I chose Browning this time.. hope i dont regret it!!

stokley1

Hello all. I have been looking into shooting out to about 500yrds as a starting point for my long range target shooting. I own a Rem 700 sps 30-06, i love the gun its a dedicated hunter. I got a chance to go shoot with my uncle who is a die hard Browning man. I was really impressed with his guns. The one i enjoyed most was a browning A bolt composite stalker in 300wsm. So after shooting all day i just went home and ordered the Browning A-Bolt Target Bolt Action Rifle .308 Winchester 28 Heavy Bull Barrel, 1-10 twist, adjustable comb. All i have done to the gun is buy and install a 2lb timney trigger spring. Its a beautiful gun. I am waiting on my Leupold VX-3 Scope 3.5-10x40mm Custom Dial System scope.
So i know that not many people like browning outside of hunting, And i know the aftermarket is not there for the browning. I just wanted to do something different. If anyone has any experience with the Browing target riffles i would like to know your opinion on performance/accuracy. You cant find anything online about them. When my scope comes in I will put some pics up and let you guys know how it does at 500yrds. I look forward to your feed back. Thanks

I had th the browning eclipse-1000 with the heavy 26" barrel and the boss in 7wsm. It shot 1/2 groups with factory ammunition and I hadn't adjusted the trigger. I like the short bolt throw, easily the best detachable mag box system and fit and finish awseome. The 28" barrel sounds awesome. FN's hammer forging process with barrel's is top shelf. You won't be disappointed, you give up extensive customizing that the rem 700 has, but you get real quality and service with Brownings. I think precision shooting at targets is a more expensive game then most of us know. But for day in day out target shooting, if you can get a load in th 1/2 inch range you can't beat quality browning. Have fun. Have confidence in your rifle. They hold their value in the secondary market just fine.

Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to shooting it. Like i said still waiting on the scope. But heres a stock pic of the model i ordered. When i get a chance ill shoot at some longer ranges. I live on a dear lease in East TX, and have clear line of sight on part of the property at 500yrds.

etisll40 I was going to get the eclipse, but ended up going with the target model. But hope to add an eclipse to my collection some day.

Attachments

• A-Bolt-Target-MID-035189-l.jpg
    A-Bolt-Target-MID-035189-l.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 27
Sorry to dissapoint. I work in the oilfield. Im 500 miles from home. When i get home and get the scope mounted ill be very generous with pic's.

Glad to hear you are working. Post some pics and tell me about Timney's trigger upgrade. I only sold the Eclipse as I wanted a hunting stock after I found out how accurate it was. The 28" barrel is unbelievably long especially for a 308? It should be a hammer for a 308, it will be interesting for you to update. I think Brownings detachable magazine system is the best of both worlds for hunting. At the range I single fed any way, but I really like the flush mount and it felt solid. I'm going to check the website to see if they put that on your version. Please update on accuracy and if you build a load what works in it. The trigger and the converting to a hunting stock made me sell it. I may buy another, I really like the short bolt throw of the A-bolt. I have been spoiled on Jewel triggers of recent. Good Luck.

Great looking gun. I would like to hear a review after you get it sighted in and shooting too.

I have one of the original Browning A-Bolts in 7mm RM that I have killed most of my game with over the last 25 years. So Brownings are kind of special for me too. Like everyone, I love the 60 degree bolt through. This gun is still my goto gun for shorter range and woods hunting. Mine has the Timney spring. And totally agree that the Browning removable magazine is the best out there.

Let us know how she shoots. :D

Here some more incouragement.

270wsmtarget_001.jpg

This was shot with my browning. M-1000 Eclipse in 270wsm. 130gr Barnes TSX with 75gr magpro. 3500fps.

I hope you have as good of results as I have with mine. Hands down most accurate rifle I have ever shot.

I have owned a couple of A-bolts and loved them. Most likely, if there is a weakness in your shooting system, it will be your choice of scope. I'm not knocking Leupold. I do have the same CDL model as you mounted on a model 7 in 243. It wears a custom 1 in 8 twist barrel and is designed for mid-range shooting with Berger 105's out to 800 yds or so. The problem with this CDL scope is the lack of paralax adjustment. If you are sighted in at 200 and everything is crisp and clear, your target at 500 is completely out of focus - at least for precision shooting. The only way to compensate is to mess around with the ocular focus ring. I can live with this for now, but I need to change out in the future. Good scope, just not medium to long range material.

It's amazing what you get in the Eclipse-1000, that bull barrel from FN shoots. They are readily available on Gunbroker in the 1000 range. You have to go custom in the 2000-3500 range to really get what Browning has done with the Eclipse-1000. Until you are a total accuracy and custom freak (and you may get there) it is better to start off with the Browning and learn there. You might not need another rifle in that caliber for awhile.

Im not 100% settled on the scope yet. I just got the rifle. Got the talley integrated scope mounts to keep it simple, and low profile. So i have about $700 left in my current budget for this rifle before my Wife/Accountant sets off the alarm. I can probably get away with anything under $1000.

What scope would you guys recommend? Honestly most of my shooting will be between 300-600yds. I would like to reach out there, but also hit a deer at 200yds if need be. Or i could use this set up for Paper only. Just want to show it off when i go hunting!! Thanks for the help.

Sorry no updates yet on the gun. I am working out of State until late January. But believe me as soon as i get to the house it's getting sighted in, and lots of Pic's and details. Thanks again.

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 22
If you can, get the Vortex PST 6x24x50 with the (ebr-1) if you can, there are so many longrange shooters here buying this glass , that it seems like it's the jr., version of Nightforce. About 1/2 the price and I read better glass than Leupold Mark 4. That in and of itself is a significant step up from the vx-3. I've got one vx-3 and like it, but the Vortex is within 50 bucks of it used. I wish I had bought the Vortex. What caliber in the Eclipse-1000 did you get? Boss?

2cents

Ok also i really like this scope's power & the bdc reticle. Would you say take this over the Leupold? I settled on this before the leupold but now i second guessing myself.

Thanks again

Attachments

• nikon-bdc-reticle-yardage.jpg
    nikon-bdc-reticle-yardage.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 18

Recent Posts