Hunting w/ bthp MatchKing

Steve Douglass

There was a previous post on the 175gn that I tried to get in on, but missed. I have been using the 168gn bthp match, but have considered going to the GameKing in 165gn btsp. I'd prefer to stay with the MatchKing. Is it a good bullet to hunt with. Federal recommends the softpoint over the hollow point. Anyone have thoughts?

The HPBT sierra gameking is made out of hard copper and is only suited for tough big game or punching holes through 1/2 inch of mild steel at 200 yards. I used to use them. I have since switched over to the SPBT like the 175 grain for my 7mm STW wildcat because of it's higher BC.

Those hollow points have lower BC and they have little or no expansion.
I have not had a sub 800 pound animal stop one yet

I have killed or seen killed about two dozen white tail deer that were shot with 168 SMK's. They seemed to work just fine with any reasonable bullet placement. I have actually had more SMK failures on ground hogs than deer. But then, deer are a little bigger, and they don't run down holes!

Rick

A bunch of long range hunters use Sierra match kings on all variety of big game. Search for old posts by darryl cassel. If I remember correctly he uses them more than any other bullet and seems to reccomend them frequently to others.

The only deer I have taken with Game kings did run 15-25 yards but the bullet went all the way through the heart and lung and brought about a pound of lung out of the exit wound with it. That deer wasn't really going anywhere but in the freezer. I will be using either the 165 game king or noslers 168 grain J4 (which is remarkably like the match king) on a bear this spring if I get the draw for the hunt I want.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.