Hyper velocity rifle?

Nate is a great smith,& a great person ,I'd just tell him what you want , He's a shooter , hunter them are Great plus points in any Gunsmith !!! He built me a Great rifle also thks ! Gd luck !!

I plan on Nate doing my build. Just figured id try and come to him with a solid plan he could fine tune. His work is phenomenal and he lives like 3hrs from me. The 284 jazz is his creation so its only fitting he do the build.

I've got a 6-06AI in progress too. It's a 30in 7.5 twist hoping for 103-107s close to 4k. Just looking for a bit more bullet. My 6.5x300wby will be a 28in 8 twist for 140 class bullets. I just think 100ish grains pushing a 120gr 7mm would be crazy flat and hit crazy hard. I think I'm up to 45 different calibers from 17hmr to 50bmg. I've got most everything covered. Kinda looking for special unique calibers that fill the voids. I live in western ND. So open and flat is what I shoot. If I lived in Alaska or some heavy mtn area 358 and the bigger bores would suit me better. I'm looking to pick on antelope and deer. Barrel life doesn't really matter to me. If I only get 5-700 rounds out of it that's fine. It's a hobby. I enjoy spending money on the sport. 5-700 rounds will probably last me 15-20 years with it. A minor expense for a new barrel in that duration. From what I read a 300 norma case will easily fit in a 700 LA. Case capacity is just over 100gr. Simple to neck down. Quality brass. Seems fairly simple. I just don't have experience pushing light for caliber bullets fast. Wondering what has and hasn't worked for people.

Just do a 28 Nosler...very close in capacity and won't need the bolt face opened up, factory brass and ammo, cheaper dies too.

As mentioned, my self and others that have been down this road found that the limiting factor is normally the bullet. you can always neck down a 378 to 22 cal but again the bullets are the problem.

My experiment was with a 223 WSSM and my goal was anything over 4600 ft/sec. 4400 was easy to reach but the bullets were coming apart,
and by the time I reached 4600 ft/sec, I was down to one bullet that shot well. All others including mono metal bullets lost all accuracy around 4200. my barrel had a 1 in 15 twist and after analyzing the problems the jacketed bullets were shedding the jackets and the mono metal bullets were not stable because of poor engraving.

I also tried a 7/STW with a 31'' barrel and everything including accuracy was good until i pushed the 140 grain bullets over 3700 ft/sec. I thought I might be able to push on past that and did manage to reach almost 3900 ft/sec velocity but accuracy only got worse.

After talking to many bullet makers and many good re loaders, the consensus was almost unanimous, the bullets had exceeded their
design limits. and because bigger heaver bullets are designed for lower velocities they cant go as fast as smaller bullets designed for higher velocities. inertia causes the jacket to separate from the core
quicker in the heavier the bullet (More mass to rotate).

Mono metal bullets might solve the problem but only if the right twist was found, but that would require many barrel changes.

What I learned from all of this and per the advice of every bullet maker i spoke with was it was best not to exceed the bullets designed velocity by more than 2 or 300 ft/sec.

There is no laser flat projectile, that doesn't have any drop so looking for it is futile.

Save your self a lot of time and trouble and just build something that will do what you want.

Bin there and done that !!!!

J E CUSTOM

I would go 300rum and push the 110 barnes tac-x or 130ttsx. That 110 from a slow twist barrel should hold together. A 12 twist barrel would leave some versatlity.

I had my STW back in the day shooting 120's at 3720 out of a 26" hunting rifle. I built a 300 ultra improved that I never shot, but sold it to a fellow out west that was shooting 110's at 4100

I saw this video and thought it was interesting because I reached 4600 with jacketed bullets but couldn't get the mono metal to shoot accurately enough. Don't know what the twist rate was, but they must have figured it out.

Oh Well

J E CUSTOM

I saw this video and thought it was interesting because I reached 4600 with jacketed bullets but couldn't get the mono metal to shoot accurately enough. Don't know what the twist rate was, but they must have figured it out.

Oh Well

J E CUSTOM

I have some of their ammo in other cartridges...good stuff. Too bad they aren't in business anymore.

There was a time that lazzaroni made a Warbird offering with the 130 gr Nickel/Teflon X bullets IIRC were going 4000 fps or so. The intent was a rifle that have a useful hunting trajectory out to 500 yds. The lightest laserhead bullet offering is now 150 at a "sluggish" 3770 fps.

I once tried some 150 Nosler E tips and RL-25 in a 300 RUM. Not saying it was consistent or super accurate but got up to 3800 fps from 27" 1 in 12 twist barrel.

Always wanted to try the 120 nosler bt from a 7 RUM but never got around to it. Lazzeroni 7mm firebird can get 3900 fps with a 120.

Only have one rifle that can go over 4000 fps, a 6mm-284, 24" barrel shooting 55 gr nosler ballistic tips @ 4100 fps accurately (319,145 rpm). Got up to 4200 fps but accuracy suffered.

Mudygmc if you get your 30" 6mm-06AI to shoot at 4000 fps, please share your findings. Would like to hear what 6mm 103-107 gr bullet can withstand the 384,000 RPMs.

Bullet RPM = MV X 720/Twist Rate (in inches)

We have loaded the 28n at 3700 fps with our 131g Hammer Hunter. Have a customer that is running or 152g Hammer Hunter in his 300 rum at some place close to 3800. If I remember correctly.

Let us know if we can help.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.