I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocked)

Re: I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocke

phorwath, right on. Aluminum tube/steel rings...so obvious. Why it never dawned on me...daaah.

Re: I almost cant bring myself to say it. Turning to the darkside (you will be shocke

Awe your breaking my heart. :( I do understand though. I have been packing guns that weigh in excess of 12 lbs all my life. The first decent rifle I ever bought was a varmint .25-06 with a Fajun thumbhole stock with a Weaver 8X on it. Weighed a ton but I stuck with it and packed it everywhere. It shot so well that all the guns I bought since then (42 years) have been a Varmint configuration except for some investment guns I have picked up here and there that I never have shot. Since I joined this board I have bought a .300 RUM and a .308Win to go with my latest .25-06AI and all those guns have been in excess of 13 lbs. Shoot fantastic mostly in part due to their weight. At 61 I packed that heavy a$$ed .25-06AI over 8 miles a day Antelope hunting. And it was work but with a 10.5 lb gun with a 6.5X20X40 Leupold and a Harris Bi-Pod and sling it got to be just a bit heavy. My .308 is even heavier. :(
So to wind this up, a week ago I bought a Rem 700 SPS .308 Win first off because it was way lighter than anything I have and will make a fantastic walking gun. And secondly because it was in .308 Win and I have a ton of brass for it. Mostly once fired LC brass. And lastly because it was too cheap to pass up. But this next year if I have to do a bunch of walking again for Antelope hunting I can guarantee you one thing. I will be a lot less sore at the end of the day. :)
Just so you know though, I do like the 7MM-08 :)

I like one-piece aluminum bases because they notably reduce weight. I know how to calculate the differences in expansion between steel and aluminum over the approximately 5 inch spacing between the forward-most scope base screw and rearward-most base screw (which is the effective distance the two dissimilar metals would bind over), however I have never done it. I just don't expect the difference in the rate of expansion over this 5 inch distance would cause problems.

The part that's always bothered me about the concern that aluminum bases would cause a problem on a steel receiver, is that the scope tubes are also aluminum. So even if we use a steel one-piece base on a steel receiver, we're connecting them to an aluminum tubed scope that will contract and expand at a different rate than the steel receiver and steel scope base. So the same concern would apply - that the differential expansion & contraction of the scope tube versus the steel base could cause some type of problem. Yet Aluminum scopes are the norm, and Steel receivers are the norm.

So I don't personally give it any further thought. I do go with one-piece aluminum bases to get 4 scope base screws holding a single scope base, rather than two scope base screws holding two different scope bases. Four screws holding one base over a length of 5 inches is simply a more rugged mechanical connection, less apt to shift position during the thumps and bumps of the hunt.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

I appreciate you thoughts on that subject. A few months ago when I was working out the bugs on my mounting system, the thought about tubes being Aluminum had crossed my mind, which led to some confusion simply due to the fact that steel actions and aluminum scopes together have had a solid track record. My thought was that it may have been due to a 30mm tube being alot more ridged than a base. Maybe I am way off base there.

I had been using two piece bases this past summer during the sheep season to save weight but kept having major accuracy and consistency problems. A couple of weeks before my coues hunt I decided to 'trouble shoot' the rifle because it would shoot so good for a while and then I would strip it down for cleanings and re-assemble it only to find that the POI would move a couple of minutes and the groups would open up from .3-.4 MOA to 2+ MOA. When it was shooting good, I took it to the range and fired several groups. I took the stock off and reinstalled it. Shot another group into the same group with the same accuracy. I took the scope off and reinstalled it and shot another group. It was several minutes away from the prior group and 3-4 times the size. That is when I bought a 1 piece NF base (only good 1 piece base available locally) and bedded it to the action. The problem was imediately solved. Then I had contemplated getting an aluminum 1 piece to save the weight but was skeptical. If you have had success with them then I am willing to try them.

Thanks again for your input.

NO NO NO you are my 308 HERO, oh no what has happned to the world?

you held out longer than me.

LOL!!

Sorry boss.

