Hunting scope season - the best of the cheapest?

Has anyone used the Swamp Fox scopes and if they liked them? The price of around $400, 1 st focal plane with etched glass and grid reticle. The Real Gunsmith had a review last week on the Swamp Fox scopes.

If you do not mind a littlw extra weight and a silly logo Try a ten power SUPER SNIPER scope . For a three hundred dollars you get excelent optics and the Super sniper has something none of the other scopes have An NSN number I. E. Military units can buy it . Rated for use on up to 50 cal guns, very good optics and accurate turret adjustments. Now laugh if you want.

Since this is for co-workers asking the question at this time, I would say they are not very serious hunters and probably won't go out more than a couple of times a year so recommending anything over $300 is probably pointless. You want them to set it and forget it because they probably won't spend the time to learn how to use the scope properly nor will they get allot of trigger time in. I would not recommend target turrets or any other tacticool feature. I would not recommend fixed power or a 30mm tube. For a relative novice, I would recommend a 3-9x40 with a simple plex reticle of some kind. The cheapest I would consider is the Bushnell Trophy HD for $150 or less. They are really good scopes for the money and for their purposes probably the best choice. On the high side, the leupold vx freedom 3-9x40 is a good choice for just under $300, The Nikon Prostaff is a good scope for the price. You can find them on ebay for under $150.

Since this is for co-workers asking the question at this time, I would say they are not very serious hunters and probably won't go out more than a couple of times a year so recommending anything over $300 is probably pointless. You want them to set it and forget it because they probably won't spend the time to learn how to use the scope properly nor will they get allot of trigger time in. I would not recommend target turrets or any other tacticool feature. I would not recommend fixed power or a 30mm tube. For a relative novice, I would recommend a 3-9x40 with a simple plex reticle of some kind. The cheapest I would consider is the Bushnell Trophy HD for $150 or less. They are really good scopes for the money and for their purposes probably the best choice. On the high side, the leupold vx freedom 3-9x40 is a good choice for just under $300, The Nikon Prostaff is a good scope for the price. You can find them on ebay for under $150.
Of those the Leupold might be the pick if they are up to $300.
Set and forget with a Lifetime warranty.

The Burris E1 with the Long Range reticle would be my choice in that range. I have one on top of a 6.5x284 and after I get the dope from the BDX binos, find the # on the reticle and shoot. I also like the Bushnell Nitro FFP's. No dialing on either.

My suggestion for a cheap scope is.....
i-got-nothin-i-got-nothing.gif

If you can, I suggest getting an ExpertVoice account.
Many companies listed here have discounts up to 60+ percent off MSRP.
You will have to pass some sort of knowledge test but its worth it.
I just ordered a $5500 Steiner thermal for $1999.
I know Burris offers many models at 40-50 % off.

I've shot Leupold VX2, VX-3 and VX3-LR to the point that they wouldn't hold zero and I had to send them in. The VX-2 on a hard kicking short barrel 284, the VX3 x2, one on a 280 and one on a 7RM, the VX3-LR on a heavy puppy of a 308 after a short brutal career in 3 gun. None of them made it to 1000 rounds. A couple of them didn't make 600 rounds. The 'abuse' on all but the one used in 3 gun I would consider normal hunting use, not abused in any way. Each time I boxed it up and sent it with a letter inside stating the issues. Each time within 4-5 weeks (maybe even 3 weeks?) I got it back completely repaired, the VX2 and the VX3-LR both had to have the erector sets replaced completely, and the VX2 got some new glass somewhere in it, I don't remember. The VX2 cost me a deer when it failed. So for those suggesting that Leupold are somehow tough I know better. For the price point they are bright, clear and light. But they aren't tough. I have beaten the absolute shizzz out of several of the $69-89 whatever Burris 3-9 scopes given to me or that came on cheap combo rifles, I mean I have beaten them like they were a throwaway piece because they are, and all 3 still adjust as they should and hold zero. At least two of them are always mounted and zero'd ready to go on loaner rifles for youth hunts or neighbor kids or whatever comes up. Name and/or price point have little to do with how tough a scope is sometimes.

The SWFA fixed power scopes are some of the most affordable 'quality' scopes out there and nearly impossible to break. If in the OP position I would be VERY hard pressed to not buy one in 6 or 8 or maybe even 10 power and forget it about any worries.

Lots of the old Burris and Redfield domestically made fixed power scopes are fantastic, decent glass and dead solid. Some of the old Japan Tasco fixed power are also really solid. Glenfield right there in the mix but if I recall correctly they might actually be Redfield with a different logo on them?

To my thinking a fixed power scope is always going to be tougher and less problematic than a variable, stay within brands and maybe even price points and I would double down on that thought. Instead of buying a cheap or even a semi OK 3-9 I would recommend the guy that hunts one weekend a year with a wally world rifle and wally world ammo get a decent fixed 4x scope and call it a day. He really shouldn't be shooting far enough to need more than 4x.....