HXP Brass for reloading

Carman

I just got an M1 Garand and I am looking for surplus ammo that I can reload. I found some Greek HXP M2 Ball ammo for a very reasonable price, but the seller says that it is magnetic. I would appreciate any insight about this ammo with regards to whether it is reloadable.

i have reloaded it for my garands. i feel it is pretty good. never weighed them or anything though.

Carman,

The best brass you can get for reloading a Garand is original Lake City 30-06 military surplus stuff. This is often availble from the CMP at pretty reasonable prices. The absolute best stuff is LC Match brass, since you don't need to fiddle with the primer pockets. This, however, has become fairly rare.

I'd avoid the Greek surplus stuff like the plague. The CMP issued this stuff at the Nationals for the Garand and Springfield Matches a couple years ago and we had no end of problems. Very high pressure signs in the M1903s, extraction problems, and as I recall, broke a few extractors on the M1s. I doubt that this was the same production as the lot you're looking at now, since I'm pretty sure that stuff used brass cases, but it's something to be aware of. I'd also be concerned with the possibility of corrosive primers (depending on when this stuff was made), and have no idea when Greece made the switch from corrosive to non-corrosive priming.

Even good commercial brass is a great value compared to what headaches you're dabbling with by using steel cases. They weren't meant for reloading, lack the proper characteristics that makes brass the metal of choice for cartridge cases. They were nothing but a low cost war-time expediant for brass, and should be relegated to cartridge collections for their historical interest.

HXP is fine. I've shot several hundreds rounds of it both just having fun at the range and in CMP comps with my Garands. Never had an issue. The only issue you'll run into reloading it is that the primers are crimped in so you need to swag the pockets if you get a really bad one. Most of the time you won't have any trouble though.

The "magnetic" thing is just saying that the bullet attracts a magnet. In some places this type of ammo is not allowed.

Watch what powders you use in reloading for the Garands. There are usually separate reloading suggestions for them outside of what you will see for regular 30.06. The gas system is somewhat sensitive to the pressure curve of the powder used. The wrong charge or wrong powder can cause damage sometimes. You really don't want to bend your op-rod. Good luck and enjoy that M1. They are a really fun weapon.

I have read about everything there is to read regarding reloading for the Garand. Mine shoots the surplus ammo very well. Yesterday, I was knocking down bowling pins at 200 yards pretty consistently, and even knocked some down at 300 yards. Bowling pins are darn small at 300 yards so I am certain the misses were my aim and not the gun. The old surplus ammo shoots well. I put every shot on a 6 inch target from 100 yards but they were scattered all over. I am sure once I reload, they will tighten up and be as good as someone my age with my eyesight can shoot. I am going to load with 150 grain FMJ's and some 150 grain BTHP's with 47 grains of IMR 4895. I got some match grade Lake City brass that I am going to bump up to 48 grains and try as well. I just got in some surplus ammo that the seller advertised as HXP but when I opened it, it was Lake City 57, so I have plenty of Lake City brass to work with. Thanks for everyone's input.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts