I found great shoes for a bad back!!!

JARHEAD1371

Last week I bought a pair of the Skechers Shape-up shoes for work. I have one herniated disc and two bulging discs in my lower back and I am in constant pain. I work where I'm on my feet walking on concrete for my 8-12 hour shifts. With these new shoes my back hurts less than half of what it normally does after a shift. They feel strange walking around, because the sole is so squishy, but you quickly get used to it. If you have similar back or knee problems try a pair out, they will surprise you.

Thanks for the heads up ! I will tell my Dad he has very bad back problems . I appreciate it.

BigBuck

I wanted those but couldn't afford $100. shoes for work. I did buy the Skechers work force Dexters and they are so comfortable I even wear them to the gym. I needed a slip resistent shoe.
2 thumbs up for Skechers.
My girlfriend did buy the shape ups and she loves them too.
Tarey

Jarhead, I have high arches resulting in too much pressure on the balls of my feet resulting in discomfort.

Do you think these shoes would help reduce the pressure on the balls of the foot? If so, can you imagine wearing them hiking in the hills for miles at a time?

I'm not sure if they would be good for high arches, but they would be worth a try. The squishy sole stuff is thickest near the heel, but it is also under the rest of the foot and I can feel it. It took me a couple hours of walking to get used to the different sole shape. I wear them at work and when the wife and I go on our walks, normally at least 1.5 miles. I haven't tried them on anything besides concrete and blacktop. I'm thinking the only down side for hiking is they don't have any ankle support like my hiking or hunting boots. Who knows, that might be a whole new market for them.

Jarhead, I have high arches resulting in too much pressure on the balls of my feet resulting in discomfort.

Do you think these shoes would help reduce the pressure on the balls of the foot? If so, can you imagine wearing them hiking in the hills for miles at a time?

Len

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the same problem. I have tried all of the aftermarket orthotics with minimal success. I finally saw a Podiatrist for another problem and he suggested a set of custom orthodics made for my feet. A couple of days later they made some castings and took some measurements, three weeks later I had a set of custom carbon fiber inserts and now I have reduced foot pain by 90+ percent.

Getting the orthotics has greatly changed my ability to be active over longer periods of time thereby allowing me to improve my overall fitness and ability to enjoy the outdoors.

BTW I am also looking forward to trying the new shoes if they're available in 4E widths.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem as Len with the ball of my feet hurting if I stood on them for hours. Don't laugh but, I bought some of those air cushioned sneakers and walla...pain gone. Now that's assuming you can wear sneakers at work...I can as long as their solid black. Thanks for the heads up on the Skechers, I may give them a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.