Hunting with the Lapua Scenar bullet (muzzle velocity above 3000fps)

Good report on the Scenario's terminal effects. Thanks.

I have shot a few animals with 155r Scenarios launched at 2885fps from a .308. A decent Whitetail buck, a couple of pigs and a Coyote. It was my impression that when compared with Berger Hunting VLDs, the Scenars must be a good bit harder in construction. The animals I shot with the Scenars didn't have nearly the internal trauma as those shot with the Hunting VLDs. They ran farther, and left little to no blood trail. One thing I have really enjoyed about the Scenars is they are easier to get to shoot well than just about any bullet I have tried. I think when launched at higher MVs like you did, they are probably a great option, but at .308 velocities, I prefer the Hunting VLDs.

John

Hi John

Awesome. I'm actually shooting 155gr Lapua Scenars now out of a Remington Model 700 in 308 Win with a 26" bullbarrel with 1:12" twist at around 2820fps... As a target platform it puts three shots in at a half inch at 220 yards..

I haven't taken any heads of game with it yet. But it's best, as you say, when velocity is sub3000fps, to use expanding bullets with the right form and ballistic characteristics.

I'm thinking of loading 150gr Sierra Gamekings. I load the 180gr Gameking in the 30-06 and have shot large species such as waterbuck, kudu and bluewildebeest at around 2600fps.

At around 2850fps the 150gr Sierra Gameking ought to do a pretty good job of most smaller soft-skinned antelope without overwhelming hydrostatic shock and pretty quick kills.

Too be honest I would leave target match bullets for paper punching or varmit sized game only but I have not tried the VLD hunting bullet or the A Max yet for deer. I normally use Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, and GameKings mostly for deer sized game.

This site is full of VLD end-users, mostly Berger and Matrix but I'm sure the new VLD offerings will soon follow. Like you, I started primarily with NPs, NBTs, and NABs. I'm considerably new in VLDs and A-Max but thus far I have very good success with them in my first time use.

2012 (?) - harvested an MT antelope with 178 grain A-Max at 368 yards with .300 WM
2013 - harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD with .300 WM
2014 - harvested a MT muley buck at 311 with 175 Matrix VLD with .270 AI
2015 - harvested a MT muley buck at 425 with 215 Berger with .300 WSM

For 2016, I hope to use the 230 Berger or perhaps the Hammer Bullet offerings for my new build, if it gets completed on time that is. I have another month wait for my Lilja barrel. I also have a box of Hornady 220 ELD-X to try.

Others (BROZ, Bigngreen, Elkaholic, comes to mind from a long list) have far more experience and very good successes than I do but I feel I am off to a great start IMHO. :D

Cheers!

I'm considerably new in VLDs and A-Max but thus far I have very good success with them in my first time use.

Did the Bergers leave a nice sized wound for a good blood trail? I hear some zip in and out due to low velocity at long range if I am not mistaken,,,yet, I need to try the 140 VLD in the 7 Mag this winter season on a whitetail deer for the first time. It shoots the same POI as the Accubonds but flatter at longer distance. I think us venting it out earlier got us back on track and let's keep it that way and help each other out with input. :D

Did the Bergers leave a nice sized wound for a good blood trail? I hear some zip in and out due to low velocity at long range if I am not mistaken,,,yet, I need to try the 140 VLD in the 7 Mag this winter season on a whitetail deer for the first time. It shoots the same POI as the Accubonds but flatter at longer distance. I think us venting it out earlier got us back on track and let's keep it that way and help each other out with input. :D

Agreed! No pass throughs for me yet on Bergers but the internal organs were all souped up. The 175 Matrix VLD had a less than 3" of exit wound.

Agreed! No pass throughs for me yet on Bergers but the internal organs were all souped up. The 175 Matrix VLD had a less than 3" of exit wound.

That does it, my mind is set on VLD's this winter season. I guess I'll leave my Accubonds in the ammo box this year. Thanks

That does it, my mind is set on VLD's this winter season. I guess I'll leave my Accubonds in the ammo box this year. Thanks

I would encourage you to read up on the best weights per chambering and velocity, their different to hunt with so a guy does need to make a change in his thinking sometimes to maximize their use. I made the switch years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to my hunting experience, I would suggest searching for threads by Broz, they contain detailed records and pictures of kill details using Berger bullets, I think he almost hit 80 elk last year alone!

I would encourage you to read up on the best weights per chambering and velocity, their different to hunt with so a guy does need to make a change in his thinking sometimes to maximize their use.

Yup, I have decided on the hunting 140 VLD and 168 VLD sometime ago, both shot pretty well around .3 MOA out of a featherweight 26 inch Brux 1:9 in a Sako at 300 yards but never touched hide yet. I'll check Broz threads, thanks

I would encourage you to read up on the best weights per chambering and velocity, their different to hunt with so a guy does need to make a change in his thinking sometimes to maximize their use. I made the switch years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to my hunting experience, I would suggest searching for threads by Broz, they contain detailed records and pictures of kill details using Berger bullets, I think he almost hit 80 elk last year alone!

I was hoping you'll chime in. :D

The top bullet track is from left to right it was the 139 Scenar. The bottom track is right to left it was a 140 Amax. The Scenar didn't open up for about 5" then was nearly done by 10" there is a small piece visable in the photo at about 14". The 140 Amax had much more controlled exspantion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 174
"Completely came apart" like this Lapua Scenar I recovered from a blesbuck? (after passing through the breadth of the body and stopping under the skin on the opposite shoulder).
That is not what I like to see in a hunting bullet but I'll take it all day long shooting coyotes.

I got similar performance out of Nosler Ballistic tips which is why I quit shooting them.

I made an absolutely perfect heart/lung shot on a very large boar hog with the 140gr BT 7mm Rem and he ran over 500yds before dying and it was a miracle we were able to find him with the dogs because there was absolutely no visible blood trail.

Recent Posts