would be tough on anyone. It's nice to hear you're doing better and enjoying the outdoors and hunting again.

Look forward to seeing those pics and many more in the future.
Thanks. The surgeries were a pain but compared to the issues which led to them they were nothing.

My ankle hasn't been this good since probably 1978 so man is it worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.