I feel compelled to comment on the Remington Arms legal action

Remington will adjust their own triggers down to 3.5 # if you request it.

They will even if you don't ask them too. I had to have my bolt handle brazed back on because of a bad cast and when it came back that 7lb trigger was a lot smoother.

OK, I had one round go off as said in my .223 VS. The trigger was set at 3.5lb., and it did it when the saftey was let off. I thought it was me at the time, but the guy I used to shoot with ( gunsmith by trade was sitting beside me and said how did you do that without your finger on the trigger?) He messed with the bolt trigger cycling and could not make it screw up again. So we kept on working up some hand loads five rounds at a time using the same five cases over and over. (I was cleaning the barrel every two or three rounds as well). Doug said to let him try the rifle as I hit on a couple loads that seemed to shoot fairly well. He had the samething happen. We both felt the trigger was OK, but the saftey wasn't right. That night Doug took the trigger group down for a complete inspection, and found nothing wrong. Two days later we go back to the range and never had a problem except for the trigger pull increasing in weight till it locked up in mid travel every now and then. He takes the gun home with him again and goes thru it. The trigger felt better, and was somewhere around three pounds by feel. Locks up again and again. We then replace it with a trigger group out of a 1978 rifle that seems to work much better. Later we adjust it down to near 2lb. and I'm happy, but do not trust the saftey anymore. Now on the bench I will usually lift my right hand off the gun to release the saftey and load a round. But standing or in the field I do as everyone of you all do. Doug felt the problem was in the saftey, and I also came to that conclusion as well. Neither of us were aware at the time that anyone had ever had a problem, and we simply blamed Remington for producing this lemon they called a "VS" (and it was a rotten one at that).
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.