Hunting Rifle Decision is made

AKBman

After over 200 rounds through the Weatherby Vanguard, trigger work and load development, I am going to hunt with my old standby, My Ruger M77 MKII in 300 Win Mag loaded with 190gr Berger VLD hunting bullets. The '06 has been a lot of fun, but I am going to need to glass bed it, it just has too many POI shifts right now for me to place my trust in it. It shifts almost an inch between cold and hot, once it is warmed up it shoots a consistent .9" for 3, and 1.250" for 5 shots at 101 yards. I have worked with the trigger, and eventually it will be the Jeep gun I bought it to be. It really seems to like the 180gr SBT the best, the Berger 190gr VLDs 2nd best. It really likes the 180gr Hornady Interbonds with IMR 4451, but the SBT and RL 22 seems to give the most consistent accuracy. I was hoping to find a load it likes with RL 17, but so far the best I have shot is a 1.75" group for 3 shots at 100. I have yet to kill a big game animal here in New Mexico, shoulder injury has taken away the bowhunting I usually do, so hopefully my luck will change this year. The 300 has accounted for elk, caribou, coyotes and one Toklat grizzly bear, hope to add a mule deer to that list.

How did the 190 gr VLD hunting work out on game for you? This bullet is working very well in my 300 Win Mag.

Haven't had the chance to use them on game yet, but the rifle sure likes them. I still need to try the 215s and the 210gr Accubond.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.