Hunting with the 260

Numerous white tail deer, antelope, mule deer, and 3 elk. I started with the Hornady 140 grain SST, but last year I hunted with the Hornady 140 grain a max. Might try 140 grain VLD's this year. No reason why, just an excuse to work up a new load. Both the wife and I shoot them

One whitetail and one mule deer at about 100 yards DRT using 120 gr. berger target hp at about 2900 fps. This is a good light recoiling load.
Drags.

I took two Nebraska deer in 2014 using 120TTSX bullets and RL-17 powder at just over 2900 ft/sec. I think this load would take on elk.

Numerous whitetail (8 or 9) and two coyotes. Shooting the Barnes 127gr. LRX with handloads. This load always makes two holes and lots of internal damage!

Numerous white tail deer, antelope, mule deer, and 3 elk. I started with the Hornady 140 grain SST, but last year I hunted with the Hornady 140 grain a max. Might try 140 grain VLD's this year. No reason why, just an excuse to work up a new load. Both the wife and I shoot them

Any specifics on your A-MAX load, I am starting load development on a new 260 I have . I see on the box of A-MAX a 1/7.5 twist is rec. I have a 1 in 8 Also how did the A-MAX work on ELK and at what range. I have herd this bullet can be very temperamental.

Any specifics on your A-MAX load, I am starting load development on a new 260 I have . I see on the box of A-MAX a 1/7.5 twist is rec. I have a 1 in 8 Also how did the A-MAX work on ELK and at what range. I have herd this bullet can be very temperamental.
I am using h4831 and a federal 210 primer and Remington brass. I am reworking my load as we speak to try to get more velocity. The elk were 300 yards and 250. Both large cows. I wouldn't shoot them in the shoulder with the Amax. They performed like any ballistic tip to me. Entered and rapidly expanded transferring the maximum energy to the animal. I'm happy with it. I may try Berger vlds some day, but the Amax shoot so good that it is hard to move away from them

My 260 seems to only like the 120's. I really would like to shoot 140's. Are you guys having to go to a different twist to shoot the 140's accurately?

I shoot 140gr. A-Maxs. I have an 8 twist Krieger. 41.5gr. H4350 2760fps. Going to Idaho this fall and am going to shoot 130gr. Scirrocos. My rifle really likes them. 43.5 H4350.

If you like the Hornady Bullets you'd be far better off with the 129gr Interbond or 140gr SST on Elk. The Interbond is a very well bonded bullet so it won't break up and the SST is cannelured so while it gives rapid expansion it doesn't break up either and will retain probably at least 60% of it's weight.

Either are much more likely to give you a through and through than the Amax.

I'd also encourage you to look at the Nosler Accubond and Accubond LR.

What have you taken with one and what load do you like. Thanks

I prefer the 130gr VLDs at 2850 - 2940 fps, but the 130gr Accubonds at 2850 work well too.

130gr Hunting VLD at 2860 fps.

Image.jpg

35f1d3e2.jpg

653e1f87.jpg

63715154.jpg

c0859d69.jpg

130gr Accubond at 2850 fps.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.