I Continue to be Amazed with the 215 Hybrid

I'm a long range shooter and constantly shoot the 210gr. Berger in my .300 win mag. I worked for a while on the load, it seem like it took forever to get it perfect, but I'm able to get .25 MOA and less with it easy now. I run 11 thousands off the lands and 79.5gr of retumbo. I'm getting 3010 FPS. This still carries a lot of energy at 1200 yds. I've also got a .338 RUM. I prefer the .300 because I can shoot it all day. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take an elk down at 1000 with it.

My first long range group was 4.375 1004 yds off the bi pod. I'm hooked!
Still trying to get the video up for you "hitting the burnt pine"

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 19
My first long range group was 4.375 1004 yds off the bi pod. I'm hooked!
Still trying to get the video up for you "hitting the burnt pine"

NICE SHOOTIN. This talk has got me thinking of dusting off my 300 ultra and turnin it into a tommyhawk or something. That would spank an edge in wind till you got waaaaaay out there.

NICE SHOOTIN. This talk has got me thinking of dusting off my 300 ultra and turnin it into a tommyhawk or something. That would spank an edge in wind till you got waaaaaay out there.

Actually they are close to the same at 1000 with a 10 mph wind.

Jeff

Great info Broz, I have been following all of your posts on all the bergers, even the 230s. I don't want to hijack your thread but I have been wanting to ask you a question for a while now. I have a basic rem 700 300 win mag without a break. I have no problem with the recoil. I have been wanting to take it to Phoenix Custom Rifles here in AZ and have them make it a custom. But I am tempted to turn it into a 300 RUM with a break. I want it for my only rifle and I want to hunt deer, elk, and maybe some bear here in AZ and if it happens to be long distance, I want it to be capable to reach out there. What's your thought of a 300 RUM shooting the 215s or 230s? I know it is more expensive to reload for and the barrel life may be less but the extra velocity should have more knockdown power and even more useful, help it buck the wind better. Or should I just stick with the 300 winmag? Thanks for your time.

Great info Broz, I have been following all of your posts on all the bergers, even the 230s. I don't want to hijack your thread but I have been wanting to ask you a question for a while now. I have a basic rem 700 300 win mag without a break. I have no problem with the recoil. I have been wanting to take it to Phoenix Custom Rifles here in AZ and have them make it a custom. But I am tempted to turn it into a 300 RUM with a break. I want it for my only rifle and I want to hunt deer, elk, and maybe some bear here in AZ and if it happens to be long distance, I want it to be capable to reach out there. What's your thought of a 300 RUM shooting the 215s or 230s? I know it is more expensive to reload for and the barrel life may be less but the extra velocity should have more knockdown power and even more useful, help it buck the wind better. Or should I just stick with the 300 winmag? Thanks for your time.

Gaps, I can't live with the short barrel life of the RUM. I simply shoot too much. I have owned some, and been around several. Plus I use to shoot the 30-378's too. I now am back to the 300 win and happy to be there. Once I get a rifle shooting like my 300 win is I want it to last a while before I have to start over with a new barrel. If you do go with the RUM I would definitely go with the 230's.

Jeff

thanks for the quick reply! the barrel life kinda has me concerned but I'm pretty sure I don't shoot as much as you do. I feel like I just need to go with the RUM and see for myself if it is worth the extra cost to load and shortened barrel life. But as you responded I was reading about the 7 LRM and it has me thinking about the 180s or even the 195! Ah, decisions....thanks again!

Gaps, I can't live with the short barrel life of the RUM. I simply shoot too much. I have owned some, and been around several. Plus I use to shoot the 30-378's too. I now am back to the 300 win and happy to be there. Once I get a rifle shooting like my 300 win is I want it to last a while before I have to start over with a new barrel. If you do go with the RUM I would definitely go with the 230's.

Jeff

Broz,
what velocity do you think the rum should push the 230.... Havent even tried them yet but if you recommend em for the ultra......id like to know a little more...... You are defineatly a "go to" guy when it comes to bergers. I have just got the 210s shootin in my ultra. Roy took me up and shot at his spot and I was floored that I did as well as I did (half moa at 1175).....still new to this game but am hooked....... Why would you go with the 230 in the ultra.... Im shootin a modest 3044 with the 210 but thats probably because of my 26 in tube.....
Im loading 91.5 retumbo in match prepped remmy brass. I shot the 215 at 91.5 and had two sticky bolts out of 4 rounds so I think I was gettin up there in pressure....I quit and focused on the 210.
Will the 230 add any barrel life because of slower velocitys..... Im sure this is a shot on the dark on my behalf just curious as to why the 230....... And can I set it up the way your thinkin with a 26 in tube.......Thanks in advance.

