I drew a Wyoming Mountain goat tag!! Any advice?

I am still in disbelief, but I checked the results today, and successful!!!

Area 4, the west side of the Grand Teton mountain range. I am a resident,, so the guide requirement in wilderness area is not a concern. I know this area is slightly different than the others, and I am going to spend the next 3 months scouting it out. I plan on contacting the local biologist and game warden for any tips, but has anyone here hunted the area or know someone that has? Or anyone that has hiked the mountains? I know grizzlies will be a concern, but I have never hunted goats, nor that area.

So, anybody have any insight?
Really cool that you drew a tag, great critters to hunt and incredible country to hike in!

I've been on 3 goat hunts in Montana, all 3 we did in November, not sure I'd reccomend that as they were a bit too sporting...

That said, I think that the hair quality is important, to me a short haired goat is not a trophy I'd want on the wall. I'd check into what time of fall their hides will be haired up and try to make a go around that.

On the hunts I've been on I've not found them tough to find, what has proven to be tough though is finding one in a place where we could safely get it to, kill it with one shot, and kill it in a place where they don't pitch off into the abyss and where they can be recovered!

I've spoken to a lot of successful goat hunters over the last 43 years and far and away the shooters that took the goats down quickest were using 22/250's and Swift and .243. Brute power isn't always the answer:)

Just a thunk

Have a super hunt and keep us in the loop, what a great experience you're in for!

My .338 Norma is the lightest rifle I own at 9.5 lbs, so that is what I will use. As far as meat loss, the thought of bigger bullet = more meat damage simply isn't the case. My .260 AI with a 156 Berger does more damage and meat loss on pronghorn than my .338 Norma with a mono badlands bullet for sure.

This area is not like other goat areas, the population density is very thin, in past years there have been people that put in a ton of time hunting, and didn't even see one. The tag is for any goat, so if I see one, it's getting shot ha ha

Congratulations on drawing a tag. I look forward to seeing Watch the video and pictures. I also look forward to hearing a great story of you're successful hunt

Congratulations!
Given you're a WY resident, the acclimation shouldn't be that bad for you.
It's been a while since I've scrambled around the Tetons, and I don't know jack about goats.
That said, be wary of bunny huggers and tour-ons (tourist morons) on the Teton Crest trail (if you go that high). But, if you want to go the hard way (i.e. hike up), you can also use it to your advantage. There are plenty of trails from the east side where you can come up over the top in a morning's hike and then come down the west slope.
There used to be a weather station (IIRC NE of Driggs) where you could drive right up to 9K.
I always appreciated the marked difference between the East face (dramatic) and the west slopes (grassy and rolling). The west slopes remind me of the grassy meadows below Old Snowy in the Goat Rocks Wilderness, where you'd see goats at 1K+
Good luck!
I have never heard someone mention Old Snowy on here. I grew up in that country and was all over it on horseback. Brings back some great memories of getting on the backside of Lilly basin and looking at goats along with Heart lake and some others.

I hunted wilderness here,give out one tag bad odds,been at it my whole life no draw.Took 28 years for first moose.Goats white ,duh,easy to spot,youll find one.Friend of mine out of shape and new that I know area well drew,for him I said I could take you,but he physically wasnt up to task,told him a good outfitter.He barely made the final assualt,but scored,was a long horned nannie,with beautiful coat.I believe you will get your chance.

They aren't even fit to eat are they? I see that it depends upon who is doing the eating.
Goat is a good meat, depending on the cut and the preparation and presentation on the plate. We have several goats for pets in our yard and don't eat them, but have had wild goat and it was GREAT!. The trick is the prep when you harvest the goat. You need to skin as soosn as possible, cut any and all fat grizzel, tendons out, then throw meat into a cooler with ice water & salt. The salt lowers the temp of the ice. seasoning is up to you. Look on the internert for cooking & seasoning wild goat. You won't be dissapointed. Not only will you have a trophy and then a gourmet meal.
Good luck and be careful in the mountains. Depending on where and who you hunt with make sure you have a GPS and if can afford a GPS Beacon. I wish I had one of these Beacons 50 years ago. Was on a fishing trip 400 miles away from nowhere and our boat was swamped in a major storm. Well we didn't die, but spent several days in freezing conditions. Till this day can't feel my toes. Not to scare you but PLEASE EVERYONE on all hunting trips plan for the unexpected, because the unexpected always happens. I alway say "SAFETY FIRST" !!!! Leave home, have a good trip, and come home whole! I have seen this on this site and many others "Those that fail to PLAN, Plan to FAIL"
Be safe anf have a GREAT trip.
Len & Jill

Just FYI everyone, don't have very high expectations for me on this......

I thought Gordon put an end to their Arial shooting. Not even offering a hunt to cull. The Dept. Of interior or whoever it was took it open himself to make the call. I'm sure an anti. That's what I took from the article I read two months or so ago. I'm guessing they will be spooky. You will do well. God willing and good luck.

I thought Gordon put an end to their Arial shooting. Not even offering a hunt to cull. The Dept. Of interior or whoever it was took it open himself to make the call. I'm sure an anti. That's what I took from the article I read two months or so ago. I'm guessing they will be spooky. You will do well. God willing and good luck.
There's a outfitter in Alton that's one of the best out that I have used many times and I never went home empty handed his name is Eli I would give him a call and tell tommy Thomas told you call him 208-351/2240