I guess dirt is valuable

At one point I was a gunbroker regular customer. Some people on the site are still OK. The problem is some people seem to have more $ than common sense. They get in there and bud stuff up to waaaaay more than the average person can afford. I was in a store not long ago and saw the Winchester 555 boxes of bulk ammo for 27 bucks. They had 10 boxes left. I took 1 and left the rest hoping someone that needed them would buy them . Could have bought all and sold for a tidy profit. I'm not that guy.
Auctions of all types are not intended to price items so that all folks can afford the items. Their intent is to find the guy with the most desire ....and money to back up his itch.

Lat summer somebody (can remember which company) had a case (5000) of .22 LR on sale for $140.00. As you can not reload them and my grandson, his friend and my neighbor boy just love it when I take them to the range to shoot, I bought a case. Now I am glad I did. And NO I do not have any for sale!
Wasn't that you offering the FS: once fired .22LR brass????? :) :) :)

That's a great example of the freedom to make personal choices and "vote with your feet" as they say, and I support that 100%!
But the free market capitalist angel on my other shoulder is telling me that in a way, it's a solution to the problem. IOW, in times of scarcity, public sites like GB ensure a scare item goes to the place where it is in the very greatest demand (and theoretically, will then do the most good). I said "theoretically" because what it really is seeming to do is flush out those "with more money than sense" as a previous poster wrote, and leaves those with limited money unable to access what they want/need.
The problem of course is where to draw the line in "fixing" this problem, and I won't pretend to know the answer. If the government takes any steps at all to preclude retail sellers simply asking for whatever price a thing will bring, or disallowing bidders at auction to bid as they please, we now have government control of pricing, and that's a very slippery slope that rarely leads to the betterment of mankind.

Just my random thoughts. I'm with L.Sherm that I'll just sit this one out until things return to sanity. Luckily I had sufficient stocks of all the firearms things I need before this whole thing started. But I feel for those who didn't. I just gave a couple boxes of .38 Special ammo to my good friend who bought his wife a personal defense revolver for her birthday. He looked all over and couldn't find any ammo in stock in the stores. Situations like that can be life and death problems to those in need.

Happy New Year,
Rex
Rex, under the Harris/Biden administration, it may be a while before things return to sanity.

Rex, under the Harris/Biden administration, it may be a while before things return to sanity.
With Covid expenses, loss of income,loss of jobs, care facility closures, kids out of school for VIDEO learning....i believe we are looking at 5-10 years in North America before anything will stabilize in our economies! But...that's just me!

Auctions of all types are not intended to price items so that all folks can afford the items. Their intent is to find the guy with the most desire ....and money to back up his itch.
I LOVE AUCTIONS! Partly to buy and partly to watch the stupid people pay more for something used than they can buy all day long cheaper for it new! And in some cases....with warranty!...lol

With Covid expenses, loss of income,loss of jobs, care facility closures, kids out of school for VIDEO learning....i believe we are looking at 5-10 years in North America before anything will stabilize in our economies! But...that's just me!
That's just you? Have you ever thought back on how many things you have been right about?

It is why I don't use Cheaper than Dirt any time, because of price gouging. I have it from a reliable source that the ammo manufacturing companies are not charging inflated prices for their ammo. I understand supply and demand but there is a line for when it becomes price gouging. CTD has crossed the line.

One has to be intelligent enough to know what is reasonable and what is not and that intelligence comes from experience. You cannot get on any site and get into a bidding war just because you want to "win". That's how so many people offering these products make "bank". I've bid on several items over the years, won some, lost some. When I won I felt I got a reasonable deal. When I lost I felt that I still won because I didn't overpay. I've also found that, in time, what I want will eventually reappear for a reasonable price.

Capitalism is the economic system of choice based on the precepts of our Limited Republic. As constructed by our forefathers it was noted that OUR system would only survive with "moral" God-fearing citizens. So why is it faltering?

Here's to Capitalism! "To Buy or Not to Buy...that is the question"! Canada everyday price!
Screenshot_20210101-194635.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.