I got my first 6.5 CM for $20

I was able to squeeze in some range time this AM. The goal was just be on paper while breaking in the barrel. I mounted a Minox Z3 4-14 and Burris Sig rings I have laying around. Using factory ammo ...

P26mJmR.jpg

Shots 1-10 fired @ 25 yards to get on paper and get used to the new rest and trigger @ 5.2 LBS (will have to replace the trigger spring to lighten it up to at least half). Brushed/clean barrel after 10 shots.

Set out to 100 yards ...

tdGHujn.jpg

H1ZBhy8.jpg

Cvhndps.jpg
I had the range to myself at 0600.

QG1KiSK.jpg

Shots 11-20 fired @ yards. Interesting that shots moves towards center for each shots fired after barrel cleaning. Barrel brushed/cleaned after 10 shots.

bvTIiem.jpg

Shots 21-30 fired @ yards. Interestingly again, the shots pattern moves inwards for each shots fired after barrel cleaning.

This is the only ammo I tried and groups seems to be getting tighter. I think it shows potential. When I get the trigger down to around 2-2.5 LBS, will have to get out to the range and continue barrel break-in and perhaps do suppressor POI test in the process.

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
Nice! What rest is that? Does it allow the rifle to free recoil? How do you like it? It looks interesting. I am used to using the vertical adjustment of the front rest and then fine tuning the aim on the rear bag with hand pressure. Interested in your thoughts.

Oh yea, what a great looking $20 rifle!!!

Steve

Nice! What rest is that? Does it allow the rifle to free recoil? How do you like it? It looks interesting. I am used to using the vertical adjustment of the front rest and then fine tuning the aim on the rear bag with hand pressure. Interested in your thoughts.

Oh yea, what a great looking $20 rifle!!!

Steve

Steve,

Thanks! It's a Stinger shooting rest by Caldwell, I got it on sale at my local Scheel's and so far I like it ... in my opinion, it does not allow you enough rifle free recoil that you are probably looking for or used to. I just need an extra rest that I can just leave it in my truck and this one fits the bill.

Cheers!

Ed

Congrats on winning a very good "entry level" rifle. If'n ya ain't got a 6.5 CM rifle be prepared to love this cartridge.

I have a Ruger RPR competition rifle and a Ruger RAP hunting rifle in 6.5 CM and both are 1/2 MOA shooters with the right loads. Hornady seems to have the best match ammo and their 143 gr. Precision Hunter ammo is loaded to match standards.

Eric B.

I just picked up my first 6.5 Creedmoor a couple weeks ago for the same price! $20 raffle ticket at a Ducks Unlimited banquet. :). Mine is a Ruger American Predator.

Those deer xp's shot about 3/4moa consistently in my savage. Didn't shoot them past 320ish. Enjoy the new toy and a great story on the acquisition

L:DL! This is my first win ever.
Feenix, nice score, for a whole $20.00. And it looks as though it wants to shoot. I like the rest, and like you, it seems like a great one to keep in your truck.
Caldwell makes a decent product. Nice rig, Great price. I'm not lucky at that. Better off to pay retail !
Enjoy!

Not just 6.5CMs.... I won a Browning X-bolt white gold medallion in 300wm on a $20 ticket last year. A Winchester M70 Featherweight in 270 and a Browning Citori 425 12ga on same raffle. 3 wins in about 17 years, I think I'm ahead a bit. :)

But congrats, enjoy. I'm looking at a 6mm CM now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.