I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocked)

Re: I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocke

Thanks for the ABS barrel cost information.

I hadn't given the caliber/cartridge much thought yet, since I still have to burn out the throat in the 25 RUM. I'm just mentally planning ahead and your solution sounds like a pretty good option when my time comes to re-barrel.

I currently have a 338 Edge. But I might do another 338 Edge, depending on how my current rifle shoots. It would be nice to have a lighter weight Edge (lightweight ABS barrel) for my typical backpack hunting. That is, provided it's equipped with a good muzzle brake.

Re: I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocke

Don't do it. The 7-08 is crap. Just cut a few inches off the barrel of your .308 and put on a lighter scope/mount combo and keep the faith.
You might have to dial up an inch or two more that's all.

I'm shocked, this is like finding out Elvis is Gay!

Last edited:

don't do it. The 7-08 is crap. Just cut a few inches off the barrel of your .308 and put on a lighter scope/mount combo and keep the faith.
You might have to dial up an inch or to more that's all.

You don't like the 7mm, or the 7-08? If the latter, what 7 do you like?

Steve

You don't like the 7mm, or the 7-08? If the latter, what 7 do you like?

Steve

I knew someone would bite! Didn't think it would be so quick!:D
I love the 7-08 just kidding with Mike. Wish him well with his new rifle.

Mike.....How about a carbon wrapped .308 barrel. If you are a .308 man it should be the obvious answer to your problem.

I'm shocked...this is like finding out GMH is made is China.

Last edited:

Nothing like going fishing and having the fish jump in the boat.

Steve

I knew someone would bite! Didn't think it would be so quick!:D
I love the 7-08 just kidding with Mike. Wish him well with his new rifle.

Mike.....How about a carbon wrapped .308 barrel. If you are a .308 man it should be the obvious answer to your problem.

I'm shocked...this is like finding out GMH is made is China.

Well, when I burn the crap out of the 708, Mike D can have the barrel bored out to the 308. So I am thinking of this as a long term investmnent!:D

Thanks for the ABS barrel cost information.

I hadn't given the caliber/cartridge much thought yet, since I still have to burn out the throat in the 25 RUM. I'm just mentally planning ahead and your solution sounds like a pretty good option when my time comes to re-barrel.

I currently have a 338 Edge. But I might do another 338 Edge, depending on how my current rifle shoots. It would be nice to have a lighter weight Edge (lightweight ABS barrel) for my typical backpack hunting. That is, provided it's equipped with a good muzzle brake.

Below is a picture of my ABS 338 Edge. It was originally a 300 RUM. ABS had the barrel bored out to 338. Mike D. offered me a new barrel but I had him bore it first and if it didnt shoot good then he could send me a new one. I tried this method first because the rockwell test was perfect and I was VERY happy with the chamber. It shoots more than acceptably yet not as good as I would like. Of course I would like 1/4 MOA. At least not with the 300 SMK. The 300 SCENAR will shoot around 1/4 MOA but with the 300 SMK it will only do about .5 - .6 which is not bad. The good news is that it will shoot that at every session even at 750 yards which is as far as I have shot it. I am hoping to get out to 800-1K in the next couple of months.

The total rifle weight without any scope bases is 8 pounds 7OZ. Which for a 'light weight' rifle isnt so light but for a 338 Edge it is extremely light. Espescialy with a 28" barrel, muzzle break and a very large barrel profile such as the M24 profile. Using my Mark 4 on it keeps the weight down on the finished product. All in all I am very happy with it. I used to bore scope it regularly but I have not since about 120 rounds. It looked so good I quit making trips to the local smith to scope it. The recoil is managable but no where near as light as a heavy Edge. I made the mistake of shooting it once without it and it is fairly severe.

HPIM1300.JPG

HPIM1302.JPG

I am secure in my manhood. :D Besides, I have an Edge to fall back on when I am feeling REALLY manly..............

This could lead to an interesting exchange, but I'll chill so Len doesn't feel obligated to lock it down :D

Michael, I think you are making a big improvement. Keep us posted on your feelings about 708s performance on animals as related to the 308. I will be surprised if you find a noticable difference in the 708s performance on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.