I drank the coax koolaid

First of all I'm a new to this forum but been learning a lot from you guys so thanks. I'll get to the point, seen coax available at Scheels last week so I ordered it while I could, in the mean time while waiting I picked up an old rcbs junior press on cl for 50 bucks, been using lee challenger press which is pretty sloppy, I set up Jr press, used Redding body die and then lee collet die and seated with Forster die on challenger press, to my amazement I had less than .001 runout using Sinclair tool to measure. So I tried it again and again and wow making some straight bullets, 10 in a row, maybe 2 with 0015 runout, coax comes in, set it up, used same sequence and runout is all over the place, some good but most over .003, tried new Lapua brass and still not so good, challenger press would make .001 runout with new brass. So went back to old set up, readjust everything and good ammo again, I'm looking at this coax and seeing all the moving parts, shell holder ain't between the Rams and wondering how something like this can line up better than a ram going through one hole, which seems much simpler, any ideas, I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a rebel or a mec.

I used an RCBS Rockchucker for many, many years (25+), and now I have a new RCBS Supreme that I have no issues with either. The only reason that I switched from the Rockchucker to the Supreme press was because I wanted one. I know I could still use the Rockchucker without any issues. I also have a Dillon 650XL, it is set up for .45 ACP and it "does" pump out the loaded ammo, but.....so far I cannot seem to figure out how to set it up for another cartridge. Great press, need an engineering degree to do a cartridge change.

All of you OLD press users what is wrong with you? COME ON MAN....YOU KNOW THE THING. There are all kinds of new wiz bang super awesome better than the last stuff we MUST HAVE and is so much better than the OLD worthless junk. Get with the modern times and sell your OLD no good junk, and order some custom measured super awesome sit around and talk about it stuff. I heard they are coming out with a new Rock Chucker its called the CHUCK A ROCK 6.5, and the back up is 28 ROCKS 2 CHUCK. Thanks for letting my day start off with a good note you old junk users.
I love it! I only have one rifle whose cartridge was designed in the 21st century, the 300 AAC I use for subsonic supressed fun.
i am not in a rush to get the latest rifle, lastest press or latest anything....what I have is OLD and it WORKS!

I would like to see the results of shooting 0.001, 0.003 and 0.005 runout testing and the effects on groups at 100, 500 and 1000 yards. Sell the runout measuring tool and use the money to by more powder, primers and bullets. LOL….
PS. "Reelamin" that some funny poop!

First of all I'm a new to this forum but been learning a lot from you guys so thanks. I'll get to the point, seen coax available at Scheels last week so I ordered it while I could, in the mean time while waiting I picked up an old rcbs junior press on cl for 50 bucks, been using lee challenger press which is pretty sloppy, I set up Jr press, used Redding body die and then lee collet die and seated with Forster die on challenger press, to my amazement I had less than .001 runout using Sinclair tool to measure. So I tried it again and again and wow making some straight bullets, 10 in a row, maybe 2 with 0015 runout, coax comes in, set it up, used same sequence and runout is all over the place, some good but most over .003, tried new Lapua brass and still not so good, challenger press would make .001 runout with new brass. So went back to old set up, readjust everything and good ammo again, I'm looking at this coax and seeing all the moving parts, shell holder ain't between the Rams and wondering how something like this can line up better than a ram going through one hole, which seems much simpler, any ideas, I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a rebel or a mec.
I think your over thinking things, I guess my question to you would be, did using the coax press effect your shooting proformance?

RC rules. I have had a Co-Ax for thirty-five years. RC rules. Back then it was the Bonanza Co-Ax. In the day we used RCBS lock rings.

I had a RockChucker that wasn't made here, and I could watch the top of the press flex while using it, I put an indicator on it and the ram would deviate almost .015 (because of the flex). I switched over to a Co-Ax B2 (I believe they are on revision B5 now) about ten years ago and have never looked back. If I want to watch a needle move for TIR I use my tenths indicator.

Going to the rings for a moment, they are made of aluminum for a reason, not strictly because they are cheaper, but because they will compress before they potentially damage the die slot in the press from setting the cam over too high.

I use Lee, Hornady, Redding and Forster dies and they all just work, now granted I'm not putting an indicator on the pistol cartridges, but they aren't getting stopped from gaging so I don't worry about it.

So through all that I say, if you're getting better results, for how you load, through an RCBS, by all means use that; and I'm sure you can twist someone's arm here to take that Co-Ax off your hands.

I would like to see the results of shooting 0.001, 0.003 and 0.005 runout testing and the effects on groups at 100, 500 and 1000 yards. Sell the runout measuring tool and use the money to by more powder, primers and bullets. LOL….
PS. "Reelamin" that some funny poop!
Runout is only one more factor that doesn't matter. You know like SD, Jump, Node, Bullet, Trim, Tension, Case, Bullet, Twist, Engraving, etc. 🤣

Runout Testing? I sort and check every cartridge because I found it mattered for me. YMMV.

I won't argue about relevancy of runout but want to recognize the OP said new to reloading yet instead of just trusting opinion and he actually measured stuff. But I do think it highlights there are tons of things you can measure in this reloading gig, but as pointed out already at the end of the day if you want accuracy over all else you can make yourself crazy measuring too many things. I really appreciate hearing from people like Erik Cortina and the very simplified approach to reloading that is backed up by real results at long distance.

JB

Most folks are of the mindset that everything has to be locked down and rigidly fixed to produce top tier ammo, but that is not the only way to do it. If everything can float and moves easily, then they will self-align.

From my analysis of the design the key to the Coax is that everything has to be able to float. If one thing is fixed or won't easily move then you're not likely to get the desired results.

My Rock Chucker came to me used. I know that it has produced 50k worth of .357 Mag rounds because the previous owner had the end flaps from the bricks of primers to prove it (he told me that he'd nearly flame cut thru the top strap of an 8-3/8" S&W 5 screw M27). Lord only knows how many rounds of other calibers it has made. The ram to body fit is now loose enough that I doubt that it can make extremely low run-out ammo. I have pondered boring it out and inserting linear bearings or having the ram flame-sprayed and centerless ground to the new diameter, but I think that I'll just use the Coax instead.

Recent Posts