I drew Arizona antelope unit 3A, now what?

Jeffpg

Hey fellas,

I hail from Mississippi but I get around out west quite a bit on big game hunts, etc. I have successfully DIY hunted goats on 3 different occasions over the past 8 years and have a decent idea of how to go about it, but I have zero information on the unit that I have drawn. I'm good to go with any camping & hunting gear and weaponry, etc. but I sort of need a good starting place with which to plan my hunt.

My tag is good for Oct 2 - Oct 11. Does anyone possibly have any information that can get me kickstarted?

I happen to have some excellent bowhunting for spring wild turkey and trophy Axis deer on 5000 acres in west Texas to offer if that is any encouragement to you to be of assistance.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:
Google maps pro, is your friend....contact BLM , state and federal land offices, local biologist, local f&g office.This is assuming you are trying to hunt public land.More details might encourage more info if that makes sense. Are you trying to find private land, as a swap hunt ?The local chamber of commerce may have landowners who welcome hunters, the more you dig the more you will find.

Last edited:
J, if I can catch him my neighbor's son and family live in Heber, but he stays at his parents four days a week since he works for a major airline. They spend a large amount of time in unit 3-A . I'll get some info from him when I catch up with him.
Nice muley, was that in Az also?

Jeff,
Did you get a mailing from the Arizona Antelope Foundation inviting you to their online seminar last Saturday? I drew 18B and got the invite, and "attended" the Zoom seminar, and was amazed at the willingness of the experts to share their knowledge, both general and unit-specific, with the participants. Were you on it?
If not, PM me and I will get you links to the presentations and the phone numbers of the experts that can help you with your hunt planning and execution.

Cheers,

Rex

[EDIT: P.S. that's a heck of a mulie!!]

Thanks Rex, I've been pretty busy but I don't remember seeing the invite. I appreciate the offer to share the link. I have some info at this point but can definitely use all the help I can get going forward.
Jeff

Thanks Rex, I've been pretty busy but I don't remember seeing the invite. I appreciate the offer to share the link. I have some info at this point but can definitely use all the help I can get going forward.
Jeff
PM sent with some contacts for experts who offered their advice. When I get the links to the presentations, I will try to share them too.
Rex

I live in Snowflake, a town on the southern border of 3A. It's good unit with some solid antelope. There is some private land but you can access much of the unit, lots of old nasty roads so A utility vehicle or four wheeler would be nice but not required. the tricky land is between snowflake and concho, there is checker boarded private land out there And some decent antelope but the best hunting is on land you can access. Send me a PM and I'll help you a bit and let's talk Axis Deer If you wanna take it farther.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.