Hunting Rifle: Anyone Else Have No Desire for a Silencer?

Ok here goes.

OP (statement)
I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

OP (question)
Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer?

Answer:
Nope, I Prefer my hunting rifle to have a suppressor !!

Winner !!!

Ok here goes.

OP (statement)
I see a lot of folks are putting silencers on their hunting rifles, even sacrificing ballistic performance by shortening barrels.

OP (question)
Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer?

Answer:
Nope, I Prefer my hunting rifle to have a suppressor !!

Winner !!!

Boy, that brings back a lot of memories from my young and dumb years. LOL

I have suppressors and muzzle brakes, for me as a general rule I run with a suppressor. As others have stated the animal does not seem to be as able to detect where the shot came from. I have shot at coyotes before and had some even hang around the area instead of running like greased lightning when using the suppressor.
I like not having to wear the additional hearing protection while hunting ( I know some still were hearing protection with a suppressor but I choose not to while hunting ) As important to me as this is, one of the main reasons I love hunting with the can on my rifle is, its just common courtesy. Not only to anyone I might be hunting with but also to any neighbors that are within ear shot. I live in a rural county with less than eight thousand residents, my nearest neighbor is 3/8 or more away. I have to work to see any neighbor's house but sound still travels and gunshots (especially if you shoot much ) make some people uncomfortable. So I use mine for my comfort and enjoyment but also to be a good neighbor.
Have you ever had a neighbor that didn't have a muffler on their vehicle? Kind of annoying at times? Just as a muffler on a vehicle is considered normal, in my opinion, so should a muffler on a rifle be the norm. but having said all that..........I am an adult and I know we can all do what makes us happy. : )

If you've ever had a hearing test they also test hearing through conduction of your mastoid process (bone on skull behind ear) this means you can still hear when your ears are plugged and mouth is closed. The only way to mitigate bone conduction of sound is to mitigate the blast at the barrel.

The only downside not mentioned here about suppressors is heat. If you're working up a load on a relatively windless day then the mirage gets quite significant even with a suppressor wrap like coleTac. I use a battery powered fan aimed right at the suppressor to get rid of this.

That being said I am always going to try an hunt suppressed unless it's a classic rifle like savage 99 or other rifle which is unable to be threaded due to barrel diameter.

As far as balance, I cut my 26" 223 to 20" and miss nothing. My 280AI was built with a 24" CF barrel to move the balance point more to the rear than a steel barrel with a muzzle diameter suitable of suppressor use. My Ruger American predator balances right at the barrel nut with a DT silencerco omega.

I live in a rural area with farmland to shoot my rifles and neighbors sympathetic to shooting sports; but to decrease the noise for my dogs, farm animals, and neighbor's animals suppressors have been tremendously effective.

To me the negatives will never overcome the positives of shooting suppressed.

I would prefer to hear the surrounding sounds. Without hearing protection. As I live in grizzly country now. I have lost hearing from an unexpected firearm discharge. If it would have had a suppresor on that rifle i would still have my hearing. The state I lived in wouldn't allow them. A bunch of Commy's! I am all for suppressor.

Use electronic hearing protection. They turn off at the shot.

I have suppressors and muzzle brakes, for me as a general rule I run with a suppressor. As others have stated the animal does not seem to be as able to detect where the shot came from. I have shot at coyotes before and had some even hang around the area instead of running like greased lightning when using the suppressor.
I like not having to wear the additional hearing protection while hunting ( I know some still were hearing protection with a suppressor but I choose not to while hunting ) As important to me as this is, one of the main reasons I love hunting with the can on my rifle is, its just common courtesy. Not only to anyone I might be hunting with but also to any neighbors that are within ear shot. I live in a rural county with less than eight thousand residents, my nearest neighbor is 3/8 or more away. I have to work to see any neighbor's house but sound still travels and gunshots (especially if you shoot much ) make some people uncomfortable. So I use mine for my comfort and enjoyment but also to be a good neighbor.
Have you ever had a neighbor that didn't have a muffler on their vehicle? Kind of annoying at times? Just as a muffler on a vehicle is considered normal, in my opinion, so should a muffler on a rifle be the norm. but having said all that..........I am an adult and I know we can all do what makes us happy. : )

We SHOULD have a can IF we want one.

I think whether you're a fan of them or not, you should at least support them. We're all on the same team because we own guns. The laws they have on suppressors(I absolutely hate the term "silencer") are asinine. If you choose ear pro or nothing over a suppressor for whatever reasons then great but don't try and make it harder for fellow firearm owners to attain one.

We shooters can't make it any harder to get them.

If unused rifles is causing negative responses they could always be sold, and you could buy more suppressors. In todays market the gun prices are way up and suppressor prices are down comparatively. Time to be happier and get more suppressors.
I've never sold yet and find it a struggle to part ways with them.
But I should get rolling to sell a few items.

I wish I had a suppressor for all my rifles from the time I was young. I'd still have some hearing left.
I have one on a custom built 300 Win Mag built from a Model 70 Winchester. It only adds a few ounces and I can keep 3" group at 500 yards which is way further than I'd ethically shoot any animal. I personally hate muzzle brakes because they make even a quiet rifle a screaming banshee!!! But a suppressor should be mandatory.

Another Democrat.

I can not see me never owning some, they are totally awesome...worth every penny. I dont like the steel ones. Titanium is the only way to go for hunting.

I wish I had a suppressor for all my rifles from the time I was young. I'd still have some hearing left.
I have one on a custom built 300 Win Mag built from a Model 70 Winchester. It only adds a few ounces and I can keep 3" group at 500 yards which is way further than I'd ethically shoot any animal. I personally hate muzzle brakes because they make even a quiet rifle a screaming banshee!!! But a suppressor should be mandatory.
Yikes, that's a fine shooting M-70 at 500 yards, shouldn't your can, beings it's a .30 cal. come in at something like 13oz to 25oz depending on model and make? What kind do you have? What's the weight? I'd be interested in a lightweight can.

Last edited:
I support brakes and suppressors for most shooters. Silencers are illegal in almost every state. Many non-users are deaf, or close to it! We should be considerate of those near us, as well as ourselves, when shooting!
I'm guessing you meant legal. They are legal to own and hunt with in 42 states.

Anyone else prefer their hunting rifle to not have a silencer? Maybe I'm old school but I don't have muzzle brakes or silencers on my hunting rifles.
If one of the fashionable crowd has a can they all have to have one, why would you have a 18 inch barrel and the poor preformance that produces then put 6 inches of can back on, to save your hearing on one shot in a great while. monkey see ,monkey doo