I am thinking about building a new hunting rifle

Bobhunts

Looking at a low recoil rifle with good down range statistics. I have a remington 700 donor and have bought a Rifle Basic trigger to start. I have so many different rifles and calibers I am kind of at a place on what to build that meets a low recoil rifle. One caliber I have been looking at is the 6.5 SUAM. Have any of you had experience with this caliber?

Bighorn TL3 long action, Manners EH1 with CIP length mini chassis, proof 28 nosler barrel, trigger tech special trigger.

Since you want to use that rifle to hunt and just shoot with, I recommend getting a second barrel. 6.5 creed or something, use the 6.5 saum for hunting and the other for target shooting. Cheaper ammo to target shoot with and wont burn out your 6.5 saum barrel on the range. PM me if you want more details.

Just FYI, on the trigger, TL3 doesn't like the timney calvin elite. Thats what i started with, there is a known issue with that trigger that I didnt know about before purchasing it. So just dont use it on a TL3 action. I recommend trigger tech, its been great, that is what Big horn recommended to me.
(edit to add, just saw that you were already looking at using a trigger tech trigger, I'm still going to leave the info above just as an FYI)

My next project will be a more compact hunting rifle. TL3 short action, manners stock, somewhere around a 20" barrel thinking 6.5 saum or 7 saum.

What I'm doing for a low recoil 500 yd deer rifle is a 6 Dasher. Depending on barrel length guys are saying 2850-3000 fps with a 105 gr bullet.

Look at a 6br improved or turbo as some call it. That's about as good as it gets. Beside the creedmore of course. Lol
The br or dasher are both great little rounds especially for what you are looking for.

About a year ago I got a great deal on a 700 action and a unchambered 264 8 twist Bartlien barrel and so began the search for what to do with it. It didn't take long for my 11 year old son to decide that we should build him a rifle. So we started his education into cartridge selection. Long story short we decided on building a 260 AI

I put a criterion in 6 creedmoor on a Remington action, and it shoots sub 3/8. Recoils is a little bit subjective, but the rifle weighs about 13 lbs with a PST 2 and supressor on it, so the recoil is very light. My 10 year old has no trouble shooting it accurately.

If you have a short action and with standard bolt face I would go with a 7mm-08, bigger bore than the 6 and 6.5 so wider wound channels and better ballistics than a 30 cal. It has a nice low recoil.

If you have a magnun bolt face go with a 7 SAUM. Recoil is not bad at all either.

Both are very accurate and easy to find loads for. Wide range of bullet weights available and for the SAUM a good selection of large for caliber bullets for larger game like elk.

Just an opinion and mine alone! I am not a fan of a 308 or the 7mm-08, but I am a huge fan of the 260. As far as a wild cat round I would love to roll a 6.5 SAUM.
Also a personal opinion is if you plan on elk, then I would prefer a 7mm+ cal, but if not probably my favorite cal is the .257. Arguably my fav all time is the 25-05 or the 257roy. I also think a 25-260 would be a fun round. Also just thinking the 270wsm would be a nice mild magnum.

Looking at a low recoil rifle with good down range statistics. I have a remington 700 donor and have bought a Rifle Basic trigger to start. I have so many different rifles and calibers I am kind of at a place on what to build that meets a low recoil rifle. One caliber I have been looking at is the 6.5 SUAM. Have any of you had experience with this caliber?

I do have experience. IMO it is the best all around 6.5 caliber on the market. Excellent accuracy, velocity, and case capacity, with the ability to run 140 and larger bullets above the 3000 fps threshold....and should get you above 2000 rounds barrel life. Very manageable recoil.

Built one last year on a defiance action, 24 inch 1:8 twist CF barrel, Timney Elite trigger set to 2 lbs, and topped it with a Kahles K624 scope.

Running 140 grain VLD's with 63.1 grains of H1000 and seeing 3220 fps per the magnetos speed chrono. No issues with pressure and seeing groups in the high 2's. Total rifle weight is 10 lbs 4 oz.

Just an opinion and mine alone! I am not a fan of a 308 or the 7mm-08, but I am a huge fan of the 260. As far as a wild cat round I would love to roll a 6.5 SAUM.
Also a personal opinion is if you plan on elk, then I would prefer a 7mm+ cal, but if not probably my favorite cal is the .257. Arguably my fav all time is the 25-05 or the 257roy. I also think a 25-260 would be a fun round. Also just thinking the 270wsm would be a nice mild magnum.

Agree with your opinion on calibers for elk. Yes, a well placed 140 grain bullet our of a 6.5 will do the job, and it has. At the same time, I personally prefer a 175 grain or larger bullet on elk

Ran a 270 WSM for some time and it is a great round that hammers critters. Seems like in the new race for speed and huge bullets, the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 GAP 4S would get you better ballistics.

What cartridges do you already have and what is the purpose of this rifle? Hunting? Shooting? or both? To what distnce

Do you need something lightweight like 6 to 8 lbs or a 10 to 11 lb rig?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts