I guess dirt is valuable

I posted some 7mm WSM brass on gunbroker a while back. I started the bidding around $35.00 for a bag of new Winchester brass. It ended up selling for around $160.00. I didn't feel I did anything wrong to the people who bid. I looked at they did it to themselves. Me personally would not have paid more than $75.00 for it.

It's strange how things go sometimes. I put 2 Nightforce ATACR scopes on GB for what I thought was the going price, and didn't even get a bid on either one. But at the same time, I saw Varget powder being bid past $100/#. I guess thats the nature of supply and demand in a free market. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to give for it, regardless of what value you place on it.

Personally i won't even participate in thinks like gunbroker, in my opinion its just adding to the problem.
That's a great example of the freedom to make personal choices and "vote with your feet" as they say, and I support that 100%!
But the free market capitalist angel on my other shoulder is telling me that in a way, it's a solution to the problem. IOW, in times of scarcity, public sites like GB ensure a scare item goes to the place where it is in the very greatest demand (and theoretically, will then do the most good). I said "theoretically" because what it really is seeming to do is flush out those "with more money than sense" as a previous poster wrote, and leaves those with limited money unable to access what they want/need.
The problem of course is where to draw the line in "fixing" this problem, and I won't pretend to know the answer. If the government takes any steps at all to preclude retail sellers simply asking for whatever price a thing will bring, or disallowing bidders at auction to bid as they please, we now have government control of pricing, and that's a very slippery slope that rarely leads to the betterment of mankind.

Just my random thoughts. I'm with L.Sherm that I'll just sit this one out until things return to sanity. Luckily I had sufficient stocks of all the firearms things I need before this whole thing started. But I feel for those who didn't. I just gave a couple boxes of .38 Special ammo to my good friend who bought his wife a personal defense revolver for her birthday. He looked all over and couldn't find any ammo in stock in the stores. Situations like that can be life and death problems to those in need.

Happy New Year,
Rex

My grandfather had the philosophy, It's not how much it cost... How badly do you want it?
Should be how our system works^
Limited resources go to folks that have worked hard enough to get the resources. If you need healthcare you gotta earn it, it's not a right as far as I'm concerned. Neither is it a right to have food, theft to feed your family is still theft IMHO.

At one point I was a gunbroker regular customer. Some people on the site are still OK. The problem is some people seem to have more $ than common sense. They get in there and bud stuff up to waaaaay more than the average person can afford. I was in a store not long ago and saw the Winchester 555 boxes of bulk ammo for 27 bucks. They had 10 boxes left. I took 1 and left the rest hoping someone that needed them would buy them . Could have bought all and sold for a tidy profit. I'm not that guy.
Is this a great board or what? This is why I'm here. Most folks are very knowledgeable. Most folks here are nice, respectable, friendly & helpful. Many have a great sense of humor. Like everywhere else there is only a teeny, tiny, insignificant minority that occasionally wear their IQ on their sleeve. To all you other 98.98 percenters - my boonie hat is off to you all!
If we come under this new regime we ALL must hang tough together, (& I'm sure that we will), or we will surely fall separately. Take care, HAPPY NEW YEAR & may God bless you all.

This showed the kind of forum this is. I have seen these discussions get out of hand quick in other places. Here, just good conversation. I guess that's why I still hang out even if I'm not much of a long range hunter.
Long Range Hunting is very hard. I suggest you try Free Range Hunting the chickens never see it coming :)

Gunbroker makes me laugh right now. You can buy a remington 700 sendero from sportsman's warehouse right now for $999 on sale, take it home, shoot it a few times and the idiots on gunbroker with pay $2,500 for it.

That's a great example of the freedom to make personal choices and "vote with your feet" as they say, and I support that 100%!
But the free market capitalist angel on my other shoulder is telling me that in a way, it's a solution to the problem. IOW, in times of scarcity, public sites like GB ensure a scare item goes to the place where it is in the very greatest demand (and theoretically, will then do the most good). I said "theoretically" because what it really is seeming to do is flush out those "with more money than sense" as a previous poster wrote, and leaves those with limited money unable to access what they want/need.
The problem of course is where to draw the line in "fixing" this problem, and I won't pretend to know the answer. If the government takes any steps at all to preclude retail sellers simply asking for whatever price a thing will bring, or disallowing bidders at auction to bid as they please, we now have government control of pricing, and that's a very slippery slope that rarely leads to the betterment of mankind.

Just my random thoughts. I'm with L.Sherm that I'll just sit this one out until things return to sanity. Luckily I had sufficient stocks of all the firearms things I need before this whole thing started. But I feel for those who didn't. I just gave a couple boxes of .38 Special ammo to my good friend who bought his wife a personal defense revolver for her birthday. He looked all over and couldn't find any ammo in stock in the stores. Situations like that can be life and death problems to those in need.

Happy New Year,
Rex
The government will jack it up every time. Usually they create regulations to for "consumer protection" that in reality cause the price for entry into the market to a level where competition isn't plausible.

An example, I raise some meat but if I want to butcher for sale I have to invest thousands in infrastructure the I have to hire a USDA observer to watch me cut up an animal (he earns .gov wage and as far as I know you can't hire him when you need him it's gotta be a full time gif). The average local guy can't do that so pay the trucker to take them someplace to be told what they're gonna pay for them. Thanks .gov for protecting us from the horrors of cheap local beef.

Last edited:
Last summer somebody (can remember which company) had a case (5000) of .22 LR on sale for $140.00. As you can not reload them and my grandson, his friend and my neighbor boy just love it when I take them to the range to shoot, I bought a case. Now I am glad I did. And NO I do not have any for sale!

Last edited:
What comes around goes around.
But more often than not....." Not soon enough for us to appreciate!" I'm more like the Buzzard sitting with his buddy in the tree waiting for something to die in the dessert ..saying " Patience my Arse....I'm going to go out and kill something"

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.