I’m gonna try to hunt Racoons!

I don't eat anything a dog won't eat and a dog won't eat anything on a coon except it's tail and the bone in it. Needless to say, I don't eat the tailbone either.

Well, I tried the Fox Pro a few times on a couple of Den trees I found. I know they are occupied because I got the little bastages to look out the window but they would not come out on the porch. I think I blew it with the timing this year, as I have read that Coons "rut" in February and are not surprisingly, much more reactive to calls during this time. Our season ends on 3/14 so I'll try one more time and then shift my focus back to the Woodchucks chuckin' my wood!
From what I have read about calling them you have to be behind the tree with caller to make them come out and look around the tree. Also moving attracter catches their eye and makes them look longer.

From what I have read about calling them you have to be behind the tree with caller to make them come out and look around the tree. Also moving attracter catches their eye and makes them look longer.
Whole different story during the night. during the day you call and sometimes the raccoons just peek out like "why are you waking me up?" But during the night when you call with the exact same call they come looking for supper.

.22Lr will do you fine for coon's and any hollow points will do the trick. Now they are tough and you better make sure they are dead before you pick em up else they will eat your lunch fast. I spent a lot of time running Walker's and blue ticks on them at night very successful. Your best bet is first light and last light of the day to catch them out they are a night creature. Controlling the population will increase your Turkey and bird populations case they eat a lot of eggs and hatchlings. If you plant corn in the garden or field they will strip it bear over night when its ripe. And they love your chickens more than you do. Marshmallows are a favorite for them in traps the sweet and white color is irresistible to them. Be learry of the ones walking around in the day time old saying goes they have rabies or something is wrong with them. Dont know for sure just all the old timers say this. Come out to Arkansas and we could run the hounds one night now that's fun.
Yes sir grew up coon hunting with hounds. Lived and grew up in central Mississippi. Dad went 3/4 nights a week I went every chance i got. Great fun. Young ones eat really well. Fried of course!!!!

.22Lr will do you fine for coon's and any hollow points will do the trick. Now they are tough and you better make sure they are dead before you pick em up else they will eat your lunch fast. I spent a lot of time running Walker's and blue ticks on them at night very successful. Your best bet is first light and last light of the day to catch them out they are a night creature. Controlling the population will increase your Turkey and bird populations case they eat a lot of eggs and hatchlings. If you plant corn in the garden or field they will strip it bear over night when its ripe. And they love your chickens more than you do. Marshmallows are a favorite for them in traps the sweet and white color is irresistible to them. Be learry of the ones walking around in the day time old saying goes they have rabies or something is wrong with them. Dont know for sure just all the old timers say this. Come out to Arkansas and we could run the hounds one night now that's fun.
Yes sir grew up coon hunting with hounds. Lived and grew up in central Mississippi. Dad went 3/4 nights a week I went every chance i got. Great fun. Young ones eat really well. Fried of course!!!!

I caught several in a cage baited with whole kernal corn from a can. First one hit the cage so hard that all the metal clips had to be pried back. And I had to add zip ties. Second raccoon tore up the trip pad.

Also I was told to release them several miles from the house. That was about the most stupid thing I ever did. I was way too close. They are very fast and not in the best of moods. Don't do that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.