I didn't want to be "That guy"

Ok, I know this is exactly the same only different. I was on my boat yesterday and I guy was coming in with his 30' fishing boat and trying to get into his slip. He was coming in pretty fast, he tried to turn in but overshot. Instead of trying to correct by coming back from the other side, he pulled all the way out and tried again. Again, way too fast. This time while overshooting, he tried to back up go forward back up go forward, all too fast. I thought sure he would hit boats on my dock, but luckily he did not. Then he pulled all the way out again and tried again, and again, and again. All the while I'm thinking, do I tell him what to do. I know this is good practice for him but practicing wrong is just well wrong. So I got his attention. Got him to go very slowly, and he got in. Hopefully it will go better next for him. Some times you just have to speak up.
Was his wife beside him screaming "stop, back up, go forward"?
Lol. Lots of people who can afford boats but no idea how to run one. I took a 100ton captains course after high school. At one time I was pretty proficient docking my dads 35ft Carver.

Had quite a few Be that guy instances at the range. From helping sighting in to solving accuracy issues to helping to clear a jammed Marlin 336A.

Best one was when I was still going to my favorite public range but the range was still essentially unsupervised and relied on common sense and common courtesy for safety.

I was there shooting a bunch of different HGs Rifles and even my inline ML's. Was at the 100 yard range when a guy pulls up and sets up on the bench next to us with essentially a copy of my friends SST/LAM M77 but in 30/06. We quickly figured out he was trying to sight in the rifle and was using Federal Premium ammo.

He was shooting off a milk crate of all things and not enjoying much success and not even getting on paper at 100 yards. He then went to the 50 yard range and proceeds to shoot while sitting on the ground. We could tell he was getting ever more frustrated and that was then we offered to help.

He gladly agreed and told us he was leaving in 5 weeks for his first fully guided elk trip and he had been in the middle of a divorce and had little time to get to the range and could use all the help he could get. We spent the next four+ hours helping him getting his rifle sighted in using my rests and equipment and set up instructing him in the basics of how to shoot a rifle and had him perform a series of shooting drills to at least get him somewhat prepared for taking a shot at an elk under field conditions. Thankfully he had five 20 round boxes of the same ammo so he was able to shoot without fear of running out of ammo. The setting sun finally brought an end to the day.

We did all we could to help the guy out and when he left he was doing well to 200 yards which was the ranges max distance. Felt pretty good helping out someone who kept his mouth closed, ears open and learned.

You and sailorjim may have been lucky enough to help a person from another country better enjoy one of the most important freedoms we have here. One that many of us take for granted because we have had it all our lives. You got to share that with them. Pretty cool.

You and sailorjim may have been lucky enough to help a person from another country better enjoy one of the most important freedoms we have here. One that many of us take for granted because we have had it all our lives. You got to share that with them. Pretty cool.
I wouldn't take that for granted. There is many that want to take that away for us. We held the Senate for now. So nothing will happen for now, but we are just one election way from loosing our rights.

I wouldn't take that for granted. There is many that want to take that away for us. We held the Senate for now. So nothing will happen for now, but we are just one election way from loosing our rights.
Who knows by helping them explore that right, one they may not have had where they came from, sailorjim and Its204fast may have gave us two more votes for our rights. No one will miss what they didn't know or do. To get people to understand our 2nd Amendment rights they have to be introduced to enjoyment and security they bring us.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.