I got my first bear last week in Washington

Congrats. How does it taste? It's always hit & miss with flavor.
Mesa makes a fine rifle.
He is surprisingly lean and the flavor is mild. I was hoping he would have a bunch of fat on him and taste faintly of blueberries, but he is a bit chewy and tastes kinda like a beef round steak or flank steak. I tried a backstrap on my buddies treggor that turned out a bit chewy, and when I got home I tried pan searing him and letting him go on low temp in butter with red wine and he turned much better. I'll probably cook him like Ive cooked most of my prior game meat - slow and low with some form of fat added like butter or tallow. He really picks up whatever flavors I toss in the pan. Maybe an herb rub in a dutch oven will go over well... Im happy.

I did a backpacking bear hunt last week in Washington and shot this bear at 340 yards. This is my first bear. He is a smaller bear, maybe 180lbs. I shot him in the last few minutes of legal light and found him about 20 yards from where I shot him. Unfortunately I don't have any in-the-field pictures since it was dark by the time I got to him and my buddy and I were in a thunder storm. We hiked out the next day and I butchered the meat and cleaned his hair before freezing him. Im going to do a rug mount. Im very excited and grateful. I quite enjoyed this trip too, I will definitely be hunting bear again.

View attachment 289964
Congratulations! My Montana sow black bear squared 5'6". And weighed approximately 200 pounds. She was 22 years old!!! Berger 180 at 460 yds. Caught the wind a bit and put it thru the liver. We found her about 100 yards away down hill.

I did a backpacking bear hunt last week in Washington and shot this bear at 340 yards. This is my first bear. He is a smaller bear, maybe 180lbs. I shot him in the last few minutes of legal light and found him about 20 yards from where I shot him. Unfortunately I don't have any in-the-field pictures since it was dark by the time I got to him and my buddy and I were in a thunder storm. We hiked out the next day and I butchered the meat and cleaned his hair before freezing him. Im going to do a rug mount. Im very excited and grateful. I quite enjoyed this trip too, I will definitely be hunting bear again.

View attachment 289964
congrats.

I didnt mean little to imply his age. He is just little. A lot of folks post about their 300lb+ trophies, and even though my bear isnt that I'm just as proud.
Congrats on the bear. I am fairly certain that if you could go back in time and actually weigh these "300lb+ trophies" right after they hit the ground, a fairly large number of them would be no more than 180 pounds.