Hunting with a Bolt Action as a Single Shot

I'm concerned loading to mag length with the Berger VLD cause the jump will be .350.
That is a big jump, i can't remember what my jump was for the ABLR's but it was substantial too. Even with that i still found a good spot in between .010 of 2 different seating depths. The group's before and after those 2 were 1 1/2"- 2" groups

I have one rifle that is actually a bolt action single shot. A Savage 112 BVSS in .300WinMag with Pac-Nor 9t and Ryan Mantha reamed throat. This allows me to run the 212gn ELD-X and 115gn Bergers out into the 3.7" territory. Can't remember the CBTO length at the moment but suffice to say "they are longggg" and shoot really good (and fast).
I carry extra bullets with me (butt stock cartridge holder) but rarely have to use another. Not bragging, it's just the whitetails here don't deal with the pounding and punishment this round delivers. Most are DRT, if not it's usually a 25-30yd mad dash to a dirt nap. Once the rifle recoils, I know I'm gonna have to skin something!

Seems to me if you made the first shot count you wouldn't have to kill those dozens of coyotes on the run. ;)

It's crazy how rude they are. They like to visit in pairs or groups. Now, I'm sure a man of your skill just waits until they are standing in line and kills them with a single bullet, but for me, it doesn't work that way. I also miss sometimes. Hitting a 4" circle on an animal that rarely stands still isn't always a one shot event, but I'd love it if you have time to show me how you do it with one bullet there deputy Barney.

Well, I wasn't trying to berate you. I hope it didn't come off that way. I was honestly feeling a little sloppy myself when I thought about how often I do have to put another bullet in an animal, or hit running critters. Coyotes account for most of my follow up shots, and if I'm being honest, I probably average 4+ shots per coyote in the truck. There have been days where I send a dozen after one bushy tail and never scratch them. I hope you have more success in the future with your hunting. We might be the last generations who get to enjoy this in America, the way things are headed.
Sure glad that you don't try to berate people, you know like resorting to name calling. 4+ shots per coyote in the truck doesn't sound like a very good average for a man of your skill level. Sounds a bit like spray and pray but each to his own. Have a good evening sir.

It is very often spray and pray. That is the reality of coyote hunting. You should try it one day. Maybe you can carry like 6 different single shot rifles, you know, to avoid the "noise".

Looking like last of the Mohicans swapping rifles as they sprint away.

There is a reason they developed repeating rifles really early in the process. If one bullet was actually sufficient, we would all be shooting gunwerks single shot muskets with flash pans

I
Most of my rifles I hunt with are single feed for that reason. I put SAP 2 round holders on these rifles and that works for me.
I use these also and love them .

It is very often spray and pray. That is the reality of coyote hunting. You should try it one day. Maybe you can carry like 6 different single shot rifles, you know, to avoid the "noise".

Looking like last of the Mohicans swapping rifles as they sprint away.

There is a reason they developed repeating rifles really early in the process. If one bullet was actually sufficient, we would all be shooting gunwerks single shot muskets with flash pans
Sounds like a fun drill!

I just need 5 more #1's, a gun handler or 2, and a cooperative coyote!

I've hit coyotes perfect broadside with a 22-250 only to have them take off running. Same with a perfect shot at 50 yards on a meat sow (120lb) with a 30-06 180gr Speer Magtip and it took off running. Animals can be tough and take off running when they don't know they're done.

No joke, I've seen deer with goo left for heart and lungs run 50 yards pumping so much blood out of the boiler room Stevie Wonder could track them. Unless you turn off the CNS they can and will run. Have also seen one literally drop straight down and not twitch on a hit I'd call a gut shot. Animals do incredible things.