Huskamaw,Night Force,Votrex or custom Leupold??

Dust270WSM

Wantin upgrade grade to a custom scope for my 7mmMag rifle. Which one would u
Peeps go with??

Going to hunt white tails with it. Also going to shoot steel at long ranges to though.

What's the most you're willing to spend for your glass, $1000, $2000, $3000? How good a scope do you really need. Buy the best you can afford that will fill your needs..

Owned and used all mentioned except the Vortex. I'm partial to and have replaced the scopes on my LR rigs with Huskemaws. I'm mostly a whitetail hunter. The big guys don't give you much time at any range. For me personally, the Huskemaw system is very fast,has optics as good as my Nightforce, and turret adjustments that are dead on every time. Taken eight whitetails between 600 and 1000 yards with my Savage and Cooper rigs. Took a fall a couple of weeks ago that the impact on the objective bell hit so hard it bent the scope mount screws at the receiver junction causing my impact point to be over 5 feet to the right at 100 yards. Replaced the mounts and found the scope to be perfectly straight and still work perfectly. Note: the mounts were one piece medium Tally's.

Another one to check into is the Sightron SIII. They have fantastic glass and the adjustments are spot on. For the price ($700-900 depending on the model) , they are about as good as you can get from a SFP scope.

For the Quality the Nightforce for the price the Vortex PST for an in-between the Leupold.

Mike @ CST

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been shooting a vortex viper HS 4-16x50(<$500) on my custom 7mm since last summer, side by side with my friends identical custom 7mm, his is topped with NXS.

I have never felt he had any advantage over me

Shooting out to 1300 dialing MOA up from ballistic calculator and using the reticle for wind hold which is fast and easy to adjust as the wind gusts and fluctuates
( vortex reticle is the dead hold, nxs is np-1 I believe)

Glass quality is no different to my eyes

night force is 8oz heavier and I'm sure it would hold up better if you decided to use your rifle to pound in your tent stakes

Mine has rattled around in the gun rack on my ranger for hundreds of miles and has
tracked perfectly and zero has never moved

I've had a few leupolds over the years and I don't want another one. I was looking at huskemaw but the reviews scared me off . I'd buy vortex unless money was no issue and the extra weight was no issue then I'd get a nightforce

Also vortex warranty and customer service is good

I am just about through my 3rd hunting season using the Huskemaw scopes for my personal guns. I have used and still use Nightforce for about 10 years. Love both brands for the quality and durability. I have no personal experience with the Vortex rifle scopes but am on my 3rd hunting season using their Kaibab 15x56 binoculars. Sweet! -- is about all I'll say. I'd expect the rifle scopes to be very good also.

if you decided to use your rifle to pound in your tent stakes
I was looking at Huskemaw but the reviews scared me off

Apparently you CAN pound tent stakes with the Huskemaw, or at least roll over them on an ATV. See the review below, posted by "krisjblair". And never be scared again.

Maybe not as useful a function as the tent stake pounding though. But you can just bring a hammer for that. :D

REVIEW from another LRH thread by – krisjblair

"I have some experience with the Huskemaw
, durability and hunting use so thought I would share it.
Last November during a Bull Elk hunt I strapped my gun in the rack on the 4-wheeler and stared down a muddy rocky trail. Apparently I didn't get one of the straps on the rack in the notch and it popped loose.

The muzzle of my gun jumped out of the rack and hit the ground. Before I got the 4-wheeler stopped the butt came loose of the rack and I ran the gun over. I was horrified, thinking that my brand new gun and scope were ruined. The muzzle was plugged with mud, the scope caps popped open and were packed full of mud, the turret cover was smashed and there was a nick on one of the rings. After a thorough cleaning I check my zero at 100 yards and the gun was dead on. I then found a rock to shoot at 885 yard and again the gun was dead on.

I've had my Leupold loose it's zero after a much lighter fall walking through dense downfall. The scope is crystal clear, the optics are better than my Leupold VX-III, I don't have much experience with higher end rifle scopes so I can't make a comparison there. The elevation and windage adjustments have been 100% repeatable and the reticle is great, I think these two items are more important than optical clarity on a rifle scope anyways.

Everybody who looks through my scope wants one, with those owning Swarovski's saying it rivals their scopes for optics. I love it, just wish I could afford another one so I didn't have to swap it between guns."

Last edited:
I was looking at huskemaw but the reviews scared me off .

Too bad. I had read just about all of those reviews and unfortunately most of the critical ones appeared to be hot air and opinion as opposed to facts and experiences. However, you could see how that could spook some people. It's one of the few products that I have seen strike such an emotional cord with many shooters. Perhaps it was because it was one of the first scopes that was aggressviely positioned at the long range hunter, a relatively small segment of the market and very specialized. Based on my experience with three of them, they are a very solid product and meet all claims.

I own 2 Huskemaws and 1 Nightforce both are great scopes. I have bought my last Leupold. Good thing Leupold has great customer service, sooner or later you are going to need it. Vortex I have never used but looking thru them they look pretty good. I too have read most of the reveiws on the Husky's. Dont think I ever read a bad review from any one whom had ever used one thru a hunting season. Most of the bad reveiws were from someones neibor had a cousin whom talked to a guy who said-------. Oh by the way I am going on 4 years using the Husky's. Everybody likes something different Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota and so on. I am sure Nightforce has sent out a bad scope or two and if Huskymaw has not yet sooner or later one will slip by.

6-24x50mm Vortex PST FFP MOA with a custom turret calibrated to your reloads shot out of your rifle. Shoot an accurate drop chart for the turret maker. Do not trust a computer program to make the turret from.

I love mine and don't think you can get a better setup unless you are going to Afghanistan. :)

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

I forgot to mention that I have never owned any of the other scopes mentioned. I am quite sure that they would work quite well when set up like my PST is with the custom turret. I can not see how any of the others could work better than the PST IMHO.

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.