Hunting with a Remington Sendero FS: Any Feedback/Regrets

General RE LEE

My Remington Sendero in 7mm STW with Leupold Mark 5HD is about 13 lbs. Its a shooter but I have't taken it hunting yet. Anyone hunt or hunted with a heavy Remington Sendero? I plan to hunt box blinds over large fields with the Sendero. I have a Tikka 308 perfect for treestand.

Friend of mine has the exact same rifle. He packs his throughout the hills and mountains in western states and loves it. Heavy, but I would think if you are hunting out of a box blind, your hike in would not be to terrible. I would hunt with it, great rifle and great round.

This is just me, but for sitting in a box like that it's really a shooting gun not a hunting gun and for me for that purpose it'd be awesome.

As I've matured (ok, gotten freaking older...) I wouldn't have much interest in toting it around while my boots were on the ground and moving around:) weenie I know

I have been hunting with my sendero in 300 RUM for 15 years. Only other gun I would hunt with is my 28 nosler which is equally as heavy. I have packed the sendero many miles and I guess you get use the couple lbs of extra weight. Always have enough horsepower and confidence in my gun though. Only thing I have done is swapping out the factory trigger for a timney. As I get older I am considering putting a proof carbon barrel to save a little weight. We will see how my October elk hunt goes.

Have hunted with a Sendero most the time over the last 20 or so years. 270 win, 25-06 and 7 RM. Haven't done any truly steep and high country hunting with one but have toted one through a lot of miles and states and always been happy about it.

My 300WM Sendero was my first bolt action rifle. I've packed it in on foot to place others only go with horses and shot elk. It's heavy but it gets it done.

Now I have a 338 Edge which is within 1-1.5lbs of it, so when I burn the barrel out in another year or so I plan to rebuild it as a much lighter rifle.

It depends on the terrain you are hunting in. I hunted with a 300 Ultra Sendero fluted with a VX5-HD and by the end of the first 11 mile day I had it listed and sold! In the elk county of Eastern Oregon it was to heavy and not worth the energy to pack it. However I am only one man, and everyone is welcome to their own opinions and choices. For me I choose lightweight.

My Remington Sendero in 7mm STW with Leupold Mark 5HD is about 13 lbs. Its a shooter but I have't taken it hunting yet. Anyone hunt or hunted with a heavy Remington Sendero? I plan to hunt box blinds over large fields with the Sendero. I have a Tikka 308 perfect for treestand.
I hunted for years with the Remington 700 heavy police in 300 win of rifle ammo in rifle scope and sling was 14 lbs then after years I went with a AI set up at 22 1/2 lbs but now age ect I have went back to a lighter customs proof bighorn ect and they are 9 1/2 lbs to 11 1/2 lbs

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.