HUNTING SEASONS & TYPES OF WEAPONS USED

......................... No one is forcing anyone to use this new technology, but it's available for anyone who does. The division that's created by these "sides" isn't good for the sport in any way shape or form. And unfortunately, it's the same argument used by those who would like to see those same technological advances out of general public hands. And it's very similar to people making other choices in life. Why would anyone need a car that goes 140 or more when the speed limit is well below that in every state? Does anyone need a house bigger than a certain size? If we're going to go all out, what was wrong with outhouses and hand wells? It's all personal choice................
THAT RIGHT THERE.

The idea of my post was to show that we once had a "TRUE" Primitive Weapon Hunting Season which in reality was only for Primitive Weapons like Muzzle Loading Black Powder and Archery. Some hunters wanted to get an edge on harvesting game and started to change Black Powder Muzzle loading into high tech smokeless powder rifles that shoot as good or better than convectional smokeless powder rifles and Archery now has Crossbows & Air Bows.
It is no longer Primitive Weapons like intended.
This post wasn't about other special seasons for example Youth Season or confining hunters from innovation on weapons. If you want to turn a Black Powder Muzzle loader in a Modern Smokeless Powder I am all for it, but then use it in the regular rifle season.

My state defines muzzleloader as well as primitive. Two totally different seasons. One was never intended to be the other. If you choose to use a flint to ignite your muzzleloader its legal. But your muzzleloader better be flint for primitive.

These posts always end up the same way.
When ever it gets into division, nothing ever good comes out of it.
This same debate flared at the NMLRA a few years back. Traditionalists vowed that if the NMLRA kept modern inline shooting, they were going to leave the Association. It got really bad and all for nothing. A couple guys started it and kept throwing gas on the fire. Thankfully, those guys are now banned from the NMLRA.
Modern inlines, rather production or custom are positively here to stay. Same with compounds and crossbows. The average age of a member at the NMLRA is 70! 70 the average members age!!!!
The numbers needed to maintain the sport will not come from traditional rifle youngsters. Not going to happen. Take away one of their smart phones and hand them a rotary and see what happens.

Yup, there used to be......................

However, there is absolutely zero reason why any hunter shouldn't be able to use the weapon of their choice. If I'm hunting with a Senica and someone comes up with a modern inline, he/she is no less and no more than I. I applaud his/her use of the modern inline and am happy they are hunting instead of bitching on social media.

Why isn't "primitive hunting season" just reserved for rocks, knives, sling shots and spears?

Why is 90's music considered "classic rock"?

Wouldn't peoples definition of "primative" differ depending on their age and point of view?-

-- isn't that's why there are hunting definitions and regulations? To define what is now considered "primative" or "rifle", "pistol"," shotgun", "archery", etc...?

Why do some states allow sbr's during rifle season and some don't?

These rules all differ by state....why?

Ethical clean kill. It's a fact everyone can accomplish an ethical kill better with modern firearms than "primitive" weapons. Yes, those very few who practice a lot can make a clean kill with primitive weapons. Game Commissions are encouraging people to make bad shots by having special seasons for inaccurate weapons. Most hunters wouldn't use bows or muzzleloaders if there wasn't a special season for them, but they are forced to do so in order to be able to hunt. I say do away with all special seasons and open the dates up to everyone not just special needs people. Hunters should be able to use whatever weapon they feel comfortable using for the entire hunting season and not forced to use primitive weapons if they want to hunt.