Huskamaw,Night Force,Votrex or custom Leupold??

Leupold has a good customer service and they are famous for that, mainly because if you own a leupold you are going to need their service. I have owned a lot of them,still have a few for sale. Sightron scopes have very little eye relief,got rid of mine. Nightforce are good scopes and there is no arguing that,are they worth twice what other good scopes sell for? No way. Huskemaw scope components are built in the same factory in Japan that the nightforce scope components are built. The price tag on a Huskemaw is half what a NF scope costs and the quality of the Huskemaw I would stack against a NF anyday. I have been using the Huskemaw scopes for some time now and they are the only scope I will buy again. I have no experience with the Vortex line and probably never will as I am not going to ever buy anything other than the Huskemaw again.

I personally have not used the Husky scopes but I have handled them and I found them to be a bit heavy. Same with NF, great scopes, just a tad on the chunky side.

One big issue that no-one mentions is longevity. If I drop $1000+ on a scope, I want to be able to use it for the rest of my life. I'm 44 so that means at least 40 years (I hope!) and I'll be interested to see where Huskemaw, Vortex, Sightron et al are then. No point having a lifetime warranty unless the company is around to honor the warranty.

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes and yes, I know that puts me at odds with many of the posters here but I don't get the hate. It is undeniable that with the Leupold custom shop, you can get a scope built the way YOU want it, with more options than any of the others mentioned in this review. Leupold is a US company (I know they source optical glass from around the globe, inc Japan and some of their binos etc are made in China) but they've never hidden that fact, unlike some other manufacturers.

If they are so terrible, how come the US military uses more Leupold scopes than any other? Many defend the Husky scopes against bad reviews, justify the comments as here say from non users and rationalize that all scope makers will 'put out a bad scope from time to time' but not accord Leupold that same respect?? Leupold has put out more scopes over the years than any other manufacturer so it stands to reason they have more chance of having a few scopes go bad.

A very good friend of mine has tried to kill several Leupold scopes and succeeded using a .454 Casull handgun and a .50BMG. The pistol scope was sent back 3 times after the pounding it took and Leupold repaired it every time. In fairness, my bud did sheer several mounts and killed a few other scopes from other makers on that hand cannon.....

With his .50, Leupold repaired it and after he got some decent mounts on his rifle, it is still holding up. Often times, scopes fail not because the scope is at fault but because some muppet decides that he'll spend $1500 on a rifle, $700 on glass and then $20 on rings at Wal Mart to mount it with. Hardly the fault of the scope in those situations.

I have no issues with NF, solid rep, been around for a decent amount of time. Longevity of other breeds, brands and varieties is questionable. If I had the funds, I'd like to use S&B, Swarovski or Zeiss but until I make another fortune, I'll stick with a reliable, well founded and honorable US company like Leupold.

I'm really happy withe the Vortex HS models I'm not a fan of just having a BDC RET. I would prefer MOA or MRAD (I'm a MRAD fan). The Vortex BDC RET works just fine.

Mike @ CST

I like my NF and my Sightron SIII. Both great glass and adjustments. I wouldn't mind looking through the new Vortex glass though. My friends warranty Vortex bino's that get dropped all the time, and they are quick.

Regardless of price point and/or perceived quality, I am not a big fan of Bullet drop compensated turrets. This is not to say that they don't work. I'm just the weird one in the room that would rather have a mil/mil set up. That being said. I am a really big fan of the Viper PST. The turrets match the illuminated reticle, I can get to 1000 yards without a canted base, its tough as nails, has a zero stop, and cost under $1000.00. The zero stop really isn't necessary but it is a nice feature. The glass quality isn't on par with Nightforce or S&B but neither is the price. It isn't far behind, and is good enough to put a bullet in the boiler room from the 1000 yard line. When my skills get to the point that I can RELIABLY take a 1000 yard shot at a game animal I would have full confidence with Viper PST.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.