I didn't want to be "That guy"

Its204fast

Several months ago at the range, there were two Italian guys sitting at the 50yd bench (who had just moved from the 100yd,) shooting a Winchester .30-06 with a scope. I see them there every few weeks.

I was sitting there talking reloading with a guy who had a custom built rifle. I noticed the guys chattering in Italian, pointing at the rifle then the target. I asked the guy I was talking with to let me look at their target with his spotting scope. they had a 12in group at 50yds. My initial thought was they were flinching, so we started watching them shoot. They were using a barrel rest ON THE BARREL. I turned to the guy I was talking to laughed and asked if I should say something... his reply was "no let them figure it out." I couldn't do that. I sat there for a second thinking how to show them their problem without coming off as "That Guy." I walked over and said 'I see your having some problems, I think I know what it is.' as I grabbed the barrel and lifted it up and slid the barrel rest under the stock. They shot a few more times (group tightened up considerably) and walked over and thanked me.

Several months ago at the range, there were two Italian guys sitting at the 50yd bench (who had just moved from the 100yd,) shooting a Winchester .30-06 with a scope. I see them there every few weeks.

I was sitting there talking reloading with a guy who had a custom built rifle. I noticed the guys chattering in Italian, pointing at the rifle then the target. I asked the guy I was talking with to let me look at their target with his spotting scope. they had a 12in group at 50yds. My initial thought was they were flinching, so we started watching them shoot. They were using a barrel rest ON THE BARREL. I turned to the guy I was talking to laughed and asked if I should say something... his reply was "no let them figure it out." I couldn't do that. I sat there for a second thinking how to show them their problem without coming off as "That Guy." I walked over and said 'I see your having some problems, I think I know what it is.' as I grabbed the barrel and lifted it up and slid the barrel rest under the stock. They shot a few more times (group tightened up considerably) and walked over and thanked me.
It's never the wrong time to do the right thing. Good job.

Honestly, I think you should definitely be that guy. Anyone having the sort of trouble that you witnessed is a potential safety risk.

I don't know how many times I've been to a public range where a guy, his buddy and one of their girlfriends is trying to figure out how to sight in an AR15 or similar and have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

When they are sitting next to me, I cannot focus on what I'm doing because I'm watching them out of the corner of my eye worrying that their problems are going to evolve into a real safety risk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts