I didn't want to be "That guy"

Several months ago at the range, there were two Italian guys sitting at the 50yd bench (who had just moved from the 100yd,) shooting a Winchester .30-06 with a scope. I see them there every few weeks.

I was sitting there talking reloading with a guy who had a custom built rifle. I noticed the guys chattering in Italian, pointing at the rifle then the target. I asked the guy I was talking with to let me look at their target with his spotting scope. they had a 12in group at 50yds. My initial thought was they were flinching, so we started watching them shoot. They were using a barrel rest ON THE BARREL. I turned to the guy I was talking to laughed and asked if I should say something... his reply was "no let them figure it out." I couldn't do that. I sat there for a second thinking how to show them their problem without coming off as "That Guy." I walked over and said 'I see your having some problems, I think I know what it is.' as I grabbed the barrel and lifted it up and slid the barrel rest under the stock. They shot a few more times (group tightened up considerably) and walked over and thanked me.
I had the same thing with a girl from Norway trying to learn to shoot a pistol, with no help. Two minutes and she was consistently hitting the target. You did the right thing, keep it up.

I was at a small indoor range (40 yards max rifle), and noticed a group of 6 or 7 young men, chattering away, apparently about their rifle's ability. Looked over to see quite a spray across a target at about 20 yards. I quietly walked by them and quickly spotted the problem. Looked like a fresh store-bought AR, with no sights. Apparently eyeballing the pic rail wasn't getting the job done for them. They looked sort of gangsta, and I'm not sure I spoke their language, so I minded my own business. I actually thought about suggesting they try holding it sideways, but fortunately thought the better of it.

I live it when someone teaches me and dont make me feel like a dumb butt!!!

It is hard to try and figure out something that you dont understand and be wasting time and money. So when someone shows me it is awesome to add their knowledge and experience to my tool box.

THANKS FOR BEING THE GUY THAT SUPPORTS THE 2ND AND HELPED OTHERS COME TO LIVE THE 2A WAY

Ok, I know this is exactly the same only different. I was on my boat yesterday and I guy was coming in with his 30' fishing boat and trying to get into his slip. He was coming in pretty fast, he tried to turn in but overshot. Instead of trying to correct by coming back from the other side, he pulled all the way out and tried again. Again, way too fast. This time while overshooting, he tried to back up go forward back up go forward, all too fast. I thought sure he would hit boats on my dock, but luckily he did not. Then he pulled all the way out again and tried again, and again, and again. All the while I'm thinking, do I tell him what to do. I know this is good practice for him but practicing wrong is just well wrong. So I got his attention. Got him to go very slowly, and he got in. Hopefully it will go better next for him. Some times you just have to speak up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.