Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

If one of the fashionable crowd has a can they all have to have one, why would you have a 18 inch barrel and the poor preformance that produces then put 6 inches of can back on, to save your hearing on one shot in a great while. monkey see ,monkey doo
Oh look, a 26" barrel with a suppressor... I must be violating the elmer fudd laws of the universe.

MnQYyv0h.jpg

Well here we go again! I see the name of this blog as Long Range Hunting yet see all kinds of responses that belay the true intent of the title of the blog. Yes I will admit that to me 300 yards or less is all that I am comfortable taking a shot at big game at, an honestly much less. Much prefer between 50 and 200 yards but might stretch it to 300 yards if really warranted. I am one that loves to maximize ballistic performance as well as terminal performance on the rifles I use for hunting. Target shooting is entirely a different story. Here I see talk about wanting to shoot large animals out to 800 or 900 yards or more ,but want to have a short rifle 20 inch barrel and a suppressor to shoot as these ranges. OK Folks...I have been in this game for over 50 years and what is proposed here is not ballistic-ally feasible. You don't take a magnum cartridge designed for a 24 inch or longer barrel and shoot it in a 20 inch barrel to begin with is ludicrous. All that powder that exits the barrel burned in the atmosphere outside of the barrel causing a big eruption of muzzle flash is essentially wasted money. A suppressor on a hunting rifle is about as useless as tits on a boar hog. A supersonic bullet will hit the target before the sound of the shot will. Thus the comment in the military that you will never hear the shot that kills you rings true. The supersonic bullet will hit you and kill you before you will hear the sound of the shot from the rifle that it was fired from. Silencers on high power rifles are essentially useless. You may deaden the sound of the rifle going off in the distance but that will be negated by the supersonic bullet hitting the target, whatever that may be before the sound of the shot reaching them. By that time the animal you were shooting at is dead before the sound of the shot reaches them. Wake up people. If you want to chronograph ammo leaving the barrel of a test rifle, same ammo..from two different identical rifles one with a 20 inch barrel with or without your mystical suppressor as opposed to the design 24 inch barrel that the manufacturer's use as their proof rounds for each bullet design, and expect to get better performance than the factory does you are simply delusional. With this I will simply sit back and listen to your diatribe on the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about. Your challenge is to prove me wrong;.

Ok, boomer

I will never go back to shooting unsuppressed if I can help it, especially when hunting. My future builds are based off of shooting suppressed, as there is just no way to go back once you remove the obnoxious concussion from shooting. Looking at a 20" 6.5SS in the hopefully not-too-distant future. It will be wearing this little guy, can't wait till he gets out of jail!

Attachments

• Dominus.jpg
    Dominus.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 58
I hate to say it but here goes. Bottom line, suppress all things. The anti-suppressor folks can neither afford them or cannot legally own them and or have no experience with them. I truly feel sorry for the posters that can't own in the few states that don't allow but you folks that live in free states and don't support the use or post misleading info should be ashamed.

If one of the fashionable crowd has a can they all have to have one, why would you have a 18 inch barrel and the poor preformance that produces then put 6 inches of can back on, to save your hearing on one shot in a great while. monkey see ,monkey doo
Because you never get the hearing back. Ever. It's just gone. And tinnitus is almost worse than not hearing at all.

Honestly if I couldn't hunt surpessred, I'd probably stop hunting. Nothing is worth the loss of my hearing. Some long range stuff you have time for protection, but I don't find that kind of hunting to be the norm.

I will never go back to shooting unsuppressed if I can help it, especially when hunting. My future builds are based off of shooting suppressed, as there is just no way to go back once you remove the obnoxious concussion from shooting. Looking at a 20" 6.5SS in the hopefully not-too-distant future. It will be wearing this little guy, can't wait till he gets out of jail!
Hopefully your Dominus is post recall or has been sent back to Thunderbeast already and cleared as I don't see any weld marks on it. Had to have my Dominus sent back but was deemed non defective.

So you "never suppress" guys still drive all over town in 70' Mach 1 Mustangs and 69 Camaro's with open headers. You are cool but you can't hear **** and all your neighbors hate you.

Hopefully your Dominus is post recall or has been sent back to Thunderbeast already and cleared as I don't see any weld marks on it. Had to have my Dominus sent back but was deemed non defective.
This one was ordered sometime this past spring through Silencer Shop and it became available this past August. It was made after the models that were recalled.

How do you like yours? I've also got a KGM R30K in jail that is even shorter and just as fat, so I'm curious how they will compare to my Ultra 7.

This one was ordered sometime this past spring through Silencer Shop and it became available this past August. It was made after the models that were recalled.

How do you like yours? I've also got a KGM R30K in jail that is even shorter and just as fat, so I'm curious how they will compare to my Ultra 7.
Just got approved a few weeks ago and waiting for the guy to get back in town so I can go pick it up. Unfortunately I haven't shot it yet. Curious to compare it to my Gen 1 Ultra 9.

Also have an Ultra 338 Thunderbeast to pick up from him as well. Can't wait to thread that bad boy on my rifles and see how great that sounds! Probably won't be packing that one in the hills on my 26" barrelled rifles though, but you never know lol.

I hate to say it but here goes. Bottom line, suppress all things. The anti-suppressor folks can neither afford

Let me correct you on this one. I purchased a TB 9 titanium. It is now on my son-in-law's rifle. I am impressed with how quiet his sub-sonic ammo is, but I hunt with a 198 grain bullet at 3,054 feet per second. Oh yea. The rifle has a BIG brake on it.

Don't you still need hearing protection with one?
I have three. If you shoot subsonic ammo you don't need hearing protection. We wear simple earplugs when we shoot suppressed that is not subsonic. I used brakes for years with the best ear protection I could find and I still need hearing aids. I wish I had started using suppressors when I was young.

My dad just killed a deer at 500 yards with his little 18" 6.5 PRC last week, deer was just as dead as if he used a 24" barrel. I spent weeks if not months doing the research and crunching numbers to build a rifle that best fits our needs while using a suppressor. I didn't blindly buy them because someone on the internet said I should.

As I stated earlier one unsupressed gunshot cost me my hearing in one ear for a week. The possibility of being deaf in one ear at 21 was terrifying and I am concerned that next time it may not come back so I will take the the time to build my rifles around being suppressed to never have that happen again.

Let me correct you on this one. I purchased a TB 9 titanium. It is now on my son-in-law's rifle. I am impressed with how quiet his sub-sonic ammo is, but I hunt with a 198 grain bullet at 3,054 feet per second. Oh yea. The rifle has a BIG brake on it.
I use a Dead Air Nomad L on my 26" .300 WM shooting 181 HH at 3260 fps, the suppressor has a brake on it and I don't need hearing protection when I shoot it.

Myself I do not hunt with one, but do own a couple that are on rifles that I practice with. With this being said I look at this as a personal choice do whatever you want and enjoy yourself there is no right or wrong answer

Recent Posts