I drew a Wyoming Mountain goat tag!! Any advice?

I am still in disbelief, but I checked the results today, and successful!!!

Area 4, the west side of the Grand Teton mountain range. I am a resident,, so the guide requirement in wilderness area is not a concern. I know this area is slightly different than the others, and I am going to spend the next 3 months scouting it out. I plan on contacting the local biologist and game warden for any tips, but has anyone here hunted the area or know someone that has? Or anyone that has hiked the mountains? I know grizzlies will be a concern, but I have never hunted goats, nor that area.

So, anybody have any insight?
I too drew area 4 mountain goat; so as awesome as it is to have a goat tag, realistically it will probably be a miracle to see one in this area! Last year they only had a 27% harvest success in that area and after the all the culling they did, it will be far lower % this year! I've hunted elk and deer in this area a few times in the past. The area is loaded with bears, both grizzly and black plus lots of wolves so that should add to the fun! Not sure where to start looking for goats but my family owns a ranch just outside of Victor ID, so I'll probably start looking in the areas around their place where I've hunted before!

Right! It really is incredible.

Got off the phone with the Biologist and got a couple starting points, sounds like it will be mid June to July before I can get through the snows that is when I will start my scouting, until then I will rely on Google earth!
Congratulations. Hopefully we will all get a chance in the hunt draw play offs.

From your comments it looks like you are on the right track.

Hard work and thoroughness always pay off.

Don't forget the photos of your scouting, and the final payoff, with naturally the best recipe of your catch.

I too drew area 4 mountain goat; so as awesome as it is to have a goat tag, realistically it will probably be a miracle to see one in this area! Last year they only had a 27% harvest success in that area and after the all the culling they did, it will be far lower % this year! I've hunted elk and deer in this area a few times in the past. The area is loaded with bears, both grizzly and black plus lots of wolves so that should add to the fun! Not sure where to start looking for goats but my family owns a ranch just outside of Victor ID, so I'll probably start looking in the areas around their place where I've hunted before!
Yup, from a report I read, as of a month or so ago, they counted 29 goats in the mountain range. They issued 42 tags this year.....

That does seem Wack.Where i try there are few goats,but only 1 permit and I know area.Good luck

Why are they trying to eradicate mountain goats from the Tetons?
To reduce the competition with the bighorn sheep. Apparently they believe that the sheep are more desirable than the goats are. I wonder if they have ever done a survey with hunters to see what they think are more desirable. As a trophy hunter you'd probably want to get one of each. If I could have only one it would probably be the sheep tho I doubt that I'd ever had a chance for either one.

Showing off his junk. Taken on the way out of YNP on the way to Cody.

RhUFr1Q.jpg

They also say that they transmit different types of pneumonia to the sheep. They also say that they aren't native to the tetons, but they are native to the palisades, which essentially connects to the tetons.....

And I would agree, if I had to choose between a bighorn or a mountain goat hunt, I would without hesitation choose mountain goat.