I am so depressed

Here's some straight skinny for ya.

F&G as controlled the wolfs down to maybe several singles in the unit. Thus the elk populations, habits and traits are as they were. Large herds, large bulls. Archery hunters have experienced enjoyable hunts due to the fact of getting on elk regularly but holding out for the bigger bull that they can't get close enough.

69 is not like other units such as 51, 37A and 29 where the influx of wolves has reduced the number of elk, reduced grouping to less than half a dozen or so.

Another effect/affect of the wolves is that, as noticed by those who persist in hunting those units is that the bulls are getting smaller as more lesser bulls are able to breed.

I didn't think of that one. But 4 years seems to have made a somewhat noticeable difference.

I just checked the map, we are in the same area normally. Our camp is just west of "4th of July"

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one Murphy moved in with. My situation is similar in many ways. In 2 weeks time, my microwave broke, (of course my wife wanted the best when we went shopping) then my water softener went bad only to be out done by my refrigerator croaking on me-(have you priced those suckers lately) then when the storm cleared for a day my wife called me at work and said the heat pump sounded like an air compressor! Needless to say it was not cheap to fix!
So to make matters worse, I hurt my back hanging drywall which I've been doing for 18 years and now and I really can't walk.
Anybody wanna trade places?
Well thank the Lord anyways, it's only material stuff, but I do have a family with 3 hungry kids that think they need to eat all the time!
So it looks like I'll be selling one of my guns very soon. Keep an eye out for it.

Sorry to hear it friend. I spent way too much on a couple new guns this year, suffered a back injury this spring that is not healing, and now realize that I cannot hike more than a couple of miles... if it's relatively flat... and I don't plan on going out a second day... and don't shoot anything because I couldn't pack it out anyway.
This really sucks because I can see elk country from the house and it is less than an hour drive to be there.
Also the 4K in medical bills so far, and a trip to see the neuro surgeon in a week, and no health insurance...
Fortunately this is the worst I have to deal with. It's not life-threatening, it may yet heal, and I have a private land tag to shoot a doe in the horse pasture behind the house in December. I'll be able to skid that back with the ATV.

Go take a walk through your local Hospital, especially the children's ward, it will bring you out of your depression, & make you feel lucky your septic is the least of problems you could have!!!

I went through thr same thing two years ago. The day I was leaving for Coloardo for a elk hunt (tags in hand) my mother who lives with me slipped and broke her hip. The she tried to get up and fell again and broke her elbow. That put a stop to every thing and a change of direction of my priorties. Coloardo would not refund the money for my tags so I just sucked it up. Take care of the family first! When I was in the Navy, the job came first and the family second. Now since I'm retired the family is first.
Rhino55gun)

Must be some thing in the air. My wife is Just got a bone marrow transplant 2 weeks ago and is still in Seattle at least till mid December or First part of January. No matter what Murphy brings are way we all shall prevail and kick Murphy through the uprights and recover from this BS. One way or the other. If it wasn't for good friends and family I can honestly say would have pulled my hair out by now. To all that are fighting with Murphy don't give up charge forward and keep in mind what is most In IMPORTANT. Have a good evening to all

Last year my roof needed replacing $7000 . My fridge needed replacing $2000 for a piece of **** Samsung and it died 1 month after the warranty ran out from a known manufacturing fault and they would not replace it even though they replaced fridges with the exact same fault sold a few months after mine . New fridge another $2500 .
Then my 4x4 over heated and cracked the block $500 later I am told it will not last long so I had to sell it cheap to get rid of it at a loss of about $3000 in value as after the other expenses I can't afford a new motor anyway.
Fuel , Electricity , Land rates and food prices are increasing so much I can't even see that I will ever be able to go hunting in the foreseeable future .
Australia may well be one of the least in-debt countries and financially stable but it's people are paying for that privilege right through the neck . It is now one of the most expensive places to live .
Being a disabled war Veteran I don't have the income to recover from the constant increase in the cost of living something has to give .
Our Government is strangling us in cost increases .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.