I found "the" deer spot

JARHEAD1371

While scouting in the Black Hills I found the best spot, so far, for some long (not super long) range deer hunting. I also saw at least a dozen deer just past the 800 yd arrow. I walked around the open area and saw tons of deer sign. November can't come quickly enough!
This is the front and left portion from the shooting position.
P4130009.jpg

Here is the right side and the boundary to the private land.

P4130010.jpg

I've kind of given up on Hill's Deer and Long Range. Unless you can get up west of RC and almost over the WY border its kind of hard to find a place to hunt that isn't crowded. Ended up going North and onto Private rather than Public land to hunt as it is a lot more open and the deer don't resemble Lassie. :) Those Hill's Deer are a bit small for anything large in caliber as their smaller than an Antelope. :)
If you have the time to do it and the means to do it there are a lot of places on the Grass Lands that you can shoot long distances and on some pretty decently sized Mule deer.
If you want a huge Whitetail then head over east and south down along the Missouri river and you can run across some pretty huge one in certain area's.
Either way its all fun and have a good time.

I've kind of given up on Hill's Deer and Long Range. Unless you can get up west of RC and almost over the WY border its kind of hard to find a place to hunt that isn't crowded. Ended up going North and onto Private rather than Public land to hunt as it is a lot more open and the deer don't resemble Lassie. :) Those Hill's Deer are a bit small for anything large in caliber as their smaller than an Antelope. :)
If you have the time to do it and the means to do it there are a lot of places on the Grass Lands that you can shoot long distances and on some pretty decently sized Mule deer.
If you want a huge Whitetail then head over east and south down along the Missouri river and you can run across some pretty huge one in certain area's.
Either way its all fun and have a good time.

I haven't hunted in the hills yet, didn't draw tags last year. I did notice that the deer seemed smaller than the IL deer I'm used to. We did get tags for an area north of Belle and filled them (pics). The only bad thing is it doesn't look like I will be able to get any time off for the season and it's a long drive up there. Have you ever hunted in the grasslands east of Rapid? I'm going to scout out there also since it's very close to the house.

looks like your doing your homework and a good spot. Question: in the 2nd pic what's with the fallen trees and mini craters...looks like someone was lobbing grenades and morters.

Out in the grass lands is the only place to hunt as far as I'm concerned. Or at least the only place your going to find decent sized deer and they taste better too. :)
One thing I found up in the hills is it seems that most of the deer are stunted in size. When there is that many deer in an area it really hurts the body size. And it seems there is one behind every tree in a lot of places you go up there.
You don't have to get far out of Rapid to find decent deer in size but its not easy to find a really decent rack on one. Not without a lot of scouting but if your like me time is the factor here.

Great looking spot, thanks for the pictures. Keep us posted, maybe some pictures of the same view in the summer and in the fall would be nice.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.