Hunting Scope Recomendations

halpin40

I have been researching a scope for long range hunting (0-1000 yrds) and have been reading threads and gathering inforamtion. However, a number of the scopes recomended are $2k & above and my budget is a little more constrained. I am looke for a scope around $1200 and below in the 5-20 power range. Does anybody have some recomendation for some scopes around these perameters?

I have been researching the following scopes:

Leupold Mark IV M1 6.5-20X 50mm LR/T Matte (30mm Tube) (TMR)
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 AO MC#43 Mil Dot
Swarovski AV 6-18x50 Riflescope BR Recticle

Does anybody have any opinions regarding the zeiss conquest vs the leupold mark IV?

Figured i ad some more information to help with a recomendation.

Will be useing for hunting at various elevations and weather conditions.

Will want a mildot or MOA.

Will be putting the scope on a 300 ultra mag custom rifle and reloading bullets.

Any recomendations or input will be gratly appreciated. Also looked up more inforamtion on sightron scoeps? Any Thoughts or experieces with these scopes?

I,ve used all three scopes so I,ll tell you whatI liked and didnt about each one. I use to be a Leupold man , had numerous Leupold scopes. My main complaint is the parallax adjustment knobs were always coming loose. The optics are ok and the scopes are good. Swarovski scopes of which I,ve owned two are good but I dont like the location of the parallax adjustment ( front of scope). To much movement involved in adjusting parallax, and it has a tendency to get grit in the adjustment ring and becomes unsmooth to operate. Excellent glass and good quality scope.I now own Conquests and Diavaris. I have no complaints on either scope, both have quality optics, I prefer side adjust parallax which both have. I think for the money the Conquest is a great scope. if you can afford the Diavari, I like it better and its very well made both have lifetime warranties. I,ve also used Nightforce, they,re built like a tank, optics are in my opinion not as clear as Swarovski or Zeiss. Suffice it to say Im a Zeiss man. Keep in mind this is only an opinion from a fellow member/shooter, and I,m sure others will share their likes and dislikes as well. hope this helps. Scott N. in Ariz.

Well Leupold has revamped the VXIII's from what I hear in 08 they now have better springs and glass and more adjustment so i would consider those also. I have to say I have never had a problem with any Leupold but I also love my Zeiss. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

are there any opionions on mildot vs a TMR. I have heard comments about mildots are to big vs the TMR. Is this a personal preference or a common experience?

I just had my VX3 revamped to elevation turret M1 and TMR reticle. I'm still tring to figure it out. Yes , I do really like it. I felt its more percise than mil dot. I feel I can dope for the wind with the TMR. I have alot of learning to do. Time to shoot , good luck. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.