Huskemaw vs. Vortex Viper PST

I have been waiting for a good while for notification from supplier that they have the PST's in stock.....

Bird in the hand and all that may come into play for you.

The PST. Vortex is going after the scope market with a vengance . They don't wait for
a customer to be po'd to take care of them. My last scope was a viper in a 3x9 and I am
impressed with how good it is for a sub 300.00 scope.

I have one PST and another on the way. I like to hold over with the reticle occasionally and hold wind nearly all the time, so FFP allowing me to do that at any power is a big deal to me.

The reticles in the PSTs are outstanding and the illumination is very good. An amazing amount of features for scopes at this price level.

Jon, i've tested my viper 6-20 for verticle tracking and it moves the POI 23" when i crank it 20 moa. it should move it about 21". i'm sending it back per their request. i'd love to hear from someone with a PST that it moves the POI the amount it should. did you test your scope moving it at least 20moa to see if it tracks the distance it should?

Yes, I tested it quite extensively: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions - Sniper's Hide Forums .

There were some disappointments but the new batch should have those cleaned up. Keep in mind, when you test scopes to that degree you'll find some amount of error to some degree in nearly any scope. That's why I advocate everybody test their scopes no matter what brand name is on the side. Many companies will just tell you it's within spec, but Vortex is going the extra mile.

Honestly it sounds like Vortex is a heck of a company. Can't wait to get my hands on one. I was looking at them and a Vx3, I think i am gonna give them (vortex) a try.

So far everyone seems to like the Viper PST. I haven't heard any real world experience from anyone who has sat behind both?

Also, any input on which has better glass?

I have never looked through a Vortex scope so I can't give you a comparison per say, but I do own and use a Huskemaw and as I can afford it the Huskemaw will be the only scope sitting atop my long rang hunting guns! I have always been a leupold man, but after looking through and then buying a Huskemaw, no more Leupolds! Crystal clear glass,100% tracking, good warranty, and this scope was designed and built for long range hunting . May be a little more money than a Vortex but the old saying you get what you pay for holds true usually. Good luck.

Yes, I tested it quite extensively: Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions - Sniper's Hide Forums .

There were some disappointments but the new batch should have those cleaned up. Keep in mind, when you test scopes to that degree you'll find some amount of error to some degree in nearly any scope. That's why I advocate everybody test their scopes no matter what brand name is on the side. Many companies will just tell you it's within spec, but Vortex is going the extra mile.

I read your review on the hide, one thing I would like to know is how do you test the scopes tracking ability?? if you are testing the scope mounted the canting error could be a mounting issue.

Still not sold on either. Though from reviews, I don't think vortex is there yet, so I would go with the Huskamaw. My choice still is the VX-3 though. Can't beat Leupolds for reliability and clarity in a lighter weight hunting scope.

Still not sold on either. Though from reviews, I don't think vortex is there yet, so I would go with the Huskamaw. My choice still is the VX-3 though. Can't beat Leupolds for reliability and clarity in a lighter weight hunting scope.

What bad reviews have you seen on the Vortex PST other than the first few that came out? From what I've read, those problems have now been fixed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.