Hunting scope season - the best of the cheapest?

glock24

The Fall season is fast approaching, and the annual question from the co-workers is always identical; what deer-hunting scope should I buy? And I can only spend $200-$300 . . . .

In this price range, I admit I try and prioritize reliability over optical performance. These same co-workers stretching their hard-earned dollar always seem to be the folks abusing their equipment. Heavy recoiling rifles aside, I'm talking about the drops from the back the tailgate, and the trips down endless two-track trails at eighty miles an hour. That said, the top of my list always includes the Burris Fullfield E1 for a very specific reason (direct from their website below)

I have noticed however that referencing erector reliability is not something explicitly stated by many manufacturers. I thought I read something about it from Leupold a few years ago, but I can't find it currently. And I'm not even sure if all of Burris's Fullfield scopes include this feature. For example, the Burris Fullfield IV makes no mention of this. Is it just assumed?

So the question is; can anyone confirm what other makes and models of "cheap scope" prioritize erector reliability? I'd like to know what other options in this price range are available.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Nikon's scopes have decent glass for the money, and include a lifetime guarantee. Same for Vortex I think. Not sure about erector reliability, so if they're dropped on the day of the hunt all bets are off. As an aside, I have seen scopes advertised as "shock-proof".

I've personally seen entry-level Nikon, Vortex, and Bushnell all loose their zero way too easily. Hence the reason for my post. I think specific reliability improvements to the erector system are important, which is why this statement (above) by Burris intruiges me.

I'm done with the companies who claim a "lifetime" warranty when their business model is simply to price their products accordingly with the full expectation that they will be receiving a percentage of broken ones back from their customers. It's just a numbers game. Kinda like car insurance

I guess I need to call Burris and inquire about this detail listed for their Fullfield E1 series. Why is it only listed for this series? Are the other series built differently?

Do you guys remember the Burris "Posi-Lok" system? What a brilliant idea. Unfortunately its no longer made because most users broke it due to operator error.

I have the burris mentioned, bushnell nitro, and a vortex diamondback tactical. I would rank those , #1 vortex, #2 burris, #3 bushnell. No very specific reasons but I seem to like the glass or optics in that order better. The votex is the most expensive but you can pick up used ones in that price range.

I have more Vortex and Leupolds but use Sightron and Burris for truck guns, they may not have the best glass but have never let me down within reason.
The new Arkens can be added to that list as they track as good as ANY scope.

Nikon's scopes have decent glass for the money, and include a lifetime guarantee. Same for Vortex I think. Not sure about erector reliability, so if they're dropped on the day of the hunt all bets are off. As an aside, I have seen scopes advertised as "shock-proof".
I havent kept up in nikons warranty recently -- but they switched it up a while back and I know at one point no longer stood behind the "life time" promise on optics

I havent kept up in nikons warranty recently -- but they switched it up a while back and I know at one point no longer stood behind the "life time" promise on optics
Yup after all the shootings they didn't want to be associated with guns. So they got out of the sporting optics market and with it the warranty is no longer supported.

Always a tough call on cheap as Sh1t and hunting…. I found sightron s-tac to be solid and reliable with decent glass and works well for a budget build. For those worried about tracking etc they should probably just use a bdc reticle and learn how to use it properly for shots out to 500 and limit themselves to more realistic hunting range.