Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with paphil. Just a brief note about myself....I'm 63 and 1 1/2yrs ago I got back into percision shooting after 30+yrs. Out of highschool I went into the Air Force and was a combat crew member on a Titan II launce crew, nuke ICBM. There I shoot M1Grands for the base rifle team and also got really involved in bench shooting and reloading...I also was very much starting to learn photography and thru a marriage the art of pottery. To make a long story short there was a divorce. So after 10 1/2 yrs I left the Air Force and became a Potter and Photographer, which I gave up and took a corp. job when I started a new famaily.

I have shot many cameras 4X5, 2 1/4X2 1/4, 2 1/4X2 3/4, and 35mm..German and Japanese glass... Hassablad, Nikon and Canon. They all have ther place and in the right hands produce excellent products. Today digital Hassablads, German glass, are used in the large studios to produce billboard size images because of thier larger format. The Nikons and Canon, Japanese glass, rein as the best sports cameras/lens out there because for thier small size and quick shutter speeds. So, which is better German Or Japanese glass...neither...they both have thier place.

When I got back into percsion shooting 1 1/2yrs ago I knew , if I wanted good results with a long range gun that I'd have to get back into reloading to get constant results. I was on a budget and could not build the gun I wanted so I found a Savage FLCP-K, I'm a leftey and it was priced right, that looked like a good platform. I bought a Wotac scope because of price again. Then I started buying reloading equip thru Ebay, got great prices on a Rockchucker and Redding 308 Comp. dies and started. The Wotac track great and keeped it's POA and slowly my groups came down with each load test. But I wanted for more than 14pwr and sold one of my prime Nikon lens and the Wotac and got a Nightforce 8-32 NXS/NP-2DD. Why did I deside on it? After going to the range and lucky enough to have guys let me shoot thier guns with S&B's, Leupold, IOR, Solvarski, and Nightforce...the nightforce reminded me of the only camera I've keeped for 35yrs..a Nikon FTN Vienam erea 35mm..still works today great. Now, not tring to sell Nightforce, but letting you know why I chose it over the others, they are all great scopes and do thier job..just see me hanging on to this one like my old Nikon.

With all that said...It's my opion to buy good basic equip to learn the sport that will last a long time. Learn your media be it Photography or Shooting it doesn't come over night. There are too many people that spend alot of money on both thinking the latest gadget will make them a professional photographer or a great shooter..just does not happen with equipment alone. Stay away of gimmicks and spend the time to learn the old way...unless your just a die hard consumer and think someone is going to sell you something you don't have to work at to be good.

Shoot and shoot more and spend the time to understand what you're doing right and wrong.

Just my thoughts. (Since everyone else here has expressed them)

Gregg

I don't think that is accurate. And even if they do, they aren't even close to the quality of a custom barrel.

I like Savages, but I have never had a stock one shoot better than the 4s. I own a few. It is very, very unlikely. THat is still a helluva rifle though for hunting purposes.

I will maintain that .25 MOA in a stock rifle is rare beyond rare. Sure it is possible, but combined with you claims on the Husky compared to NF, I take it as hyperbole.

I would love to see pics, but even those can be faked. Just to give you an idea, the M40A3 isn't even made to meet .25 MOA at 100 yards.

"Suspicion always huants the guilty mind" : William Shakespeare

Tikamike

The Huskemaw scope weighs much less than a Nightforce. Somewhere between 6 and 8 ounces less than a Nightforce.

Never said they were the same weight only that they are very heavy.

Also there is nothing magical and there is no hidden secret about engraving turrets. It is simply mathamatical. Make sure your clicks are true if they arent input the actual click value along with your proven drops and all the other pertinant information. so the accuracy of your turret will depend on the accuracy of your data.

If you like the higher power buy a higher power scope, get what you like. I like functionality. I don't want to have to buy higher rings or extended bases or change over to a rail accommodate what was obviously a design flaw on huskemaws part. Unless someone can tell me there is a good reason for that stubby little tube huskemaw uses??

"Suspicion always huants the guilty mind" : William Shakespeare

Same guy said 'one who has been burned is ever vigilant in his watch for fire'

But maybe what would be more fitting:

'when something sounds too good to be true, it ain't'

Aldo "the Apache" Raines
Lt., USA

See when you use a quote, it has to apply, and it is a bonus if it is funny. Yours is neither. Keep trying though. :D

Tikkamike,

It is funny how your Rem 700 LA won't fit the Huskemaw with Med. Talley rings when there has been hundreds mounted that fit the exact rifle action.