Dont worry too much. I will still always be the 308's biggest fan and advocate. I will still always own some and use them extensively. I am not willing to over use my 708 barrel due to it's cost so going to the range to just blow powder or participate in some sort of experiment will always be reserved for my 308's. They will also still be my goto rifles. The 338 Edge will take care of the long range moose, elk and big bears. My 308 running the 200 SGK will be the back up for those critters and my goto for black bears, large mule deer and probably mountain goats and the like. I will also continue to use the 308 for almost all of my target practice and for the few matches that I do. The 708 will be dedicated to sheep and coues deer and maybe antelope. My only gripe with the 708 is, like the 308 it lacks some horse power. The benefit the 308 has is the larger bullets available to make up for some of it. For the 308 I still have good options to be a good back up choice for even up to moose. It seems like all of the really stout 7mm bullets dont have the BC's I would like and the minimum velocity for expansion required is too high for the Bergers, ACCUBONDS and TTSX's to be usefull at 800+ yards in this caliber. The SGK's have an awesome velocity/expansion ratio but the 284 SGK's BC's suck period. If I were running the 7WSM or RM it wouldnt be an issue due to the much higher velocities. I could utilize those heavy bullets with high BC's and really extend the range even with the 1800 FPS minimum. Now for sheep and deer it is another story. The 162 AMAX with it's really high BC and low velocity for expansion qualities is the cream of the crop. I just wouldnt trust that bullet for elk or moose albiet for medium ranges the 160 ACCUBOND would work just fine for either.

If it works out the way I hope it does, I may get another Hart in 284 and chamber it for 708 or 284 win and use that for a 600-1000 yard F-Class rifle other wise I will stick to what I know the best. Heck it has worked for me so far!

1: BBL life.

2: My 308 will be the platform for the new barrel. It will be set up as a switch barrel gun. I dont want multiple bolts.

3: I hate recoil. Yes I have an Edge but I hate shooting it. I only shoot it when I have to.

While I will easily concede to the WSM's superior ballistics, I just have a soft spot for medium calibers.

Enjoy your 7-08 and keep us posted. If you feed it RL17 it will probably make you happy. :)

140 berger for coues?? or a 120 or 140 baltip??

140 berger for coues?? or a 120 or 140 baltip??

None other than the 162 AMAX. The Ballistic tips dont make any sense to me. I can run the 30 cal 168 BT as fast as the 284 cal 150 BT with near identical BC's for a bigger hole and more energy. The 162 AMAX however over the long haul really is impressive. It will beat both of my 168 AMAX and 178 AMAX loads in the windage department at every range. Hence my move to the 7mm for sheep and coues.

If I do end up with a Berger, it will be the 168.

Last edited:

Michael did you consider the .284 WIN as opposed to the 7-08?

More horse power, same bolt face. With the 180 Berger you have a great BC to fight the wind and still have ~1000 ft-lbs energy at 1000 yds ...

May need to lengthen the REM700 SA mag box though ...

Michael did you consider the .284 WIN as opposed to the 7-08?

More horse power, same bolt face. With the 180 Berger you have a great BC to fight the wind and still have ~1000 ft-lbs energy at 1000 yds ...

May need to lengthen the REM700 SA mag box though ...

I have concidered the 284 win. I cant say I have decided for 100% that I will not go that route. I need to do some research on 284 Win barrel life. I know the 6.5x284 is a real throat cooker. If I feel the 284 win can offer me a solid 2500+ solid consistent rounds, I will bite. Other wise, it will be the 7mm08. Even then I will be running the 162 AMAX. The 168 and the 180 VLD's just cant be launched fast enough out of either case to make 1800 FPS at 1K. The 162 will expand reliably well below 1800 FPS which is why I am so interested in it. If my barrel just wont tollerate them, the I will cross that bridge later.

Most likely will happen IF this barrel does not like the 162 AMAX, I will have it punched out to 284 and take my chances with the 168 and 180 Bergers.

I have a Wyatt's box mag already.

Last edited:

The guys on 6mmbr.com were saying good things about .284 WIN barrel life.

Good luck with your new project!

Last edited:

Michael,
I thought you were going to say you set up another 300 Ultramag! Just kidding!
The 7mm-08 ought to do the trick for you for the critters you will be using it on. Plenty of horsepower and better wind drift than the 308. I'm looking forward to hearing how the ABS barrel breaks in and load development.

Michael,

What's the approximate cost for an ABS barrel these days?

I have a similar situation. A large diameter barrel in a Sendero stock chambered in 25 RUM. When that throat burns out - it shouldn't take too long - I may want to follow in your footsteps. I mean with respect to purchasing a lightweight, yet heavy diameter ABS barrel when it comes time to re-barrel.

Michael,

What's the approximate cost for an ABS barrel these days?

I have a similar situation. A large diameter barrel in a Sendero stock chambered in 25 RUM. When that throat burns out - it shouldn't take too long - I may want to follow in your footsteps. I mean with respect to purchasing a lightweight, yet heavy diameter ABS barrel when it comes time to re-barrel.

About 900 for a blank. He will also thread the end and install a brake for 100 bucks which IMHO is a deal.

What caliber would you have it in?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.