Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

People trying to claim that there's some massive ballistic detriment to running one... that's a problem. ;)
I agree, it's been proven, certain cartridges do well in short barrels, a change of components can make one heck of a difference too.
In all the tests i ran, I never saw a velocity loss or gain that was substantial enough to make a difference, nor did I see an accuracy loss. I do believe one rifle I had, shot better groups with a can.

I support brakes and suppressors for most shooters. Silencers are illegal in almost every state. Many non-users are deaf, or close to it! We should be considerate of those near us, as well as ourselves, when shooting!
Not to be a nit picker but ATF refers to them as silencers not suppressors. I am a Class 3 dealer also. My 2 cents.

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.
Far from useless.

I had a 7mm Rem Mag that ran ~2990 w/ H1000 and a 168gr Berger out of a 27" barrel. I cut 5" off and replaced it with a 6" suppressor, switched to Retumbo and with the 168gr shot 3014fps. The Army's M2010, their dedicated sniper system, is also a suppressed 22" 300 win mag. So…

Furthermore the sound out of a suppressed weapon system isn't really directional. Instead of the sound emanating directly out of a port/muzzle it eminates 360 degrees off of the projectile. The sound signature is very different.

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting

I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
Putting one on to save your hearing is a valid reason--especially with some of rifles I hear about here, but I'm a weatherby guy and I don't want to destroy the beauty of the rifle by making it look like a WWII anti-tank gun. Same reason I waited so long to get a muzzle brake-- until I found one that was the same OD and contour as my barrel. Simply put-- on a traditional black walnut stocked rifle, they look stupid as hell. On a black gun, I wouldn't hesitate at all to install one.

Unfortunately it is becoming more common. That is why I stop following some threads very often
This is one of them.

Starts off as a discussion then it goes.....

train trainwreck GIF

@Chase723,

If you used the Retumbo in the first place you would have achieved even more velocity than 3014fps before the barrel was cut.
For sure. It was just a real life demonstration of the fact that just because you cut your barrel doesn't mean that you neuter performance and that there are ways to try and mitigate that which aren't just theoretical.

Unfortunately it is becoming more common. That is why I stop following some threads very often
YUP,.. the UN- Watch Button, HAS been "pressed" ,..by, ME
Several Pages, ago But, I glance at it for, "chit's and giggles" as some of, the BOYS, have, Touchy Feeling, "Problems" and are GOOD for some,..
LAUGH's !

Last edited: