I Got ADDICTED

G

GNERGY

Last year I sent Joel Russo a piece of Ironwood to make a custom stock for my 338 Ultra mag build. I had him make it to the design that most of you guys are using. The tactical straight grip, wide foreend, high comb design. Well after I bedded and finished it, I took it to the range. The fit was perfect and my eye lined up right in the middle of the scope, and the straight grip feels so much more comfortable to shoot. I got addicted.
Joel Russo Ironwood stock.
DSCN1875.jpg

When I went to take it on my mule deer hunt I put it back in the HS precision stock that came on it ( just in case I fell down a mountain someplace and dented it all up, I would never forgive my self ) Ths HS stock is Devcon bedded and Decellerator pad installed. It just didn't feel as good. It shot the same, BUT, I was spoiled.
So after looking at the price of the HS tactical stock, I saw the Bobby Hart LRT stock at Stockys Stocks. After a conversation with them, I had one on it's way.
The stock was sanded and finished with no flaws that I could find. It has the decelerator pad already installed. I widened the barrel channel and Devcon bedded it, and had to take out a little wood to be able to fit the Canjar trigger.
Looks really good and now that is my hunting stock. It is the granite grey color.
100_0088.jpg

I would recommend this stock to anybody that doesn't want to spend the $$$ for the HS Tactical.
*SPECIAL SALE* Bobby Hart Long Range Target / Tactical (LRT) Remington 700 BDL / Savage 10/12 (4.40) Laminated Heavy Barrel Riflestocks (Right & Left Hand Models)
All I have to do now is sell the HS stock.
What do you think. Thanks for looking.
Tarey

The Russo is sweet! I have a Russo stock and have not seen anything that remotely competes from Stocky's myself. The quality of the design, workmanship, the customer service, second to none with Joel and his stocks. The ability to specify the type of woods to have your stock built from is priceless to me. For the minor amount of money difference, I will own more Russo stocks!

Gnergy- awesome rifle!! where did you hunt deer? how do you get ironwood blanks? is that the natural color of iron wood?? i would love a mesquite stock. roninflag

Gnergy- awesome rifle!! where did you hunt deer? how do you get ironwood blanks? is that the natural color of iron wood?? i would love a mesquite stock. roninflag

Ron,
that's one of the great things about Joel, if you want a specific wood he can get it for you. I'm suprised at the original poster went a different route for his next stock. After having a Russo stock and his attention to detail in not craftsmanship and customer services, why would you go another route? You said you had to remove material, I've never had to do that with a Russo stock.

I guess im biased, but when I guy in this business treats you right, I reward them with more business.

Besides, I guess I like supporting the original, Joel brought us a great product at affair price, some one took the idea and started mass producing them and undercut him..it's the american way. Walmart has conditioned us to accept lower quality for a minimal price saving.

Agree. My Russo stock fits my action like the proverbial glove in all aspects. I have never seen an after market stock fit this nicely at every point from tip to tail.
The customer service aspect is what really makes this an easy choice for me. If there is "ever" a problem with the materials, I know Joel will always be there. I prefer to support a craftsperson rather than support a corporate machine.

I'm suprised at the original poster went a different route for his next stock. After having a Russo stock and his attention to detail in not craftsmanship and customer services, why would you go another route? You said you had to remove material, I've never had to do that with a Russo stock.

If you read it right, he wanted a lesser expensive alternative. He also stated it shot the same after he did the exact same work that was done to the Russo. He didn't want to pay for another expensive stock to ruin in the field.

Tank

If you read it right, he wanted a lesser expensive alternative. He also stated it shot the same after he did the exact same work that was done to the Russo. He didn't want to pay for another expensive stock to ruin in the field.

Tank
LILTank Correct.
I sent Joel the piece of Ironwood that I got from a friend ( who got from an old gentleman he did some work for, and that guy got it from an estate sale )
I just had to open up the barrel channel on the JR stock to fit the heavy palma contour of my broughton barrel, then Devcon bedded it and then I used auto clear to finish it.
I wanted a stock to use for hunting that I DIDN'T have to worry about dinging and denting up.
I was in no way saying anything negative about Joels stock, just preserving it for range duty.
Roninflag, I hunted south of Payson in unit 22. That is the natural color of Ironwood. I do have a Mesquite stock on a Contender in 223 that I made my self, it is a real heavy wood. Here it is.
Tarey
DSCN1709.jpg

GNERGY- they are all awesome stocks. i really like the mesquite. read somewhere that walnut and mequite were close in weight and ironwood was nearly twice as much. tonight i will do some more study. roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.