Tikkamike,

It is funny how your Rem 700 LA won't fit the Huskemaw with Med. Talley rings when there has been hundreds mounted that fit the exact rifle action.

Hey genius, nobody ever said it didn't fit. Just said that achieving proper eye relief for myself or my buddy was impossible with Talley rings. If your just going to make stuff up your going to be made to look like a fool.

Tikkamike,

Of the hundreds mounted I have 2 of them on LA Rem actions with med Talley rings. Guy that got me started on Huskemaw has 3 of them on LA Rem with talley rings. I've shot 'em all out to 800-1000 yds. and have about 30+ kills and have never had a problem. But then I'm built funny - 6'1" and 195 lbs. and we pretty much try to use stocks that fit us and allow for proper eye relief.

If this long drawn out thread wasn't so funny and completely ridiculous at times I'd think I was over on The Hide forum.

If these incredibly fuzzy optic misfitting Huskemaw's were as bad as someone is trying to make them out I sure have been lucky to have shot the only 5 scopes that they got right.

PS: I won't knock anyone's Ford or Chevy if you'll lay off my Dodge. When you're in someone's living room that sells Huskemaw it might be proper manners to not say anything if you don't have anything nice to say. Now what else is wrong with these scopes that I have converted to???? Carry on - Keyboard Commando, I'll check in every so often for a new laugh.

Last edited:
Dont know much about H or NF scopes, shoot with VX III, CDS dial and have killed speedgoats out to 700 yards on my Hill CO rifle. Good enough for me.

I love Davis's new show and would love to try one of their scopes, the show seems much better than BOTW.

Far as savage I have an old beat up savage 110 270 that is .25 all day long, dont care is someone doesnt believe me, I and about 60 guys at the club are amazed that and old gun with black plastic stock and no blueing left still shoots so well...........but even more than that is my Savage accustock, accutrigger in 22-250, Model 10 Predator with Hornady Superformance GMX is a one hole gun, I mean ONE hole, cut the .25 in half..............at 200 yards it opened up to .30.......Lucky with the gun probably but never owned a savage that shot over 1" and in comparison to my MG arms customs (3), Hill CO rifles (2) and my cooper they are the best bang for the buck. Pardon the pun:D

Dont know much about H or NF scopes, shoot with VX III, CDS dial and have killed speedgoats out to 700 yards on my Hill CO rifle. Good enough for me.

I love Davis's new show and would love to try one of their scopes, the show seems much better than BOTW.

Far as savage I have an old beat up savage 110 270 that is .25 all day long, dont care is someone doesnt believe me, I and about 60 guys at the club are amazed that and old gun with black plastic stock and no blueing left still shoots so well...........but even more than that is my Savage accustock, accutrigger in 22-250, Model 10 Predator with Hornady Superformance GMX is a one hole gun, I mean ONE hole, cut the .25 in half..............at 200 yards it opened up to .30.......Lucky with the gun probably but never owned a savage that shot over 1" and in comparison to my MG arms customs (3), Hill CO rifles (2) and my cooper they are the best bang for the buck. Pardon the pun:D

I also have a Savage Predator in 22-250 that I use for coyotes. Same kind of performance with Hornady V-MAX. Really like the rifle!

Art
you are right, Hornaday didnt impress me much ten years ago but I am now getting crazy performance from their stuff. I bought my wife a stock Marlin X7 Youth 243 since she wanted to start hunting deer and antelope with me and we chose the SST 95gr and it is half inch gun all day long.

I just wanted to let everyone Know I recently bought a Huskemaw scope second one I have owned first one I have actually mounted and tried to use and its junk, the thing doesnt track AT ALL. I know for certain its not my mounts because after taking everything apart and re torquing it still did it, so I tried it on another rifle and same thing... How am I supposed to give huskemaw a sporting chance if the thing is the first and only scope I have ever had fail??

Cant understand your first sentence, must be after 5:00.

Did you buy one that didnt work and you bought a second one?

Just send it/them back and tell them you want them replaced with ones that work.

Nope.. just what it says.. I have owned 2 but This is the only one I have mounted and tried to use. (The first one I sold before trying out) Do they have no quality control? New out of the box should function at least initially...

With that kind of experience I suspect you will never be able to have confidence in the the product. I sure wouldn't. I believe i went on this thread a few months ago when i bought my first Huskemaw and since then have really put it through the paces. I have been impressed with the performane and just bought another. I own three Nightforces and over a dozen Leopolds. I haven't used the scopes long enough to have the same confidence as I do with my Leupolds an NF's. but time will tell. So far I really like the scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts