Hunting with a Bolt Action as a Single Shot

Most of my rifles I hunt with are single feed for that reason. I put SAP 2 round holders on these rifles and that works for me.

Quiet Texan you have made my day!
I stopped with Berger's due to not finding a "sweet spot".
I still have some I'll try them again.
Thanks for the article.
Old Rooster
If you liked that, PRB did a three-article series just last year on seating depth testing that challenged the "close to the lands" mantra using hybrid ogive Bergers. Interesting stuff if you're willing to wade through statistical analysis, and open your mind up to some things that might contradict your personal experience.

Never have had to make a follow up shot?

I make them way more often than I'd like to admit, but then again, between whitetail, coyotes, and small game, I probably hunt 150 days a year, and in total, (not even going to try to count flying birds), I probably kill 60-80 animals each year. Some years I do better than others. My follow up shot percentage would easily be double digits consistently..
Not a very successful hunter. 1984 took a whitetail doe, DRT. Met the person who was to be my wife, now ex, and didn't hunt again until 2007 when we split.
So I'm not a qualified reference. After posting, thought to go delete my post because of that, but you can't on this forum.
I hate sitting in stands, and stalk instead. The only elk I've successfully stalked have been cows.

Not a very successful hunter. 1984 took a whitetail doe, DRT. Met the person who was to be my wife, now ex, and didn't hunt again until 2007 when we split.
So I'm not a qualified reference. After posting, thought to go delete my post because of that, but you can't on this forum.
I hate sitting in stands, and stalk instead. The only elk I've successfully stalked have been cows.
Well, I wasn't trying to berate you. I hope it didn't come off that way. I was honestly feeling a little sloppy myself when I thought about how often I do have to put another bullet in an animal, or hit running critters. Coyotes account for most of my follow up shots, and if I'm being honest, I probably average 4+ shots per coyote in the truck. There have been days where I send a dozen after one bushy tail and never scratch them. I hope you have more success in the future with your hunting. We might be the last generations who get to enjoy this in America, the way things are headed.

I have my barrels made, either for comp or for hunting, for the bullet to be used. In the Blaser you have so much space in the magazine, I shoot long 223 with 85.5 Berger in 223Rem to 300 OTM in 300Lapua. My newest project is 270 Win for 170 Berger. As it will be for hunting the magazine length will be max coal. Never trust your first shot!

There is more the one way to find you node but it is my preference to be able to load from the box in my bolt guns. My Encore, not so much.... Berger has a good reputation for accuracy so by all means give their system a try. I didn't have great results my self. I think you run the risk of jumping right past a node IMHO. My method right now is to load to mag length or SAAMI or whatever fits your mag box and shorten by .003" per group. Eric Cortina has a video on it if you want to try it. Makes sense and is working for me. Search "Chasing the lands is stupid" for an experts explanation of the concept and process.

Well, I wasn't trying to berate you. I hope it didn't come off that way. I was honestly feeling a little sloppy myself when I thought about how often I do have to put another bullet in an animal, or hit running critters. Coyotes account for most of my follow up shots, and if I'm being honest, I probably average 4+ shots per coyote in the truck. There have been days where I send a dozen after one bushy tail and never scratch them. I hope you have more success in the future with your hunting. We might be the last generations who get to enjoy this in America, the way things are headed.
I didn't feel at all that you were trying to do so. Lots of members here with deep skillz, and it's often humbling as well as an honor to participate.
I jumped the shark on responding, when really this was one where I should have just read the thread.
As it is, I'll carry a full internal mag of cartridges, but never plan on using more than one.

Coyotes account for most of my follow up shots, and if I'm being honest, I probably average 4+ shots per coyote in the truck. There have been days where I send a dozen after one bushy tail and never scratch them. I hope you have more success in the future with your hunting. We might be the last generations who get to enjoy this in America, the way things are headed.
Only get out for coyotes occasionally, but definitely a hunt where I utilize a magazine. I hunt coyotes with TT35, he has a habit of putting one in my lap before I figure out we're really hunting!

Only get out for coyotes occasionally, but definitely a hunt where I utilize a magazine. I hunt coyotes with TT35, he has a habit of putting one in my lap before I figure out we're really hunting!
You'll have to tell me what a TT35 is.

I may need one. 🤣

Sorry! He's a member/sponsor here. He has some articles in that section. He owns No Off Season in eastern Oregon offers sage rat hunts, and long range chucks. He's been on TV with the Extreme Outer Limits crew.

I've been fortunate enough to have him guide me for coyotes.

Not as active on the site as he once was

Sorry! He's a member/sponsor here. He has some articles in that section. He owns No Off Season in eastern Oregon offers sage rat hunts, and long range chucks. He's been on TV with the Extreme Outer Limits crew.

I've been fortunate enough to have him guide me for coyotes.

Not as active on the site as he once was
That's why I haven't bought one then