I cant decide...help haha

Of the two I go with the 300 RUM. But if I personally was going to build a new rifle I would have to be different and do a 358 STA or 358 UMT, just because I like the 35 caliber and because I can. My other choses would be some sort of 270 or 338.

I'd take the RUM for better barrel life.

Side note, when I shoot my gong at 200 meters with my 300 WM w/215 Berger- it rings and swings it. When I shoot the same gong with my 338 edge, it literally knocks it over. The difference is rather profound.

I have two 28s, four RUMs and one Edge (one of the Edges is now a 28) and two Lapuas. Honestly, in terms of LR performance, there is no difference between any of them in terms of wind. I would say they are all inherently accurate, if there is such as thing. The 28 has two advantages; easier to seat out further giving you more OAL versatility, and far less blast, allowing you to stay on target to see impact. I cannot stay on target with my RUMs, Edges, and Lapuas (at least with left hand holding the bag) at 800 but I can with the 28. I can get back on target with the others at 1200.

Obviously, any of these are best with higher BC bullets unless something lighter groups substantially different, in which case the allowable wind error might be greater than the higher BC bullet.

I currently own a 28 Nosler and shoot my buddy's 300 RUM on a regular basis. I think you can't go wrong with either as far as ballistics or terminal performance. The 28 is easier to load longer bullets for if you have it throated for 195's. The RUM will always be handicapped with the bullet seated deep in the case. With that said, of the 2 cartridges you listed, I would go with the 300 RUM. The barrel on my 28 is toast at around 500 rounds down it.
If you are open to other options, have you looked at the 30-28? That is what I am going to rebarrel my 28 to. You can seat the longer bullets out where they belong and it looks like a hammer.

I currently own a 28 Nosler and shoot my buddy's 300 RUM on a regular basis. I think you can't go wrong with either as far as ballistics or terminal performance. The 28 is easier to load longer bullets for if you have it throated for 195's. The RUM will always be handicapped with the bullet seated deep in the case. With that said, of the 2 cartridges you listed, I would go with the 300 RUM. The barrel on my 28 is toast at around 500 rounds down it.
If you are open to other options, have you looked at the 30-28? That is what I am going to rebarrel my 28 to. You can seat the longer bullets out where they belong and it looks like a hammer.

You know that's why the have the Wyatt's box extender. Can run bullets to 3.98" COAL. I don't have bullets eating up space in my 300 RUM case based cartridges.
I do like the 30 or 28-30 nosler with the proper throat.

Ok I have been debating for months on what long range rifle I want to build. I'm going to build off a doner Remington 700 action. I have narrowed it down to two calibers. The 28 nolser or a 300 ultra.

I was thinking of the 28 nolser throated out to receive the 195 bergers to get the high B.C. of the caliber

With the 300 ultra I would get an extended mag and make sure its throated to seat the 225 bergers out further.

I've hunted with a 300 ultra since I was 16. So I dont know if it's just a confidence thing that I keep wanting to go back to that caliber. I know the 29 nolser would have a little better bc
Gaaaaaaaa I dont know. Help me choose!
300 RUM.

Ok I have been debating for months on what long range rifle I want to build. I'm going to build off a doner Remington 700 action. I have narrowed it down to two calibers. The 28 nolser or a 300 ultra.

I was thinking of the 28 nolser throated out to receive the 195 bergers to get the high B.C. of the caliber

With the 300 ultra I would get an extended mag and make sure its throated to seat the 225 bergers out further.

I've hunted with a 300 ultra since I was 16. So I dont know if it's just a confidence thing that I keep wanting to go back to that caliber. I know the 29 nolser would have a little better bc
Gaaaaaaaa I dont know. Help me choose!
If you are really set for long range capabilities have you already rejected the likes of .338s: Norma, Lapua and RUM? There are bullets of phenomenal BCs - the VLDs, etc. There has been tremendous advancements in the .338s the least of which is not the military applications and the funding for R+D. // If interested in keeping the chambering in the 7mm/.280 area . . . my favorite for personal interests is the .280 Improved OR better yet getting into the area of 7mm/280 . . . WSM and RSAM. (JMO) No help from me on your specific original question though . . . sorry!

I had a 28 Nosler and ran through 2 barrels. I decided to go with the 30-28 Nosler. I am shooting the 215 Berger's @ 3050 fps and the load was so easy to tune. Ryan Pierce @ Piercision Rifles built mine. I absolutely love this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.