Is the 300 RUM that inefficient of a case? I shoot one with the 215's and everyone on here that is shooting a 300 Win Mag is getting way more speed than me. I have a factory Sendero barrel, 91 gr H-1000, Fed 215 match, Rem brass, COAL 3.843". This is giving me a velocity of 2985 FPS. I know I talked this over with Broz a couple months ago but need to ask again. I now speed is not everything and my load shoots awesome. But when it comes time to rebarrel I don't know if it will be a 300 RUM again. I feel I should be able to shoot these 215's at 3100 FPS comfortably. Do I just need a longer barrel?

Broz,
what velocity do you think the rum should push the 230.... Havent even tried them yet but if you recommend em for the ultra......id like to know a little more...... You are defineatly a "go to" guy when it comes to bergers. I have just got the 210s shootin in my ultra. Roy took me up and shot at his spot and I was floored that I did as well as I did (half moa at 1175).....still new to this game but am hooked....... Why would you go with the 230 in the ultra.... Im shootin a modest 3044 with the 210 but thats probably because of my 26 in tube.....
Im loading 91.5 retumbo in match prepped remmy brass. I shot the 215 at 91.5 and had two sticky bolts out of 4 rounds so I think I was gettin up there in pressure....I quit and focused on the 210.
Will the 230 add any barrel life because of slower velocitys..... Im sure this is a shot on the dark on my behalf just curious as to why the 230....... And can I set it up the way your thinkin with a 26 in tube.......Thanks in advance.

I will shoot the biggest highest BC bullet I can in a given caliber as long as it is 1: accurate and 2: has decent velocity. In the 30-378 with a 230 we have seen around 3100 and were not pushing it at all. I have not loaded the 230's in the RUM but would think equal results would be easy. In my mind and experience bigger bullets kill better and faster, especially Berger bullets. Your 3044 with the 210 in your RUM is interesting. My most accurate load with a 210 in a 30-378 was 3050 and also from a 26" tube. But when we switched them to the 230's our accuracy node was at a higher velocity with less powder. I just feel the 230 is a better fit in larger cases and makes for a more efficient round. I believe smaller bullets in the larger cases are subject to a point of diminishing returns and don't take good advantage of the case volume. Remember, I always think in terms of long range first. I want the best results at the longest distances and the shorter shots will usually take care of them self with less concerns.

I don't think you will see a noticeable difference in barrel life between the 210 and a 230. At least not something we can put a finger on and especially at the velocity you are running yours. Remember, it is the heat that does most barrel damage, longer life will come from letting her cool between shots and avoiding long strings of shots. Two shot groups and a cooling session will be your friend. If your rifle is showing you some 1/2 moa groups at close to 1200 yards I think you should enjoy that load for a while. I would take a hard look before I would change anything. But if the 230's are catching your eye I think they will serve you better, as far as efficiency in the RUM case. That said I stacked game like cord wood from my 30-378's with 210's.

Jeff

Is the 300 RUM that inefficient of a case? I shoot one with the 215's and everyone on here that is shooting a 300 Win Mag is getting way more speed than me. I have a factory Sendero barrel, 91 gr H-1000, Fed 215 match, Rem brass, COAL 3.843". This is giving me a velocity of 2985 FPS. I know I talked this over with Broz a couple months ago but need to ask again. I now speed is not everything and my load shoots awesome. But when it comes time to rebarrel I don't know if it will be a 300 RUM again. I feel I should be able to shoot these 215's at 3100 FPS comfortably. Do I just need a longer barrel?

Beeman, what altitude? We are at 4100 ft and I am getting more velocity than you from over 10 gr less of H-1000. I suspect you should try a different chronograph.

Jeff

I am at 1300 FT. I have tried stacking two different chronographs, and they were nearly identical. My drops out to 700 yds are spot on using SHOOTER; with a MV of 2985 fps. Killed a buck at 724 yds in Sask this year. The 215 Hybrid worked awesome, massive damage and big exit. Like I said I really do like the RUM, but not the extra recoil and 10 gr of powder I burn compared to a 300 WIN MAG. If I could be guaranteed a 300 WIN MAG could get me close to 3100 fps I would go that route. Was thinking about ordering a barrel for when this one is shot out I will have one on hand.

Thanks for all the input and feedback, this is exactly what I need to hear so I can choose a caliber to build off of!

If I could be guaranteed a 300 WIN MAG could get me close to 3100 fps I would go that route. Was thinking about ordering a barrel for when this one is shot out I will have one on hand.

Having a new barrel on the shelf is always a good plan no matter what you choose to chamber it in.

I would not plan on any 28" 300 win getting you 3100 with a 215 Hybrid. 2950fps or close is doable in a 28" and in rare cases like my rifle 3025 to 3050 @ 4100 als. But remember my rifle, be it Lapua brass, Defiance action, Broughton 5C being a fast tube or all of the above, is the exception, not the norm. We were over 2900 with my sons 300 win and a 210. That rifle also wears a 28" Broughton 5C. So it should go 2950 with a 215 Hybrid. Rifles in 300 win that will go over 2950 with a 210 or 215 are rare. I just fell into this one.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.