I drank the coax koolaid

First of all I'm a new to this forum but been learning a lot from you guys so thanks. I'll get to the point, seen coax available at Scheels last week so I ordered it while I could, in the mean time while waiting I picked up an old rcbs junior press on cl for 50 bucks, been using lee challenger press which is pretty sloppy, I set up Jr press, used Redding body die and then lee collet die and seated with Forster die on challenger press, to my amazement I had less than .001 runout using Sinclair tool to measure. So I tried it again and again and wow making some straight bullets, 10 in a row, maybe 2 with 0015 runout, coax comes in, set it up, used same sequence and runout is all over the place, some good but most over .003, tried new Lapua brass and still not so good, challenger press would make .001 runout with new brass. So went back to old set up, readjust everything and good ammo again, I'm looking at this coax and seeing all the moving parts, shell holder ain't between the Rams and wondering how something like this can line up better than a ram going through one hole, which seems much simpler, any ideas, I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a rebel or a mec.
RCBS Rock Chucker or Lyman single stage are both about the same, with the Lyman generally being less expensive. I'd get either one.

Sinclair makes excellent stainless lock rings that work well with the coax also.
I've been using my coax for about 10 yrs now and it sits next to a Redding BB2. Ive compared the ammo produced by both using same dies and components and don't see a difference. One thing that might be interesting to try is to use centers similar to a lathe to see how rams and die holes line up. Granted, there is some play in shell holders and plates that allow movement.
I used a Rockchucker for 30 years which I passed on to my son when he wanted to start handloading and its as tight as the day I bought it. It still loads very accurate ammo.
I also use the Sinclair lock rings on my CoAx press. The Sinclair rings are a little thicker and do a better job of holding the die in alignment. I have switched over to the integrated jaw assembly from Forster. During installation I discovered I can adjust the conical post that controls casehead alignment upon closing. I also use screws with conical heads to secure the jaw assembly. With all these alignment improvements, I am now getting runout of .001 or less.

Last edited:
All of you OLD press users what is wrong with you? COME ON MAN....YOU KNOW THE THING. There are all kinds of new wiz bang super awesome better than the last stuff we MUST HAVE and is so much better than the OLD worthless junk. Get with the modern times and sell your OLD no good junk, and order some custom measured super awesome sit around and talk about it stuff. I heard they are coming out with a new Rock Chucker its called the CHUCK A ROCK 6.5, and the back up is 28 ROCKS 2 CHUCK. Thanks for letting my day start off with a good note you old junk users.
Agree. I'll even save you the trouble of getting rid of 'the old stuff!!

That's a very interesting looking doo-dad.

Edit for OP:
I was looking for something else yesterday and remember I came across these for the Co-Ax, might be worth it if you stick with it.
Interesting concept, looks like they're out of stock. When I was getting started with an old Lee Challenger and later a Classic Cast, I switched all my lock rings to the Hornady sure-loc ones. The only loading I've done on my Co-ax is with dies for one caliber that already had the Forster lock rings, but I'm hoping the Hornady rings will work as well. But I haven't checked runout on ammo made with dies using them yet. Does anyone use the Hornady sure-loc die lock rings with the Co-ax, and have you checked your runout with them?

I used an RCBS Rockchucker for many, many years (25+), and now I have a new RCBS Supreme that I have no issues with either. The only reason that I switched from the Rockchucker to the Supreme press was because I wanted one. I know I could still use the Rockchucker without any issues. I also have a Dillon 650XL, it is set up for .45 ACP and it "does" pump out the loaded ammo, but.....so far I cannot seem to figure out how to set it up for another cartridge. Great press, need an engineering degree to do a cartridge change.
?? Well, I can't speak to the 650, but I've had a 550B setup for 22 years and it takes me less than 30 seconds to change calibers. Just get yourself a separate toolhead on a toolhead stand and setup your new dies on the head. Adjust them once and you're set. One of the reasons I got a 550 instead of a 650 is that caliber conversions cost less money, about 2/3rds the cost, and I don't want a case feeder. I handle and quickly inspect each piece of brass as it goes into the machine. It would be nice to have the 650/750 powder check die, but I setup a mirror that looks down into the case at station 2 of the 550. You need to buy the new caliber dies and a caliber conversion kit, then buy either the Deluxe quick change caliber kit that includes the powder measure, or at a minimum get a toolhead and powder die. I ended up with 4 toolheads setup on toolhead stands, with two powder measures. I have the Entirely Crimson quick change on the measures so I can swap them quickly (after draining the powder with a UniqueTek drain and change tool). I think the 650 change will be just as fast for you.

I would have bought the Rockchucker instead of the BB2 but found out the RC was cast in China so that ended it for me

There is nothing wrong with the forster co-ax design. It is vastly superior to the rcbs rock chucker.

You ALL know that calling it a co-ax is a marketing ploy! Even the Rock Chucker is a CO-AX!

You ALL know that calling it a co-ax is a marketing ploy! Even the Rock Chucker is a CO-AX!
LOL...I dont know what COAX is and didn't look it up. WHY? because to me it really doesnt matter since my RC presses work perfectly fine for me. Well.....no I have to look it up thanks to you showing my ignorance. Thanks I appreciate education....really I do.

LOL...I dont know what COAX is and didn't look it up. WHY? because to me it really doesnt matter since my RC presses work perfectly fine for me. Well.....no I have to look it up thanks to you showing my ignorance. Thanks I appreciate education....really I do.
Love my 35 year old US made Rick Chucker. I might even buy a second for my other place!

I think most people who post good reviews for the coax are not measuring runout, I used the Forster rings on mine, I love the way the press works but that old rcbs Jr is making better bullets, after making around 30 bullets and only a couple really good I gave up, I was making great bullets with the Jr so what am I fighting with this press for, and doesn't the shell holder have enough slop to allow for centering, I did put rubber o ring on Jr though, look at the battle of 14 presses, seems like the coax ain't so great, why would anyone make a regular press anymore if coax is so much better, answer, it ain't.