Hunting US / Canada for foreign nationals

sealgair

Hello,

I thought I'd ask the question that has always made me wonder. Over here in Scotland we're inundated with media and information from America (including Canada) and the fantastic hunting that you guys have. I've lucky to have hunted extensively in the UK for most of the deer we have and I love it deeply, you'd think guiding and culling for about 200 days a season would get dull but it really doesn't!

I've always wondered on the practicalities of hunting 'over there' though, and often i'll read things about none resident tags, and wonder if they'd apply to me.

A close friend and I often talk about at some point heading over to hunt 'something' in the states, I actually wouldn't mind too much what it was - although the idea of bear hunting and mountain lion hunting with hounds has been a bit of a fascination since I was small, but more just to experience the back country and wilderness of a scale we just don't have here.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a bit of a simple guide to how it might work - can I draw tags? Hunt public land? Do I need to have a guide/outfitter? Can I bring my own gun? Can I take meat out of the country? etc.

If someone would be kind enough to fill me in a little, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sam

Hope you come over the pond, I know you will enjoy every second hunting here. First and foremost you will need a hunter safety certificate to hunt or even apply for a permit. Not sure if yours will be acceptable or not. It may be depending upon state. Most states have online course you can take so you may want to get that finalized as soon as you can. I hunted with some business colleagues from Germany here and they had no trouble getting their certs beforehand. Keep asking questions! Great forum with lots of helpful guys willing to provide good advice.

If you have connections with an outfitter in Scotland, I would strongly consider trading hunts with an outfitter here in the US. Some of those guys would be excited to consider a hunt in the UK. Hound hunting is pretty exciting, but you better be in shape to keep up with a pack of dogs moving uphill at 9000' elevation. I've taken rifles to Africa, but the last couple of trips I've just used theirs. They take care of them, they shoot well, and it greatly simplifies the travel. Backcountry hunting in Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, or Montana would be a completely different world and it's pretty fun to experience.

A guided pronghorn hunt in Wyoming has a very high success rate and would give you a unique trophy that would start many conversations at home. If you time it right, you could possibly do a combo hunt with elk or mule deer. States might vary, but a foreign national should be able to hunt the same as any other non-resident.

One potential fly in the ointment is proof of a hunter safety course. The actual educational value of taking such a course is debatable for someone who has been hunting for a lifetime, but many states simply will not issue a license or tag without it. You might need to do some checking on that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.