I drank the coax koolaid

I load with a Rockchucker I bought used many years ago, it's strong, simple design and works. The coax looks well engineered but I've never used one so I can't comment on them.

I do have a question on runout though. For the average shooter who doesn't own a custom rifle, someone who'll shoot at max 600 yards with his trued 700 action, barrel of choice and a SAAMI spec chamber.

At what point does runout become a problem, .002, .004? Any definitive examples of excessive runout? Not looking for speculation or theory, but actual results.

Justin

I think it has a lot to do with cartridge.

I check run out and keep it sorted for different uses.

EDit to add: When I was adjusting I didn't adjust anything but surplus. Some of that was/is way out of wack.

Last edited:
Yes I got the Sinclair, and you can still tweak the runout out of the bullet, I see where the runout is and push it against a rubber pad, don't push too hard and only once or twice, you'll get the feel for it and it will shoot better but not as good as bullet that had low runout to begin with so that is the real goal.
Yep. I don't bother any more because it changes the neck tension. I am starting to think that is another very important key to accuracy. Well I should say more important than I thought.

Sold my coax in favor of a mec marksman. If I get another press, it'll be a Zero. However 90% of my ammo is as straight as my buddies zero. The only issue I have, is dies that size very aggressively, like bullet central dies on my norma improved, and Wheeler spec prc chambers.

Tagnbagem, what brass are you using, new, fired, and how are you sizing them, I believe the mec is an excellent press but would like to know what your using for brass and your process
I use new Norma brass to start , fire form what's needed. Then after fire forming, clean, anneal, size using Redding dies and competition shell holders for setting shoulder bump. Trim and chamfer I use a mandrel to set tension(.002). Load using chargemaster. Check with Frankfort electronic scale and also balance beam and use trickler if necessary. I use graphite on bullet. The thing I believe makes a difference on the seating using a Mec is when you set bullet raise the Mec handle and let the shell holder set itself straight under the case and die and then down with handle I also rotate the case 180 degrees in the shell holder and set again and then180 degrees again. Check ogive length. Then check concentricity when done and u will be amazed how they turn out. I really like the Mec. It's built strong and built to last and smooth as silk. Keep it clean and oiled it will last.

Got my RCBS Rockchucker for Christmas 1n 1978 or 1979. Still works great, Did buy a Dillion progressive to handle high volumes like when I was cowboy action shooting. I use the RCBS a lot more. I have a lot of old cartridges that have to be formed from existing brass, so I love it's strength.

Well I just got my rebel in, will set it up tomorrow, hopefully makes some straight ammo, will post results compared to junior

What expander mandrels do you recomend
I use 21st Century personally, but K+M makes a good set also. Some brands sell turning and expanding mandrels, but those are only two sizes. 21st Century and K+M sell sets in 0.0005" increments to allow more options working with neck thicknesses that are not turned or reamed.

A 21st Centruy 6.5mm caliber set would be an easy way to get all of it at once.

Last edited:
Got rebel set up, tried once fired Lapua brass with Hornady FL custom die with expander moved all the way up, checked neck runout and under .001, after sizing it was over .001 and this die set up that way always improves runout, bullet had about .003 when done. I had die set with o ring under and noticed die would tilt slightly as case came out, so now I'm thinking this thing ain't aligned right but then noticed expander had come loose, ran another case up and then centered expander on case and tightened down, no more tiny tilt and runout improved, seated bullet and .001 runout, annealed another once fired Lapua case and it had almost .002 runout at neck, so ran it through and reduced it down to .0005, then I ran it through lee collet die and runout was a little greater but when bullet was seated runout was .0005. I then made some dummy rounds with miscellaneous brass and bullets I pulled and runout stayed right at .001 using same method of collet after FL die, also did body die on once fired Lapua and and collet and results were .0005 to under .001, works great with Forster seating die, seems like my bullet runout doesn't get much greater than neck runout and some not at all. The linkage does seem pretty loose on the down position and I moved it a little left and right but the ram just kinda turns on its axis a tiny bit but it doesn't move left and right or back and forth like my lee, can't feel any slop in the ram if I try to move it around so it is pretty tight. So I made about 15 bullets and only the first one with loose decapper had bad runout, all others .001 or less, seems to give consistent sizing and seating too, though I am still tempted to get a mec and see if it can do better, seems a lot of people are claiming almost 0 runout, maybe the Christmas of two presses. I will say that so far I don't see much difference between it and the rcbs Jr, but haven't done seating on junior, but I feel the Jr is a very good tight press, mine seems to be on the money.

After all day making ammo for 223 I put the new rebel against old rcbs Jr, I tested on new Lapua brass, I changed the dies back and forth and the Jr came out on top, while the rebel was pretty good on the average I got under .002 with the rebel the old Jr averaged right around .00125, nothing over .0015, I guess the first few rounds I made on rebel were the best, but was using once shot and twice shot which turned out really good, figured a good test was to use new brass and just neck size and the junior was clearly better, after pulling the Rams around the Jr had less play, rebel was good but I could feel a little slop, very small, but the junior had almost nothing, I wanted the rebel to use quick change bushings but I guess I'll have to screw them in Everytime and stick with Jr, I guess there was more quality built years ago.

Got rebel set up, tried once fired Lapua brass with Hornady FL custom die with expander moved all the way up, checked neck runout and under .001, after sizing it was over .001 and this die set up that way always improves runout, bullet had about .003 when done. I had die set with o ring under and noticed die would tilt slightly as case came out, so now I'm thinking this thing ain't aligned right but then noticed expander had come loose, ran another case up and then centered expander on case and tightened down, no more tiny tilt and runout improved, seated bullet and .001 runout, annealed another once fired Lapua case and it had almost .002 runout at neck, so ran it through and reduced it down to .0005, then I ran it through lee collet die and runout was a little greater but when bullet was seated runout was .0005. I then made some dummy rounds with miscellaneous brass and bullets I pulled and runout stayed right at .001 using same method of collet after FL die, also did body die on once fired Lapua and and collet and results were .0005 to under .001, works great with Forster seating die, seems like my bullet runout doesn't get much greater than neck runout and some not at all. The linkage does seem pretty loose on the down position and I moved it a little left and right but the ram just kinda turns on its axis a tiny bit but it doesn't move left and right or back and forth like my lee, can't feel any slop in the ram if I try to move it around so it is pretty tight. So I made about 15 bullets and only the first one with loose decapper had bad runout, all others .001 or less, seems to give consistent sizing and seating too, though I am still tempted to get a mec and see if it can do better, seems a lot of people are claiming almost 0 runout, maybe the Christmas of two presses. I will say that so far I don't see much difference between it and the rcbs Jr, but haven't done seating on junior, but I feel the Jr is a very good tight press, mine seems to be on the money.
I have a MEC marksman. Nice press but won't do any better than you currently are doing.